Expired

Upscaling DVD player required

11 replies
Found 10th Jan 2010
As title says

I have just invested my money in a Sony Bravia 32w5500 HDTV, and thought I better upgrade my cheap ASDA DVD player to do it justice.

I am not sure about blu ray just yet. I do have an xbox 360, and heard an add on for that might appear sometime.

For now, I am after a DVD that can connect via HDMI.

What about this one?

amazon.co.uk/Phi…ics

Any opinions would be great. Rep will be given.

11 Comments

we managed to bag a phillips upscaling dvd player from asda for £40 - you wouldnt be wrong thinking it was a blu ray picture - brilliant

Original Poster

spud411;7499449

we managed to bag a phillips upscaling dvd player from asda for £40 - you … we managed to bag a phillips upscaling dvd player from asda for £40 - you wouldnt be wrong thinking it was a blu ray picture - brilliant

Thanks for that. Funnily enough, Asda had a Toshiba for £45 and I was considering it.

Is your phillips one the same one that is my my link (in the first post?)

If it is you would obviously recommend it? Thanks for your help

How about the Sony DVPNS718 HDMI DVD Player to go with your Sony TV, Sainsburys are doing it for £49.99 down from £69.99. Picked one up for my parents just after Xmas, DVD quality seemed very good.

why dont you type in Limit - there has been a recent thread for a Limit make blue ray player at HMV FOR £49.99

up to you nto read the spec before buying

hey bud, the xbox360 itself upscales dvd's when played through it.
its what i do myself =)

Original Poster

bfernie;7499691

why dont you type in Limit - there has been a recent thread for a Limit … why dont you type in Limit - there has been a recent thread for a Limit make blue ray player at HMV FOR £49.99up to you nto read the spec before buying

Oh yeah I forgot about that one. Thanks for that.

Yeah I have considered Sony one, do you have any recommendations? EDIT. Just saw you recommended the one in sainsbury. Thanks i will take a look

Rep added to everyone above

Original Poster

Ace Hayward;7499706

hey bud, the xbox360 itself upscales dvd's when played through it. its … hey bud, the xbox360 itself upscales dvd's when played through it. its what i do myself =)

I didn't realise that, lol.

Does that apply to the console without HDMI (which I have)?

Thanks

EDIT: I still want a separate one, because my 360 is fairly loud, and I often fall asleep with it on

thearbiter65;7499738

I didn't realise that, lol.Does that apply to the console without HDMI … I didn't realise that, lol.Does that apply to the console without HDMI (which I have)?ThanksEDIT: I still want a separate one, because my 360 is fairly loud, and I often fall asleep with it on

should be quieter when playing just dvds as the drive itself doesnt spin as much.
from what i've gathered, VGA and HDMI are the leads to use when upscaling for the 360. i still use my component leads though and haven't really noticed any difference.

Original Poster

I don't really watch DVD's on my 360, so I didn't realise it was that much quieter. I will give it a go, unless I see another bargain.

Thanks for the advice

Original Poster

Any other suggestions before I order the DVD player in my first post?

id go with the £50.00 bluray player as mentioned above, if you have a hdtv and only watching dvds, its a waste of a good telly!

once you've seen a bluray theres no going back! i personally use a Tvix Dvico 7000, cracking piece of kit, bit pricey tho
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Marks & Spencer Credit Receipt?43
    2. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...88
    3. Driving anxiety.1517
    4. Xbox Newbie34

See more discussions