Upto 30% off Intel CPUs Comming Soon

Found 3rd Jan
Sorry, I mean 30% lower PERFORMANCE, not price; on most Intel cpus of the last decade.

Intel Screwed

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
26 Comments

Hope this news is being exaggerated. 30% they got to be kidding!

Original Poster

cowsindahouse8 m ago

Hope this news is being exaggerated. 30% they got to be kidding!

As I read it, 30% is worst case for some types of cpu activity on cpus prior to the current generation; some process's wont be badly affected, but others will take a major hit.

No news on what Apple are going to do, as they use Intel cpus as well.

is this the reason/one of the main reasons why Intel has always had better IPC than AMD?

i'm not looking forward to a 30% performance hit - i wonder if there will be lawsuits for lost productivity etc.

End me

Should be fine but It's a little more worrying that the FDIV issue back in the 90s. Hope it doesn't affect coffee lake as that was my next upgrade choice.

Dam it! been holding on to my second gen i7 for years.
Looks like I maybe getting pushed towards AMD for my next upgrade

It's important to note that the "30% performance hit" claim originates from, and has been most loudly parroted, by AMD fanboys and stockholders on Reddit. It was an estimate based on very little info.

Phoronix have completed their initial round of benchmarks, and in gaming, the fix is pretty much negligible:

phoronix.com/sca…sts

Planning a new build in 6 months, it'll be Ryzen 2 for me then.

dxx1 h, 10 m ago

It's important to note that the "30% performance hit" claim originates …It's important to note that the "30% performance hit" claim originates from, and has been most loudly parroted, by AMD fanboys and stockholders on Reddit. It was an estimate based on very little info.Phoronix have completed their initial round of benchmarks, and in gaming, the fix is pretty much negligible:https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=x86-PTI-Initial-Gaming-Tests

It did say more recent intel processors would probably not be effected as much.

Still probably better than AMD.......

Oh good. A legitimate excuse for me to not do any computer shopping for another month or so, maybe some price drops too?

ARM rules, who uses INTEL or AMD

lumsdot3 m ago

ARM rules, who uses INTEL or AMD

Almost everyone with a PC...

CoeK1 h, 22 m ago

PC stands for personal computer, more web browsing is done on mobiles than desktops nowadays. Mobiles most likely use RISC or Arm chips
My desktop uses an Asus tinkerboard which is risk

CoeK1 h, 22 m ago

Edited by: "lumsdot" 3rd Jan

lumsdot11 m ago

PC stands for personal computer, more web browsing is done on mobiles than …PC stands for personal computer, more web browsing is done on mobiles than desktops nowadays. Mobiles most likely use RISC or Arm chipsMy desktop uses an Asus tinkerboard which is risk

Is that what PC stands for, i always wondered.

I'm not sure why we are talking about web browsing all of a sudden, work gets done on PCs. People who use a PC will almost always be using Intel or AMD. Or are we going to stretch the definition of PC to include mobiles now too?

What is the difference between an ARM chip and a RISC chip?

The first benchmarks are in.

computerbase.de/201…ke/ (Intel Core i7-7700K)

hardwareluxx.de/ind…tml (Intel Core i7-3960X)

The difference is, indeed, negligible. Other hardware configurations or other software applications may show more of a hit, but for now, the "30%" claim looks pretty much debunked.

AMD owners, your time is now!

Original Poster

dxx4 h, 53 m ago

The first benchmarks are …The first benchmarks are in.https://www.computerbase.de/2018-01/intel-cpu-pti-sicherheitsluecke/ (Intel Core i7-7700K)https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/hardware/prozessoren/45319-intel-kaempft-mit-schwerer-sicherheitsluecke-im-prozessor-design.html (Intel Core i7-3960X)The difference is, indeed, negligible. Other hardware configurations or other software applications may show more of a hit, but for now, the "30%" claim looks pretty much debunked.

I for one dont read German; also a little worried about this, as the patch isnt officially out of beta for Win10 yet.

The testing done for Linux shows a huge drop in performance for some cpu operations, the range is 5% to 30%; so expect Intel shills to pick the 5% results and blame AMD shills for the 30% claims.

Now, I will admit, most of my PCs run AMD, but I dont have any issues with Intel as a brand; I am really impressed with how a Xeon 5xxx in a decade old system can stack up against much newer AMD systems, although not in the Rizen league.

AMD have had their bad years, both the generations of cpu design prior to Rizen were pretty pathetic; I actually ditched my FX chips and went back to Phenom II's

The major performance hits seemingly will be with servers hosting VMs.
But it's early days so best to wait and see how it pans out.

Original Poster

Agharta9 m ago

The major performance hits seemingly will be with servers hosting VMs.But …The major performance hits seemingly will be with servers hosting VMs.But it's early days so best to wait and see how it pans out.

It does look like the tcp takes the biggest hit; but this worries me, if they are just isolating the leak to the local PC, what is to stop new spyware targeting the leak and getting it out disguised as other traffic??

CoeK15 h, 34 m ago

Is that what PC stands for, i always wondered.I'm not sure why we are …Is that what PC stands for, i always wondered.I'm not sure why we are talking about web browsing all of a sudden, work gets done on PCs. People who use a PC will almost always be using Intel or AMD. Or are we going to stretch the definition of PC to include mobiles now too?What is the difference between an ARM chip and a RISC chip?

Arm is a brand name. Was part of Acorn computers before it got sold. Reduced Instruction Set Computer Vs Complex Instruction Set Computer.

Just means a SoC or CPU with less instructions.

kester7650 m ago

Arm is a brand name. Was part of Acorn computers before it got sold. …Arm is a brand name. Was part of Acorn computers before it got sold. Reduced Instruction Set Computer Vs Complex Instruction Set Computer.Just means a SoC or CPU with less instructions.

Interesting. So there isn't a difference between an ARM chip and a RISC chip.

CoeK18 m ago

Interesting. So there isn't a difference between an ARM chip and a RISC …Interesting. So there isn't a difference between an ARM chip and a RISC chip.

Arm just stands for Advanced Risc Machines.
en.wikipedia.org/wik…ure
There are other Risc CPUs out there though.

You might come across Hitachi Risc chips like in the Sega 32x -> Dreamcast every so often but they aren't as common as ARM ones. Power PC is another, Sun UltraSPARC, MIPS etc

Hitachi SuperH
en.wikipedia.org/wik…erH

Here's a bigger list of RISC/CISC architectures.
en.wikipedia.org/wik…res
en.wikipedia.org/wik…ter

Gentle_Giant14 h, 19 m ago

I for one dont read German; also a little worried about this, as the patch …I for one dont read German; also a little worried about this, as the patch isnt officially out of beta for Win10 yet.The testing done for Linux shows a huge drop in performance for some cpu operations, the range is 5% to 30%; so expect Intel shills to pick the 5% results and blame AMD shills for the 30% claims.Now, I will admit, most of my PCs run AMD, but I dont have any issues with Intel as a brand; I am really impressed with how a Xeon 5xxx in a decade old system can stack up against much newer AMD systems, although not in the Rizen league.AMD have had their bad years, both the generations of cpu design prior to Rizen were pretty pathetic; I actually ditched my FX chips and went back to Phenom II's

I'm sorry you're not able to read fairly simple charts.

We translated Intel's crap attempt to spin its way out of CPU security bug PR nightmare - The Register
theregister.co.uk/201…ns/

Quote:
"By the way, here's what Linux kernel supremo Linus Torvalds had to say about this: "I think somebody inside of Intel needs to really take a long hard look at their CPUs, and actually admit that they have issues instead of writing PR blurbs that say that everything works as designed.

"Is Intel basically saying 'we are committed to selling you s*** forever and ever, and never fixing anything'?" "
Edited by: "m00head" 4th Jan

Original Poster

dxx6 h, 30 m ago

I'm sorry you're not able to read fairly simple charts.

Unless you understand the methodology and the actual testing behind the chart, a chart is useless. There are also THREE different bugs in play, only one of which is of major concern (and doesnt affect AMD cpus, or most ARM cpus).

From further reading, general PC operations are not badly affected, it is networking that takes the real hits, with server farms probably suffering the most due to all the networked storage.

Despite the new patches CERN are suggesting you should rip out and throw away the affected Intel cpus; and replace them with units not affected.

Do you think they own shares??
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants