uPVC door fix help

Posted 22nd Jun 2020
I hope someone can advise me how to fix these issue I'm having please thanks

Issue 1:
uPVC door locking mechanism is jammed. This is not the main key lock that's jammed but the bottom part of it. So when you turn the key there's two parts that come out from the multi point lock on the side of the door, one on the top and one on the bottom. Bottom is jammed sticking out. Cannot close the door, I've used wd40 but it didn't do anything.

Issue 2: the uPVC door has dropped and causes problem closing most times. I e adjusted the hinges with Allen keys using this guide and a few YouTube videos but hasn't done anything. Link. It's a butt hinge.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Issue 1, sounds like you need a new lock. Sounds like a spring inside has broken and caused the hook to get stuck. You could try taking it apart, removing the damaged piece, reassembling it and seeing if that works. You'll probably need a triangle security bit to open it.
Is the lock Mila or Millenco?

Issue 2 sounds like the door wasn't toe and heeled correctly when installed. Might be too much for you to do yourself.

both issues should be resolvable in less than an hour by a pro, so shouldn't be too expensive.
sounds like it is knackered so i would get the door man out as these doors are a pig to fix and you could spend all day and make the thing worse!

the door dropped has warped the lock mechanism so they are now stuck so the drop will need to be fixed.
spruceyb22/06/2020 17:36

Issue 1, sounds like you need a new lock. Sounds like a spring inside has …Issue 1, sounds like you need a new lock. Sounds like a spring inside has broken and caused the hook to get stuck. You could try taking it apart, removing the damaged piece, reassembling it and seeing if that works. You'll probably need a triangle security bit to open it.Is the lock Mila or Millenco?Issue 2 sounds like the door wasn't toe and heeled correctly when installed. Might be too much for you to do yourself.both issues should be resolvable in less than an hour by a pro, so shouldn't be too expensive.

Hi thanks it's Mila. I think the second issue is because it was dropped for so long maybe the hinge went bent with it. Who knows. If I could get a reasonable quote I'd call them out. But only seeing costly ones so trying to see if I could do it myself. Can you link me to the triangle bit please thanks
MR112322/06/2020 17:41

Hi thanks it's Mila. I think the second issue is because it was dropped …Hi thanks it's Mila. I think the second issue is because it was dropped for so long maybe the hinge went bent with it. Who knows. If I could get a reasonable quote I'd call them out. But only seeing costly ones so trying to see if I could do it myself. Can you link me to the triangle bit please thanks

This is super common with Mila locks, deal with them multiple times a year.

My triangle bit is fashioned from a ground down hex bit, so can't help with a link but ebay should have a triangle security bit set with plenty of sizes in it.

Make sure you document the disassembly with photos so you know where everything goes.

Here's how you'd toe and heel the door, youtube.com/wat…OsM
spruceyb22/06/2020 21:24

This is super common with Mila locks, deal with them multiple times a …This is super common with Mila locks, deal with them multiple times a year.My triangle bit is fashioned from a ground down hex bit, so can't help with a link but ebay should have a triangle security bit set with plenty of sizes in it.Make sure you document the disassembly with photos so you know where everything goes.Here's how you'd toe and heel the door, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je42Kgl_OsM

That's a video of someone changing beading
chocci23/06/2020 05:16

That's a video of someone changing beading

Try watching it again.

You remove the two beads (top and hinge side) to get at the glass packers and lift the door by putting more in.
spruceyb23/06/2020 09:38

Try watching it again.You remove the two beads (top and hinge side) to get …Try watching it again.You remove the two beads (top and hinge side) to get at the glass packers and lift the door by putting more in.

Surely that just lifts the glass, not the door alignment?
chocci23/06/2020 15:26

Surely that just lifts the glass, not the door alignment?

Are you not watching the video?
He's packing above the glass which lifts the frame.

OP has maxed out his hinge side adjustment. This is how he sorts the drop on the lock side.

My dad's been making and fitting windows for over 30 years and I've worked for him occasionally so I know how to fix a dropped door or sash.
spruceyb22/06/2020 21:24

This is super common with Mila locks, deal with them multiple times a …This is super common with Mila locks, deal with them multiple times a year.My triangle bit is fashioned from a ground down hex bit, so can't help with a link but ebay should have a triangle security bit set with plenty of sizes in it.Make sure you document the disassembly with photos so you know where everything goes.Here's how you'd toe and heel the door, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je42Kgl_OsM

Thanks I got two repair guys both said it's beyond repair as the lock they use it's not made anymore. So won't help if getting it lifted.
MR112323/06/2020 21:42

Thanks I got two repair guys both said it's beyond repair as the lock they …Thanks I got two repair guys both said it's beyond repair as the lock they use it's not made anymore. So won't help if getting it lifted.

King Solutions would have a replacement lock.
spruceyb23/06/2020 21:47

King Solutions would have a replacement lock.

Thanks will take a look later.
Post a comment
@
    Text