Upvc door lock problem

Found 19th Feb
I don’t know how to fix the upvc door in my parents kitchen. The keys turns to lock but not all the way. The key then remains half turned but it still locks the door. I’d rather not leave the key in but I have no choice in order to lock it. Any ideas as to how to fix the door? I don’t really want to leave the key in position fearing that someone might smash the window on the door to gain entry

Any suggestions appreciated

Bruce287
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
If its like mine you may have to "jiggle" it a bit as the key turns not only the lock but 2 or 3 other locks on the door . Open the door and turn the key ( you will see 2 or 3 other locks come in ) . Grease /lubricate these "hooks " and hopefully you will find it locks properly .
Original Poster
rogparki4 m ago

If its like mine you may have to "jiggle" it a bit as the key turns not …If its like mine you may have to "jiggle" it a bit as the key turns not only the lock but 2 or 3 other locks on the door . Open the door and turn the key ( you will see 2 or 3 other locks come in ) . Grease /lubricate these "hooks " and hopefully you will find it locks properly .

It's not lot the hooks...think it's the lock that's not sliding properly in the lock in frame itself
bruce2872 m ago

It's not lot the hooks...think it's the lock that's not sliding properly …It's not lot the hooks...think it's the lock that's not sliding properly in the lock in frame itself

Does it "lock " OK with the door open ? If you see what I mean .
Edited by: "rogparki" 19th Feb
Original Poster
rogparki12 m ago

Does it "lock " OK with the door open ? If you see what I mean .

Yeah it locks fine when the door is open just once the door is closed it half turns leaving the key inside
Check to see if the door is rubbing on the frame. If it is then the door may need rehanging.
Had that before with a barrel lock - did it when we managed to put a key in from both sides at the same time in error! Could not get one of the keys out whenever the door was locked - key would only remove when the door was unlocked.

Had to change the barrel lock. - Screwfix sell most types, but obviously you will have to wait till tomorrow. Very easy to change over provided you buy the right size barrel.

If you need a fix now you could find an emergency locksmith but that will likely cost you upwards of £200!
Firstly take the barrel out and check it for marks these should be visible if there are any. In the middle of the barrel there is an arm that when the key is turned moves the locks to lock the door. The barrel can normally be released by removing the metal around the handle and with the door open there is a screw in the middle unscrew it and the barrel will slide out. Check it and refit.

If you still have a problem then check all the lock sliders around the door. Look for marks where they aren’t aligned properly, also check for obstructions such as small stones, grit, blue tack etc. If you find marks then check the alignment and adjust, if you have many of them out then it’s likely that the hinges have dropped and by adjusting the hinges normally using an Allen key it should realign them all and the door will close again.
UPVC Doors should be checked and adjusted every 2-3 years.
Original Poster
I think it's the middle lock when the barrel is...I've changed the barrel already. Literally when the door is closed, I cannot turn the key fully...when it's open I can
Can you take a photo?
Also you mentioned you changed the barrel, was it like it before you changed it? As there are lots of different sized barrels.
If you open the door and then lock it can you lock it fully and remove the key? Or does it still only go half way?
Original Poster
cmdr_elito13 m ago

Can you take a photo?

Unfortunately I'm working at the moment so I can't take a photo, but yeah it was the same before hand. I've measured up the barrel size so that's accurate. If I open the door then it turns fine and I can remove the key however, once the door is closed, the key doesn't turn all the way
bruce2877 h, 16 m ago

Unfortunately I'm working at the moment so I can't take a photo, but yeah …Unfortunately I'm working at the moment so I can't take a photo, but yeah it was the same before hand. I've measured up the barrel size so that's accurate. If I open the door then it turns fine and I can remove the key however, once the door is closed, the key doesn't turn all the way

It sounds like the door is out of alignment or one of the locking sliders/hooks are out of alignment. As I mentioned try and look for any wear, scuffs and scratches to see where it is catching and make adjustments accordingly. It may still be a case of adjusting the hinge.
open the door then lock it in the open position, then close the door and with a pencil make a mark of the position of each locking part on the frame, you will then be able to see if they are all lined up, there should be little caps or holes on the hinges which will allow access to allen key bolts that will allow you to adjust the door, its probably just dropped slightly. ( plenty of guides or video on you tube )
If someone smashes the glass, the key is rather irrelevant. I always leave my keys in my upvc doors and can't see the issue.
They don't smash the glass to gain access, they smash the glass to reach the key.
No one smashes the glass anymore. They snap the bottom front of the door handle to expose the barrel lock, snap the front of the barrel lock off and turn the mech with a screwdriver. Takes about 30 secs and won't wake anyone close by
Original Poster
kester769 m ago

No one smashes the glass anymore. They snap the bottom front of the door …No one smashes the glass anymore. They snap the bottom front of the door handle to expose the barrel lock, snap the front of the barrel lock off and turn the mech with a screwdriver. Takes about 30 secs and won't wake anyone close by

They smash the window to reach the key...but you are correct about the lock...I've swapped all the euro cylinders in my house as anti lock snappin locks
bruce28710 m ago

They smash the window to reach the key...but you are correct about the …They smash the window to reach the key...but you are correct about the lock...I've swapped all the euro cylinders in my house as anti lock snappin locks

Same here, was shocked at how fast someone could break the lock and gain entry. Went for Yale superior series anti-bump/snap design. You can still pick them but the skill set is a lot higher.
Original Poster
kester764 m ago

Same here, was shocked at how fast someone could break the lock and gain …Same here, was shocked at how fast someone could break the lock and gain entry. Went for Yale superior series anti-bump/snap design. You can still pick them but the skill set is a lot higher.

Snapping locks to break the barrel is easy...and it's all over YouTube...I've got the same ones with 3 stars on them. Around £33 each bargain for what it is at the end of the day
The door isn’t locking as the key barrel cannot complete its full locking rotation.
The fact it works when the door is open certainly points to a hook problem.
Try replicating the issue. Open the door, lift the handle up partially. Can you lock with the key and remove or get similar symptoms as if it was closed?

You need to adjust one or more of the hooks/locking pin guides in the door frame. One is preventing a full engagement of the door.
Original Poster
Oneday7720th Feb

The door isn’t locking as the key barrel cannot complete its full locking r …The door isn’t locking as the key barrel cannot complete its full locking rotation. The fact it works when the door is open certainly points to a hook problem. Try replicating the issue. Open the door, lift the handle up partially. Can you lock with the key and remove or get similar symptoms as if it was closed?You need to adjust one or more of the hooks/locking pin guides in the door frame. One is preventing a full engagement of the door.

Cheers I'll have a go when I'm home... If it's open I can do everything but not when the door is closed. Just don't know how to fix the matter
cmdr_elito19th Feb

UPVC Doors should be checked and adjusted every 2-3 years.

Mines 15 years old and still like new works great
kester7620th Feb

Same here, was shocked at how fast someone could break the lock and gain …Same here, was shocked at how fast someone could break the lock and gain entry. Went for Yale superior series anti-bump/snap design. You can still pick them but the skill set is a lot higher.

Went for ABS barrels very expensive but have a magnetic pin in for added security
cliosport654 h, 35 m ago

Went for ABS barrels very expensive but have a magnetic pin in for added …Went for ABS barrels very expensive but have a magnetic pin in for added security

cliosport654 h, 37 m ago

Mines 15 years old and still like new works great

I think it depends on what weather hits a door, ours is a GRP and sometimes gets tough to close if it gets too hot or cold. Seals well but still get a small breeze where the main lock is.
cliosport654 h, 35 m ago

Went for ABS barrels very expensive but have a magnetic pin in for added …Went for ABS barrels very expensive but have a magnetic pin in for added security

I didn't even know that tech existed
kester768 m ago

I think it depends on what weather hits a door, ours is a GRP and …I think it depends on what weather hits a door, ours is a GRP and sometimes gets tough to close if it gets too hot or cold. Seals well but still get a small breeze where the main lock is.

That is a fair point you raise and I never thought of it. Our door is out of the way of the weather so that is more than likely the case.
cliosport657 h, 29 m ago

That is a fair point you raise and I never thought of it. Our door is out …That is a fair point you raise and I never thought of it. Our door is out of the way of the weather so that is more than likely the case.

Yep and also size of the door. Larger French doors or doors that are left open for long periods are more prone to needing alignment adjustment.
Pandamansays20th Feb

They don't smash the glass to gain access, they smash the glass to reach …They don't smash the glass to gain access, they smash the glass to reach the key.

Lol, if they'd smashed the glass in a door, all the glass would fall out so they wouldn't need a key. The glass in a upvc door is very hard to break and very loud, as others have mentioned, they would break the lock, not the glass.
Edited by: "chocci" 24th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants