Groups

UPVC door no longer fits properly - help needed

I have a UPVC front door which was fitted 16 months ago. I've noticed now that the bottom of the door no longer seems to fit flush with the frame and the temperature of the hallway has dropped noticeably along with being able to hear the street outside.

What are my rights with getting the installer back out to resolve/realign the door? I've tried google, but I'm not having much luck.

15 Comments

my door sometimes does this - u just need an alan key. If you take off the plastic cover off the hinge you can re align it yourself in seconds.

dont they have a ten yr warranty

wickedteen;8000387

dont they have a ten yr warranty

yes - but its such an easy thing to fix - a quick turn of an alan key and job done.

Banned

bossyboots;8000413

yes - but its such an easy thing to fix - a quick turn of an alan key and … yes - but its such an easy thing to fix - a quick turn of an alan key and job done.

allen key

goldmax;8000432

allen key

every time I typed it I knew it didnt look right :oops:

Original Poster

bossyboots;8000364

my door sometimes does this - u just need an alan key. If you take off … my door sometimes does this - u just need an alan key. If you take off the plastic cover off the hinge you can re align it yourself in seconds.

Is it the allen bolt on the underside of the hinge (vertical) or to the side of the hinge (horizontal)?

suchafunkymonkey;8000485

Is it the allen bolt on the underside of the hinge (vertical) or to the … Is it the allen bolt on the underside of the hinge (vertical) or to the side of the hinge (horizontal)?

now your pushing it :lol: its the small circle 'bit' (sorry!) the piece that isnt on the actual door.

Once we adjusted ours - what a big difference re. the cold

Banned

this is an easy fix , you need to insert allen key into hole on side of each hinge and turn to achieve 8mm overlap on outerframe, put pencil marks on outer frame to make job easier,

this is similar to our hinge - and u would put the allen key on the top bit to the left handside of pic

[IMG]i789.photobucket.com/alb…jpg?t=1267562693[/IMG]

Banned

do one turn at a time and check, last time i did this i couldnt even shut the door

usually a 4 or 5mm allen key needed to adjust hinges. the nut at the bottom of the hinge is to lower or raise the door and the nut/nuts at the side is to push the doors closer or further apart. only adjust small bit at a time as if you adjust too much it can take a long time to put right. As goldmax says use a pencil guide line if needed.

Original Poster

bossyboots;8000590

this is similar to our hinge - and u would put the allen key on the top … this is similar to our hinge - and u would put the allen key on the top bit to the left handside of pic[IMG]http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/bossybootsmgt/hinge2.jpg?t=1267562693[/IMG]

Do you adjust it with the door open or closed?

suchafunkymonkey;8000644

Do you adjust it with the door open or closed?

Well I done it with door closed - but as Sassie said, just a tiny turn at a time and check it.

I've got the same problem, but there's no where to put allen key in the hinge? Any ideas?

Banned

J_B;8001390

I've got the same problem, but there's no where to put allen key in the … I've got the same problem, but there's no where to put allen key in the hinge? Any ideas?

underneath the hinge
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2486
      2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1521
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767390
      4. Old one pound coins are they worth more then their face value1115

See more discussions