uPVC Door problem

Posted 22nd Jun 2020
I can't get my uPVC door open. The key turns fully and the door does seem to be unlocked. But it seems somewhere the mechanism has failed i.e. a hook isn't going back. Any advice on getting the door open without removing the door from hinges? Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
lol, seems like a day for people with similar problems!

there was me and someone else with a canopy problem and now you and someone else with the upvc door problem.

you should be able to work out if it is the locking mechanism that is broke or the door lock cylinder. when you lift the door handle to open the lock mechanism, do you hear and feel it move?
Take the handle off. Where the spindle goes through is there another spindle hole? If so put the spindle in and open the door.
mutley122/06/2020 18:03

lol, seems like a day for people with similar problems! there was …lol, seems like a day for people with similar problems! there was me and someone else with a canopy problem and now you and someone else with the upvc door problem.you should be able to work out if it is the locking mechanism that is broke or the door lock cylinder. when you lift the door handle to open the lock mechanism, do you hear and feel it move?

Hi, I can hear both the lock cylinder and the lock mechanism move.
marshy5122/06/2020 18:59

Take the handle off. Where the spindle goes through is there another …Take the handle off. Where the spindle goes through is there another spindle hole? If so put the spindle in and open the door.

Only one spindle hole.
moneysaver8022/06/2020 20:55

Only one spindle hole.

With the door unlocked and handle down so the hooks should be retracted, push the door away from the frame from top to bottom in the places where the hooks are. Where you can’t push it will be where the hooks broken. Then you may be able to push out and lift the leaf up to unhook the hook. It will be easier if you can take the panel/glass out. Obviously if you get it open you going to have to close it for security. So probably best to get some fitters round to do it for you
marshy5122/06/2020 21:09

With the door unlocked and handle down so the hooks should be retracted, …With the door unlocked and handle down so the hooks should be retracted, push the door away from the frame from top to bottom in the places where the hooks are. Where you can’t push it will be where the hooks broken. Then you may be able to push out and lift the leaf up to unhook the hook. It will be easier if you can take the panel/glass out. Obviously if you get it open you going to have to close it for security. So probably best to get some fitters round to do it for you

Have tried with panel still in. Will give it a go after removing them. Any suggestions what is the best thing to slide inside to work the hook? Thanks
I’d use a wrecking/utility bar. Put some cardboard where your bars are otherwise you’ll dent the plastic. If you do get it open you could cut the broken hook off with an angle grinder and metal blade. Assuming you have these tools?!
Sounds like the lock mechanism has gone. Without the tools and know how it maybe a job for a locksmith, this way they can open your door with no damage and all they need to do is replace the faulty part.
GlasgowEd22/06/2020 22:48

Sounds like the lock mechanism has gone. Without the tools and know how it …Sounds like the lock mechanism has gone. Without the tools and know how it maybe a job for a locksmith, this way they can open your door with no damage and all they need to do is replace the faulty part.

Might go with locksmith just to get door open and replace door mechanism myself.
Replacing the mechanism is a simple enough job, getting hold of a replacement is a different matter. Hope you get it sorted.
moneysaver8022/06/2020 20:54

Hi, I can hear both the lock cylinder and the lock mechanism move.

if you can hear them both move then the door may be stuck to the frame somehow. or that they move but not enough to fully open the door. i am thinking the locking mechanism is not fully retracting when you push the handle down so you can't open the door as often the lock mechanism can't be operated until the yale lock is fully open, so the fact that you can hear the lock mechanism move, indicates the fault is with the mechanism and not the yale lock.

sounds like you need a locksmith round.
I’ve got this exact same issue with my upvc back door, locks ok, I can hear the hooks moving open and closed, but door is stuck fast. Was fine yesterday evening with no signs of it sticking etc.
Wedge a thin piece of metal sheet under the hooks when the door is unlocked. Gently hammer the bottom of the sheet to then push the hook into a open position.
Have you tried kicking it? We had the same problem at our old house, I got frustrated with it so kicked it and heard something drop into place so tried the door and it opened, never had the same issue again in the two years or so after before we moved.

Maybe banging it with the palm of your hand up and down the lock side would be better than a kick.
harlzter23/06/2020 15:29

Have you tried kicking it? We had the same problem at our old house, I got …Have you tried kicking it? We had the same problem at our old house, I got frustrated with it so kicked it and heard something drop into place so tried the door and it opened, never had the same issue again in the two years or so after before we moved.Maybe banging it with the palm of your hand up and down the lock side would be better than a kick.

as daft as it sounds, always worth a try. i often use this method to fix tech stuff. i just chuck it across the room or hold it about 3 foot off the floor then drop it. sometimes it does work, lol
mutley123/06/2020 15:53

as daft as it sounds, always worth a try. i often use this method to fix …as daft as it sounds, always worth a try. i often use this method to fix tech stuff. i just chuck it across the room or hold it about 3 foot off the floor then drop it. sometimes it does work, lol

I bet like me you can remember when the tv picture would suddenly start scrolling and a slap on the side of the telly would solve it, and changing channel was a case of re-tuning it each time with the knob. This was mostly in a touring caravan as a kid with a 12v powered portable TV hooked to an old car battery.
Edited by: "harlzter" 23rd Jun
harlzter23/06/2020 15:56

I bet like me you can remember when the tv picture would suddenly start …I bet like me you can remember when the tv picture would suddenly start scrolling and a slap on the side of the telly would solve it, and changing channel was a case of re-tuning it each time with the knob. This was mostly in a touring caravan as a kid with a 12v powered portable TV hooked to an old car battery.

i remember we had an old TV that went green in colour and i got my brother's shoe and wacked it a few times as hard as i could on the side and on the top. it solved the problem but every now and then it would do it again, so i would need to get the shoe out again, lol

i also tried to replace the RAM in a desktop tower and it didn't work. it didn't turn on at all so i picked it up about 3 foot off the carpeted floor and dropped it vertically so it hit the floor with a thump. then i turned the power switch on and it worked fine

i tried that again a few months ago with a faulty laptop but this time it didn't work. it made it worse

then i threw a mouse across the carpeted floor from one end of the room to the other end when it stopped working and that frightened it enough into working again
I tried pushing at the door and it does seem the hooks have released but it's catching in the centre. Where the key lock is. If it's the lock that's not engaging any manual way of pushing it in? Thanks.
moneysaver8023/06/2020 22:54

I tried pushing at the door and it does seem the hooks have released but …I tried pushing at the door and it does seem the hooks have released but it's catching in the centre. Where the key lock is. If it's the lock that's not engaging any manual way of pushing it in? Thanks.

Unfortunately if it is a faulty cylinder you will need to remove the handles and then snap the lock out.

You can do this without the aid of a professional locksmith by using two large locking pliers and a hammer, but you could damage the door slightly.

However even a locksmith damages it slightly when using the right tools. Any damage would be concealed by the door handle housing.

Once you snap the cylinder out you will be able to use a flat head screwdriver to open the latch.

When I lost a key for my back door upvc double doors, I ended got a locksmith to come and snap the lock out and replace 2 cylinders, only cost me £60 and took him around 30mins. Cylinders are around £10 each depending on the type, my locksmith provided 3 star cylinders, so I basically paid him around £40 for labour.

By the time you get the tools in place, work out how to do it all and potentially cause damage, a locksmith would have done it all properly. Once you get it done by a pro once, you learn plenty of tips from them as well which is invaluable.
Jay9124/06/2020 03:24

Unfortunately if it is a faulty cylinder you will need to remove the …Unfortunately if it is a faulty cylinder you will need to remove the handles and then snap the lock out.You can do this without the aid of a professional locksmith by using two large locking pliers and a hammer, but you could damage the door slightly. However even a locksmith damages it slightly when using the right tools. Any damage would be concealed by the door handle housing. Once you snap the cylinder out you will be able to use a flat head screwdriver to open the latch.When I lost a key for my back door upvc double doors, I ended got a locksmith to come and snap the lock out and replace 2 cylinders, only cost me £60 and took him around 30mins. Cylinders are around £10 each depending on the type, my locksmith provided 3 star cylinders, so I basically paid him around £40 for labour.By the time you get the tools in place, work out how to do it all and potentially cause damage, a locksmith would have done it all properly. Once you get it done by a pro once, you learn plenty of tips from them as well which is invaluable.

If it's the lock gear box would this method still work?
moneysaver8024/06/2020 09:53

If it's the lock gear box would this method still work?

I really wouldn't be able to say as I have no idea what a lock gear box is Though I have just googled it and ours do have a lock gear box. To be honest im not entirely sure how door locks fully work. But just another thing for me to look up now.

I base my knowledge on when I had the locksmith come to my house to replace cylinder in my rear pvc doors, luckily all my doors In the house are pretty much the same system, so whatever I saw him doing and described above is more for my system. Though this system is very much alike many others who have upvc doors.
Post a comment
@
    Text