Expired

upvc window gearbox advice required

Found 17th Dec 2011
Went to open one of our upvc windows and only 1 of the shootbolts is working. I think it may be the gearbox. I have removed all the screws that are visible on the actual frame and can't see how to access the gearbox. It is a Saracen roller lock gearbox, does the actual glass need to come out? Or can anybody point me in the right direction to a diagram or YouTube video.
Thank's.
Community Updates
AskWindows
7 Comments
once you have taken the handle off the window , you just then un-do the screws thats hold the gearbox....then it will slide out.. look online for you nearest upvc supplier and take the part to them as there are many different sizes.. they will be cheap to buy and are easy to fit yourself rather than paying for someone else to do it.
As above, once the handles is removed it pulls the spindle out with it which should releases the lock. I have a local supplier who i get all my spares from, hes based in co durham but deals on ebay too, his user is sashstore09, hes bot a few boxes on there but i dont think im allowed to put a link.
Thanks Mash and Rockerfella, not sure if I have explained myself right. I had already took the handle off and all that you can see is the hole in the frame where the square bar goes from the handle to the gearbox mechanism and 2 other holes in the frame one either side of this. I just can't see how it can be released without taking the actual glass out
sometimes the lock is placed in the window profile then its welded within, theres different ways of getting them out, maybe take a picture and i will take a look.

Took some photos
s1121.photobucket.com/alb…rs/

Thanks.

rockerfella20

sometimes the lock is placed in the window profile then its welded … sometimes the lock is placed in the window profile then its welded within, theres different ways of getting them out, maybe take a picture and i will take a look.

does the window open? if so open the window and take a picture of the mechanism from underneith so i can see the bolts. cheers
Right, managed to open the window and took a photo s1121.photobucket.com/alb…jpg
A bit awkward to access so have took the bottom plate off the kitchen window which were all fitted at the same time so assume they are the same. Here's a photo
s1121.photobucket.com/alb…jpg
Since taking the bottom plate off it looks as though I should be able to get a spanner on each of the rods and unscrew them. I thought it was a saracen gearbox but not entirely sure , but the bottom plate has eclipse printed on it. Can you tell from the photo? And is this the correct way to remove them.
Thanks.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants