URGent Adivce needed - Ryanair and CHECK IN

Found 27th Jun 2009
Hope someone here can help as im getting a bit worreid and annoyed about this!!

Basically a week ago i booked a cheap flight online to come from Belfast to East Midlands for someone to come over to visit. Online check in required the traveller to have there passport number to hand which they cannot find (misplaced, lost passport sort of thing) but i said not to worry, for a small charge you can check in at the airport with photo id (Driving license)

Ive now had an email from Ryanair stating check in at the airport isnt an option if you booked your flight after the end of May (which i did) so now im in a situation where i have 6 days left, the traveller has no passport to complete the online check in with little chance of sorting one out. Am i screwed? There was no mention of this at all when i booked the flight, it clearly stated youcouldcheck in online for free, or at the airport for a fee

22 Comments

have you called ryanair and asked them?

Original Poster

ive tried but they are not available again now for reservations and stuff until Monday and with time running out i wanted to find out earlier if possible what i can do

Are driving licences accepted as a travel document on Ryanair flights?A … Are driving licences accepted as a travel document on Ryanair flights?A valid driving licence with photo is an accepted travel document on domestic flights but can only be used if checking in at the airport. A driving licence is NOT accepted when using online check-inPLEASE NOTE – passengers making new bookings from the 20th May 2009 onwards will no longer be able to select to check-in at the airport and therefore will be unable to book flights and use their driving licence as photo-id. From the 1st October 2009 driving licences will NO LONGER be an acceptable travel document on Ryanair flights

Looks like you're screwed I'm afraid

Original Poster

ahhh ****!!! i cant believe it,there was no indication of this when i booked, what a con!

kristianity77;5602448

ahhh ****!!! i cant believe it,there was no indication of this when i … ahhh ****!!! i cant believe it,there was no indication of this when i booked, what a con!

I am sure it was in the T&C that you didn't read

Original Poster

yeah but it said when i booked i had the option of online checkn in and airport check in. ive just done a dummy run now booking something else on there site and it still has no mention of it and still says you can check in at the airport on there page, for 40 quid, with no mention of this after 28th May date or wheneer it is

bad times

Info on getting quick passport here

direct.gov.uk/en/…htm

Edit- just read on and says not for lost passport, sorry

Banned

A lost passport probably won't be replaced within the timescale required.

]If you need a replacement urgently If you need to travel … ]If you need a replacement urgently If you need to travel in less than two weeks you should make an urgent application for a new passport. You can use the Fast Track one-week service (the Premium one-day service is not available for replacement passports). First you should call the IPS Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000 to make an appointment at a Regional Passport Office.

Original Poster

aScottishBloke;5602618

A lost passport probably won't be replaced within the timescale required.

yeah because it wll be classed as a lost passport theywont guarentee this timescale. its a shame just gonna have to cancel the trip :x

Have you checked with the procedures for obtaining an Irish passport? That might be quicker than getting a British one if this person is born in NI or Eire and can get down to Dublin's passport office quick.

Banned

kristianity77;5602627

yeah because it wll be classed as a lost passport theywont guarentee this … yeah because it wll be classed as a lost passport theywont guarentee this timescale. its a shame just gonna have to cancel the trip :x

Using this ]site should allow you to get to East Midlands for less less than the cost of a replacement passport.

aScottishBloke;5602671

Using this ]site should allow you to get to East Midlands for less less … Using this ]site should allow you to get to East Midlands for less less than the cost of a replacement passport.

Thats a GREAT site - was looking to go home for a couple of nights in August... cheapest return was £71.... looking on here just short of £40.

Rep added :thumbsup:

Banned

Becksdawe;5602697

Thats a GREAT site - was looking to go home for a couple of nights in … Thats a GREAT site - was looking to go home for a couple of nights in August... cheapest return was £71.... looking on here just short of £40.Rep added :thumbsup:

Yes, no passport required. I did Carlisle to Dublin City Centre last year. £27 return and a very pleasant journey. Train and fast ferry right into Dublin. :thumbsup:

You still have enough time to sort it out.You can check in online with ryanair up to 4 hours prior to departure which means you can still get a new passport issued by then.I am sure that you could have it issued on the same day if you contact passport agency..No need to panic

Original Poster

think in the end to get around it just gonna book a flight with BMi instead, another 90 quid just for the flight compared to 20 for Ryaniar but backed into a corner prettymuch with the timescales

I travelled with Ryanair for the first AND LAST time a month ago. I couldn't book online - their fault and charged me an extra £70 for checkin and baggage. REAL RIP OFF
Their staff were less than helpful, they must trawl deeply to select the worst type of people. Fot the cabin baggage, some young back packers who were in front of me were made to take out an item of clothing and wear it, to enable them to get on. Jobs worth or not? They were only mm out in fitting the bag tester plus an older couple were asked to 'bin' some clothing for the same purpose. Ryanair is OK if you like a cattle truck of an airplane to travel in. Small seats, packed in and bad attitude staff.

It was on the radio yesterday that if you don't check in online, even though it's Ryanair's fault that you can't do it, you will still have to pay the fee for checking in at the desk. It sucks

VenomSS;5602646

Have you checked with the procedures for obtaining an Irish passport? … Have you checked with the procedures for obtaining an Irish passport? That might be quicker than getting a British one if this person is born in NI or Eire and can get down to Dublin's passport office quick.

An Irish passport is quick, 10 days from you submit the form till they issue the passport.

michaelmakro;5603151

I travelled with Ryanair for the first AND LAST time a month ago. I … I travelled with Ryanair for the first AND LAST time a month ago. I couldn't book online - their fault and charged me an extra £70 for checkin and baggage. REAL RIP OFFTheir staff were less than helpful, they must trawl deeply to select the worst type of people. Fot the cabin baggage, some young back packers who were in front of me were made to take out an item of clothing and wear it, to enable them to get on. Jobs worth or not? They were only mm out in fitting the bag tester plus an older couple were asked to 'bin' some clothing for the same purpose. Ryanair is OK if you like a cattle truck of an airplane to travel in. Small seats, packed in and bad attitude staff.

thats Ryanair for you, im surprised they've not got the passengers flying the plane themselves !

Original Poster

yeah its a proper pain. I dont think i will be using them again. You dont even need a passport to get from Belfast to East Midlands so why they are insisting on it is an absolute joke!
Post a comment
@
    Text