Groups
    EXPIRED

URGENT advice needed re new laptop Old one just died and I rely on it for all shopping etc

PLEASE would some of you laptop savvy people give me a bit of advice, I would be most grateful. My trusty Packard Bell has just died

after three and a half years daily use. The only thing I didnt like about it was that it was hot a lot and the fan was on most of the

time. mI am almost housebound and so do rely heavily on my laptop and need to get a new one seriously ASAP. I mostly use it for shopping, browsing, storing photos, keeping in touch via facebook and skype. I dont do gaming etc. So Id lke something reliable that wont overheat at the drop of a hat. A replaceable keyboard is good too - my PB one cost only 13.00 for a replacement keyboard. Something around 250 would be ideal if doable but up to 300 if necessary. I actually want to buy two, as Im using the bfs laptop and its taken g30 mins to make this post on this clapped out dinosaur!

I did trawl through 22 pages of "Ask" and couldn't find a thread that fitted.

Thanks in advance

21 Comments

I'd recommend a chromebook. I've had one for over a year and never touch my laptop now. It's silent, has about a 7hr battery life and does all I need it to do, as, like you I mainly surf the Web on it

I'd recommend ensuring regular maintenance (possibly annually) which includes someone checking the cpu fan internally to ensure it's dust free and the vents are not clogged up.

If you was local and I had pre knowledge of model of laptop - I'd search youtube (hint hint) on how to check said cpu fan - most pc's and laptops used constantly always attract dust particles and will need maintenance especially those in a dusty/smokey environment or used on surfaces like bedding.

T A L K - Technicians Against Laptop Killers

http://core0.staticworld.net/images/article/2012/12/laptop-fan-dust-100018370-large.jpg

A laptop is not just for Christmas

R S P D F L - Royal Society for the Prevention of Dust Filled Laptops have been contacted with your post

Edited by: "philphil61" 24th Dec 2014

To meet your needs then the chromebook is a good suggestion. But with your budget, consider a tablet. Touchscreen is really wonderful and unless you really do a lot of typing on a QWERTY keyboard it is ideal. And there are quite a few laptops these days that have touchscreen. And you can also get QWERTY keyboards for tablets - I have one attached to my Tesco HUDL 2. Aren't you lucky - it breaking down just when the sales are about to start?

This looks like a good contender - click here
    Edited by: "tardytortoise" 24th Dec 2014

This is not the fastest laptop on the planet but for what you require it would be perfect. At under £200 you can't go wrong. Not sure what you mean by a replaceable keyboard as all are replaceable.

HP 255 G3 Quad Core Laptop

AMD A4-5000 Quad core Accelerated Processor
    with AMD Radeon Graphics
    4GB RAM + 500GB
    Webcam + 15.6" LED
    Bluetooth + Windows 8.1 With Bing

ebuyer.com/669…abu

Review here: pcadvisor.co.uk/rev…ew/

your better off trawling through deals section rather than ask!

search for laptops in deal section

I would recommend a Chromebook too - For what you need it for this would be ideal.

You should have bought a MAC, it costs a lot more but then you do get the quality.

allowed

You should have bought a MAC, it costs a lot more but then you do get the … You should have bought a MAC, it costs a lot more but then you do get the quality.

Is this trolling? You get the quality you pay for a similar price laptop has about the same quality as a mac. For ops purposes it would be complete overkill.

As others have said a chrome book or tablet would suit you perfectly. It's worth waiting for the sales, I'm sure there will be something to suit your budget and requirements

The HP 255 G3 Quad Core Laptop is a good laptop as I purchased one for a friend a few months ago for £220.

Chidmas

Is this trolling? You get the quality you pay for a similar price laptop … Is this trolling? You get the quality you pay for a similar price laptop has about the same quality as a mac. For ops purposes it would be complete overkill.

Yeah, the high end/cutting edge tech in a £1000 laptop (of any brand) isn't going to benefit online shopping. It is well worth considering spending a little more though. If you're using the laptop heavily enough to kill it in only three and a half years and the keyboard in even less than that then you may save money in the long run by going for a £400-500 laptop designed for durability that lasts six or seven years.

laptopsdirect.co.uk/Hew…asp
    laptopsdirect.co.uk/HP_…asp

Original Poster

Firstly, thankyou very much to everyone that replied (except phil = rude and just wrong, full of assumptions). It was so nice of you all to take the time.

benjammin316

I'd recommend a chromebook. I've had one for over a year and never touch … I'd recommend a chromebook. I've had one for over a year and never touch my laptop now. It's silent, has about a 7hr battery life and does all I need it to do, as, like you I mainly surf the Web on it

happymanuk

I would recommend a Chromebook too - For what you need it for this would … I would recommend a Chromebook too - For what you need it for this would be ideal.

INDUSTRYHATER

As others have said a chrome book or tablet would suit you perfectly. … As others have said a chrome book or tablet would suit you perfectly. It's worth waiting for the sales, I'm sure there will be something to suit your budget and requirements

tardytortoise

To meet your needs then the chromebook is a good suggestion. But with … To meet your needs then the chromebook is a good suggestion. But with your budget, consider a tablet. Touchscreen is really wonderful and unless you really do a lot of typing on a QWERTY keyboard it is ideal. And there are quite a few laptops these days that have touchscreen. And you can also get QWERTY keyboards for tablets - I have one attached to my Tesco HUDL 2. Aren't you lucky - it breaking down just when the sales are about to start? This looks like a good contender - click here

Thanks for your suggestions. I should have been clearer that I need a keyboard= I chat on average with some friends and family most evenings and with bf when he is home in Sweden. I am useless at texting and terrible on touch screens but can type about 80 words per minute. So I think a proper attached keyboard is necessary for me. Im going to look at all the different larger chromebooks now to check them out fully.

philphil61

I'd recommend ensuring regular maintenance (possibly annually) which … I'd recommend ensuring regular maintenance (possibly annually) which someone checking the cpu fan internally to ensure it's dust free and the vents are not clogged up.If you was local and I had pre knowledge of model of laptop - I'd search youtube (hint hint) on how to check said cpu fan - most pc's and laptops used constantly always attract dust particles and will need maintenance especially those in a dusty/smokey environment or used on surfaces like bedding.T A L K - Technicians Against Laptop KillersongA laptop is not just for ChristmasR S P D F L - Royal Society for the Prevention of Dust Filled Laptops have been contacted with your post

My last laptop and this one have lasted four years and three and a half years respectively, used for hours every day. I know how to keep them clean inside and out, virus and bloatware free. I am on a budget and look after all my belongings. I have typed properly for 35 years so keep my laptop on a laptop table constantly, it has never been near a duvet and it certainly is never in a smoky or dusty atmosphere. The laptop ran hot with a clean fan. I only replied to your rude post to show how wrong you are and suggest you dont make gross assumptions.

NEtech

This is not the fastest laptop on the planet but for what you require it … This is not the fastest laptop on the planet but for what you require it would be perfect. At under £200 you can't go wrong. Not sure what you mean by a replaceable keyboard as all are replaceable. :)HP 255 G3 Quad Core LaptopAMD A4-5000 Quad core Accelerated Processorwith AMD Radeon™ Graphics4GB RAM + 500GBWebcam + 15.6" LEDBluetooth + Windows 8.1 With Binghttp://www.ebuyer.com/669147-hp-255-g3-quad-core-laptop-k7h92es-abuReview here: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/laptop/3591086/hp-255-g3-budget-laptop-review/

Thanks very much NEtech, this is looking like the main contender so far for my needs. Great price, solid looking, previous good experience of HP and I got my old HP from Ebuyer.

mutley1

your better off trawling through deals section rather than ask! search … your better off trawling through deals section rather than ask! search for laptops in deal section

Thank you Mutley. I do understand that and I did look at several, but I just needed some recommendations given my limited knowledge of up to date pricing, specs, reliability etc. I didnt want to buy something way over spec, or with features i dont need.

nacho99

The HP 255 G3 Quad Core Laptop is a good laptop as I purchased one for a … The HP 255 G3 Quad Core Laptop is a good laptop as I purchased one for a friend a few months ago for £220.

Thanks Nacho, second recommendation for this laptop, looking like a real contender.

therealslimkaty

Thanks for your suggestions. I should have been clearer that I need a … Thanks for your suggestions. I should have been clearer that I need a keyboard= I chat on average with some friends and family most evenings and with bf when he is home in Sweden. I am useless at texting and terrible on touch screens but can type about 80 words per minute. So I think a proper attached keyboard is necessary for me. Im going to look at all the different larger chromebooks now to check them out fully.

Chromebooks have keyboards - they look like regular laptops but just run ChromeOS rather than Windows - Boot up within a couple of seconds.

A chromebook does have a keyboard, it's like a laptop essentially. I'd be lost without my one

Chromebooks are fine, but if you use WIndows based software then you may hit problems. I tried Linux on my laptop and soon ran into problems, I still have it on the laptop but now just use the laptop for surfing and not much else. I use Windows 7 on the main PC as I use software that is Windows based.

With a Chromebook the OP could encounter a similar problem. Also what are Chromebooks like for driver connectivity like printers and such? I have never used a Chromebook but I assume Chrome OS is not compatible with Windows software (correct me if I am wrong), and with it being a new OS I assume a lot of drivers may be a pain the backside to source? (again correct me if I am wrong).

Original Poster

therealslimkaty

Thanks for your suggestions. I should have been clearer that I need a … Thanks for your suggestions. I should have been clearer that I need a keyboard= I chat on average with some friends and family most evenings and with bf when he is home in Sweden. I am useless at texting and terrible on touch screens but can type about 80 words per minute. So I think a proper attached keyboard is necessary for me. Im going to look at all the different larger chromebooks now to check them out fully.

benjammin316

A chromebook does have a keyboard, it's like a laptop essentially. I'd be … A chromebook does have a keyboard, it's like a laptop essentially. I'd be lost without my one

Thanks you two. I meant the tablet recommendations re the keyboard. Someone said the chromebook has certain keys missing that normal laptops have, is that right? is it easy enough to use or do you have to get used to it? Ive never used an OS other than Windows before.

therealslimkaty

Firstly, thankyou very much to everyone that replied (except phil = rude … Firstly, thankyou very much to everyone that replied (except phil = rude and just wrong, full of assumptions). It was so nice of you all to take the time.My last laptop and this one have lasted four years and three and a half years respectively, used for hours every day. I know how to keep them clean inside and out, virus and bloatware free. I am on a budget and look after all my belongings. I have typed properly for 35 years so keep my laptop on a laptop table constantly, it has never been near a duvet and it certainly is never in a smoky or dusty atmosphere. The laptop ran hot with a clean fan. I only replied to your rude post to show how wrong you are and suggest you dont make gross assumptions.

Where was I rude? It's well known to anyone who has technical knowledge/experience that both pc and laptop cpu's inluding psu's "attract". due to the nature of the design, Any fan (even fans that keep you cool in the summer heat) attract a build up of dust that sticks to the blades and the result could be as bad as the image above. I didn't say you was dirty - what I did say was point out the facts. No laptop should overheat unless either it's vents/fans are clogged up or it's being over stretched with tasks.

An apology would be nice but seeing you attitude to a reasonable reply (which contained some humour) I doubt it's not forthcoming.
    Edited by: "philphil61" 24th Dec 2014

therealslimkaty

Thanks you two. I meant the tablet recommendations re the keyboard. … Thanks you two. I meant the tablet recommendations re the keyboard. Someone said the chromebook has certain keys missing that normal laptops have, is that right? is it easy enough to use or do you have to get used to it? Ive never used an OS other than Windows before.

If you just use your Windows machine for web browsing, then the Chromebook doesn't take any learning.

You login to the laptop, start up the web browser, and everything is similar to before.

From memory they don't have a CAPS LOCK key, but there is a key combination to do this (if you really want to), and obviously don't have the Windows Flag keys.

If you are not sure your best bet would be to try one out in one of the shops

Original Poster

philphil61

Where was I rude? It's well known to anyone who has technical … Where was I rude? It's well known to anyone who has technical knowledge/experience that both pc and laptop cpu's inluding psu's "attract". due to the nature of the design, Any fan (even fans that keep you cool in the summer heat) attract a build up of dust that sticks to the blades and the result could be as bad as the image above. I didn't say you was dirty - what I did say was point out the facts. No laptop should overheat unless either it's vents/fans are clogged up or it's being over stretched with tasks.An apology would be nice but seeing you attitude to a reasonable reply (which contained some humour) I doubt it's not forthcoming.

Double negative in your last sentence.

I posted the thread asking a question, you answered none of it, insted you made assumptions. I didnt find it humorous though I do have a properly developed sense of humour So, correct you will not be receiving an "apology" for your rude, assumptive post and follow up rude one.

Original Poster

happymanuk

If you just use your Windows machine for web browsing, then the … If you just use your Windows machine for web browsing, then the Chromebook doesn't take any learning.You login to the laptop, start up the web browser, and everything is similar to before.From memory they don't have a CAPS LOCK key, but there is a key combination to do this (if you really want to), and obviously don't have the Windows Flag keys.If you are not sure your best bet would be to try one out in one of the shops

Thanks for your reply happyman. I see a 14 inch chromebook on the argos site that looks good, will consider it with the recommended HP laptop.

Phil not rude.Helpful advice with humour.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…48
      2. Electricity67
      3. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)59
      4. iPhone charging cable.917

See more discussions