urgent Legal Advice - Walking out of a Job

Found 29th May 2011
I'm considering walking out of my job tomorrow as I'm completely fed up with my manager. It's only a Waiting on Job but I'm worried about breaching my contract.

Basically, he doesn't listen to anything you tell him. Such as he okayed me to have 3 weeks off for my University exams, yet I've worked every week because he's put me on the rota and I've been stupid enough to.

As it was happening I phoned on tuesday and spoke to the boss to make sure I definately had this week off (Sunday 28th to Saturday 4th) as my hardest exams are this week. So I'm in on a 13 hour shift tomorrow and apparently working during my exam on Thursday, to this he said I can have it off if I can find cover!!

I said I'd work tomorrow morning until 2pm as they don;t have many staff on but he said I'd have to work until 6. If I get there and he still says that I'm walking out. Also, I'm going to ask for an extra week off so I can go home after my exams to relax. I feel this is reasonable under the circumstances, if he say's no, I'll also be tempted to walk.

My contract states I have to give a weeks written notice if I want to leave.

If I walk out, can they withhold wages from me or not give me them all together? We get paid every 4 weeks so I'm owed about £200 for the last few and that would go into my bank on Friday 10th June.

I'm leaving for work at 9am tomorrow so any advice before then would be greatly appreciated.

James
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
28 Comments
Why don't you just call in sick? Nothing they can do about that...
Original Poster
I wouldn't when I've said I'll come in, I'd prefer to show them I keep to my word. To be honest I'll be quitting soon anyway, but just worried about getting paid if I speed the process up and walk if it comes to that
How long have you worked there? How many days holiday do you have left?
Original Poster
I've only been there about 3 months and have about 3 or 4 days holiday to take, I've not currently taken any as it's done on on average of how much you work over a given period since starting...
I'd just walk, I have never had a problem with getting my wages after walking out of a job, lifes too short to waste with idiot bosses tbh
James...

I wouldn't when I've said I'll come in, I'd prefer to show them I keep to … I wouldn't when I've said I'll come in, I'd prefer to show them I keep to my word. To be honest I'll be quitting soon anyway, but just worried about getting paid if I speed the process up and walk if it comes to that

Why does it matter to you that you can keep your word if you are planning on leaving soon?
Kitten13

I'd just walk, I have never had a problem with getting my wages after … I'd just walk, I have never had a problem with getting my wages after walking out of a job, lifes too short to waste with idiot bosses tbh

Are you currently employed? Wouldnt you want to be able to ask any for references in future?
Go in tomorrow morning, give him your weeks notice, and tell him that's the last you'll be seeing of him seeing as you are on annual leave this week.
dh058977

Are you currently employed? Wouldnt you want to be able to ask any for … Are you currently employed? Wouldnt you want to be able to ask any for references in future?

He's in University, so he'll leave no gap on his CV if he wasn't to list the employer..

3 months waiting on tables is hardly going to stoke the fire of his career anyway

Do what Dehumanization says..
Edited by: "spritey" 29th May 2011
Did you receive a written copy of your employment contract and was it signed by you and your employer?
Dehumanization

Go in tomorrow morning, give him your weeks notice, and tell him that's … Go in tomorrow morning, give him your weeks notice, and tell him that's the last you'll be seeing of him seeing as you are on annual leave this week.

Sounds good to me. In future you need to get your priorities sorted; this job and all the hard-work you've been putting in are for your degree; compromising your exams with your job is just silly.
spritey

He's in University, so he'll leave no gap on his CV if he wasn't to list … He's in University, so he'll leave no gap on his CV if he wasn't to list the employer.. 3 months waiting on tables is hardly going to stoke the fire of his career anywayDo what Dehumanization says..

The question wasnt for the OP! it was for the post I quoted.
Edited by: "dh058977" 29th May 2011
Do you work for a Bookmakers by any chance?
since it's only a waiting job i'd tell them to shove it where the sun doesn't shine, if it was a better job( no offence) i'd attempt to work out a solution before quitting

never walked out of a job myself so can't advise on the wages but i can't see them being allowed legally to hold back money that you have already worked for

cath1510

Do you work for a Bookmakers by any chance?

Thats what i thought till i read on a bit lol

Guess you do , in which case i feel your pain, worst job going atm aaargh lol
HaggisHunter

Thats what i thought till i read on a bit lolGuess you do , in which case … Thats what i thought till i read on a bit lolGuess you do , in which case i feel your pain, worst job going atm aaargh lol

So you work for them too.
OP when you say its just a "waiting on" job, do you mean you are" waiting on" a better job coming along or your job is to "wait on" people asin serve them food and drink?
cath1510

So you work for them too.

Well wouldnt say "work", i grace them with my presence and do what i need to do, to get through the day lol
Idiots higher up that dont have a clue, if they left the shops alone, the shops would be a lot better, just like they used to, before one daft rule came in, then another and another
If i could get out i would, god knows iv been looking X)
I have walked out of many many jobs. One was a taxi driving job. I went round their house for my pay the following Friday (was a real job on the books and everything). His wife told me where to go because i did not hand a weeks notice in.

I stood there having a massive argument with her, basically telling her she had no legal right to keep my money, I had worked those hours, whether I walked out or not I am still legally owed money for what I have worked.

This was on a Friday dinner time, she refused to budge so I told her I am off up to see my solicitor, no way is she getting away with this. I went home to tell our lass the crack and set off walking into town to see my solicitor. After about half a mile walking I got a phone call from our lass telling me I had to go and see my ex boss.

I went down and he gave me my money.

I have also walked out on other jobs without giving any notice at all (yes I know, I am charming, lol) and every time I have been paid what I worked without any hassle.

Not sure of the legalities but if I were you I would just tell them to shove it and walk and tell them to do your pay and any holiday pay they owe you.
Edited by: "InfernoGroup" 29th May 2011
HaggisHunter

Well wouldnt say "work", i grace them with my presence and do what i need … Well wouldnt say "work", i grace them with my presence and do what i need to do, to get through the day lolIdiots higher up that dont have a clue, if they left the shops alone, the shops would be a lot better, just like they used to, before one daft rule came in, then another and anotherIf i could get out i would, god knows iv been looking X)

X) aahh the bookies, best place to work if you want a skive. Money for nothing.
cath1510

X) aahh the bookies, best place to work if you want a skive. Money for … X) aahh the bookies, best place to work if you want a skive. Money for nothing.

Guess its not the bookies with the big red signs then, work more pay less is their motto lol
Just glad i'm not a cashier, cos if i'd joined under the current terms i woulda laughed at them and told them where to go lol
HaggisHunter

Guess its not the bookies with the big red signs then, work more pay less … Guess its not the bookies with the big red signs then, work more pay less is their motto lolJust glad i'm not a cashier, cos if i'd joined under the current terms i woulda laughed at them and told them where to go lol

What are you then if you're not a cashier?
Manager, dont get sucked into it, its not worth it lol
Banned
Walk, manager is taking you for a fool. You only forgo your reference not your wages.they have no legal right to withhold wages.
InfernoGroup

stuff

Cool story bro'

If you feel working there is detrimental to your exams then you should leave!
Edited by: "sancho1983" 29th May 2011
Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, I don't want to hand my notice in today unfortunately as if I can get another week or two work it would help a lot financially as I've got to pay £1200 for my student house on 13th June which is going to pretty much wipe me out.

And yeah it's a crappy serving food job, so nothing special really. The boss is a cock, I've worked 14 hour shifts before with no break purely because I was the only member of staff on in the restaurant, it's ridiculous!

I have a copy of my contract but it's not signed or filled in at all, only the one that he kept was signed and filled it...

I'm actually waiting to hear from another job I had an interview for last week, really hoping that comes around then I've no financial worry of leaving this straight away!
Banned
James...

I don't want to hand my notice in today unfortunately as if I can get … I don't want to hand my notice in today unfortunately as if I can get another week or two work it would help a lot financially

Bizarre...why the original post? No matter what people say you are staying for a bit anyway!!!!

Had a great answer for you and read through each post but can't be bothered now....good luck.
Original Poster
konimitsu

Bizarre...why the original post? No matter what people say you are … Bizarre...why the original post? No matter what people say you are staying for a bit anyway!!!!Had a great answer for you and read through each post but can't be bothered now....good luck.

As in if he tried to make me stay longer or said I couldn't just work until 2, I would have handed it in then. But if he was civil about it as it was his mistake then I'd prefer to stay a bit longer to get a bit more money and find a new job.

Turns out when I said I was going to leave at 2 or get the next bus home he changed his mind from last night and agreed for 2pm as he is understaffed. So I'll work a few weeks after my exams whilst I'm looking for an alternative job in the meantime.

Thanks for the helpful replies though!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants