Urgent paint coverage question

Posted 22nd SepEdited by:"HappyShopper"
Need to paint an area of approximately 60 square metres with two coats of paint.

Paint covers upto 17 square metres per litre.

Paint tin is 5 litres in size.

According to Dulux, I only need 7 litres of paint which would be two 5 litre tins.

Surely this can't be right!

Please help.....

BTW, need an answer ASAP as the promo on the paint expires soon....
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
120 square metres total.

1 can of paint does up to 17x5 = 85 square metres

2 cans will do up to 170 square metres.
Sorry but I can't confirm that for you, however why not just purchase a few more tins than you need and return any unopened back to the store - I've done this previously with B&Q and Wilkos without issue.
Or see if they do a 2.5 litre tin of the same
Lots of approximately & up to in the measurements here, seems like you're glossing over the exact size!

But it also depends on the colour of the paint, what colour you are covering and various other factors.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 22nd Sep
Bob2460122/09/2019 21:03

Sorry but I can't confirm that for you, however why not just purchase a …Sorry but I can't confirm that for you, however why not just purchase a few more tins than you need and return any unopened back to the store - I've done this previously with B&Q and Wilkos without issue.

This^ I've used Dulux during their promo one coat ones. Needed more paint and it needed two coats. In their case it's not exactly what it says on the tin.
You wont get anywhere near close to the stated square metres on the tin if you have a lot of cutting in to do and roll on a good coat, id get 12.5L if they sell 2.5s if not buy 15L and take 5 back if its unused
Mathematically it's 2 tins, but in reality I've painted an entire hallway (3 bed house) 2 coats with 1 5lt
The exact area is 60.1354 square metres so doubled up is 120.2708 square metres - as will be two coats.

Coverage of the paint is upto 17 square metres per litre - apologies, but this is what it states on the Dulux website.

Paint is Dulux Trade from their Decorators Centre so mixed to order so am assuming can't return the excess.
Basically, if you’re not a professional or a good DIYer then you’ll end up using more paint than the stated coverage as you’ll always think “that area” needs more paint. At least this is what happened with me
As someone above stated, buy the 15L and keep the rest as a spare for patch and dirt repair, especially if you got kids at a young age
HappyShopper22/09/2019 21:28

BTW, need an answer ASAP as the promo on the paint expires soon....

AKA: my maths homework is due in tomorrow morning.
Thanks all - got there in the end.

Bought extra - real worst case scenario is I will need another tin at the non promo price but not a biggie.
HappyShopper22/09/2019 21:58

Thanks all - got there in the end.Bought extra - real worst case scenario …Thanks all - got there in the end.Bought extra - real worst case scenario is I will need another tin at the non promo price but not a biggie.

How much was a 5 Litre tin with the code? We tested some Johnson trade (terrible) and Valspar (bit better than Dulux) and Dulux was the most expensive.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants