Groups

Urgent plumbing help (kitchen sink)

My kitchen sink is leaking.

It's just the seal above the u bend that has come loose but no amount of screwing it tighter will get it to 'cling' to the other pipe.

So, I clearly need a new one.

If I go to Plumbbase in town, what do I need to ask for? What's the part called?

Thanks.

Pic in post 1.

Are all kitchen sink pipes the same width?!

25 Comments

Original Poster

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r485/sicklysweetphotos/JHT/C197A88A-AFEF-4FEA-8067-B19C8830DF3D_zpsb9twyenc.jpg

Original Poster

To clarify, it's dripping from here.

And I can't screw it back on tightly. The U pipe is just sort of flopping down.

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r485/sicklysweetphotos/JHT/6F919BC7-0D14-4B0A-B3FC-9B2F6E147130_zps3gmbqdu0.jpg
    Edited by: "sicklysweet" 18th May

I'm no plumber and I have no idea if it will work but if you have plumbing tape you could try putting that on the thread and then screwing it up to see if that helps. my hubby usually uses it when things won't screw tightly. hope that helps

my advice is take the pipes with you as this may only need the rubber seal replacing, however all parts are really cheap to be fair, kind regards mark

pta tape I believe it is called (re adhkarzf

it looks like it needs to be pushed upwards and a little pta tape round the bit where it screws in too which is under £1

unscrew it first and push it up into the pipe then screw it up as the seal looks to far up, however im not a plumber so any one please correct me if i give wrong advice

123mark123

pta tape I believe it is called (re adhkarzf

​yes I think that's the name thanks (you could have called it anything I'd still agree X) )

I thought it was called ptfe tape. I could be wrong but that's what I've always called it

looks like u knocked it off as it doesn't look straight. could try loosening it reseat pipes together then tighten. failing that take seal with you to get a set of rubber seals for a "P Trap"

psychobitchfromhell

I thought it was called ptfe tape. I could be wrong but that's what I've … I thought it was called ptfe tape. I could be wrong but that's what I've always called it

://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

turns out you're correct. told you guys I'll agree with anyone oO
    Edited by: "adhkarzf" 18th May

yes you are correct, ptfe tape is right, but try unscrewing it first and push it on to the pipe then tighting it back up

PTFE tape (PlumbersTapeForEverything) propably wont work on that joint. Just put a tub underneath and unscrew the U bend at the bottom, only a bit of water will come out. Once out check the seals you should have a blue or white plastic washer and a black rubber seal on each joint.
    Edited by: "westy90" 18th May

Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Just got some biscuits in the oven so trying to do 10 things at once!

I've tried putting it back on higher up and tightening the....screwy bit, but it just goes round and round, it doesn't tighten.

Taking the joint to plumbbase is a plan, and I'll also take the info on this thread!

At least it's an easy-ish fix. It's not the end of the world and doesn't look like it requires me to call out a plumber.

Just a pain in the bum!

Guess that's a good excuse not to do the washing up!!

sicklysweet

Thanks everyone. Just got some biscuits in the oven so trying to do 10 … Thanks everyone. Just got some biscuits in the oven so trying to do 10 things at once!I've tried putting it back on higher up and tightening the....screwy bit, but it just goes round and round, it doesn't tighten. Taking the joint to plumbbase is a plan, and I'll also take the info on this thread!At least it's an easy-ish fix. It's not the end of the world and doesn't look like it requires me to call out a plumber. Just a pain in the bum!Guess that's a good excuse not to do the washing up!!

​If your taking your trap to plumbase make sure no one runs the sink while your out . Kitchen sink waste pipes are Inch and half in size (40mm)
    Edited by: "westy90" 18th May

you don't have much luck with plumbing do you sickly! I remember the washing machine and before that the wet carpet.

Have a go at what Westy90 said.

It looks like the joint is not "straight" and that is why it won't tighten - the rubber seal could be nipped and not even. Break the joint, move the rubber seal and make sure everything is clean with no "crud" on the seal or the fitting. Then have a go remaking the joint - fit it together and try to screw the fitting together evenly - not twisted as it looks in the picture.

There is only the rubber seal that can be wrong at the moment - there is not much else that could have gone wrong. Doubt you will need a new fitting.

When open it will look something very similar to this - it may or may not have the plastic washer, some makes don't.

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/compressionwaste/assembled-compression-unit.jpg

The parts called a trap.
    But you might want to replace the whole p trap . Costs about £7
    Edited by: "michaelgold" 19th May

michaelgold

Replace the whole p trap. Easy unscrew/screw on … Replace the whole p trap. Easy unscrew/screw on job.http://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-adjustable-inlet-tubular-p-trap-white-32mm/89677?kpid=KINASEKPID&cm_mmc=GoogleLocal-_-Datafeed-_-Heating%2520and%2520Plumbing&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%2520Listing%2520Ads-_-Sales%2520Tracking-_-sales%2520tracking%2520url&gclid=CJm4yNbK-tMCFQ06Gwodya0Ihw&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJL209bK-tMCFVQx0wodEVgEeQ

I think the suggested fitting has a different top connection. The suggested fitting is meant to screw direct onto the sink outlet, whereas a compression type connection is needed.

Original Poster

Holey moley you guys are good.

IT'S FIXED!!

The rubber seal had fallen in on itself

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r485/sicklysweetphotos/JHT/CBD0470A-1F30-4322-8061-08CD77E520AE_zpsl2dljpwe.jpg

So I've put it all back together with total success

http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums/r485/sicklysweetphotos/JHT/24E4A9E4-A16E-4DE2-818B-97586994F7D4_zpsikjmhy60.jpg

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE.

I really do appreciate your help a lot.

Original Poster

adhkarzf

you don't have much luck with plumbing do you sickly! I remember the … you don't have much luck with plumbing do you sickly! I remember the washing machine and before that the wet carpet.

Haha, no, not a lot of luck!

However a leaking sink is so much more preferable to veritable flood of water in the pipes under the concrete in the sitting room. Then when the plumber came, dug up the concrete and had water spurting up and over 1 metre accross the room.

Give me a simple problem like this and some instructions from awesome people on this thread, and I'll get my hands dirty getting it fixed.

Now I need to go to bed but I'm sat trying to solve a problem with a programme on a windows computer 'Error: overflow while accessing registry or .Cfg file'.

That may be tomorrow's plea for help, it's my dad's computer and he can't work - or access his work - without this programme (SAGE winforecast) so is literally up the creek without a paddle if it can't be fixed.

I will post photos of my cakes and biscuits into Misc as a thank you, that's all I can think of to say thanks X) I'm doing a cake for the village bake sale fundraiser, which has a water theme X)

Hi, with the sage winforecast program could you not restore the computer to an earlier date when the program was working correctly?

westy90

PTFE tape (PlumbersTapeForEverything) propably wont work on that joint. … PTFE tape (PlumbersTapeForEverything) propably wont work on that joint. Just put a tub underneath and unscrew the U bend at the bottom, only a bit of water will come out. Once out check the seals you should have a blue or white plastic washer and a black rubber seal on each joint.

Polytetraflouroethelene if I remember from my C&G

Banned

can i have a biscuit please?

Original Poster

iwashere2000

can i have a biscuit please?

I'll post photos tomorrow.

They're looking goooooooood.

Thanks everyone who helped with the leak. The good....no....the GREAT news....is that the leak has been tested all day with both cold and hot water, and a full sink worth of water and it's 100% holding.

I'm thrilled.

Thank you everyone.

You have saved me so much stress, time and expense.

Photos of the village charity bake sale will be posted tomorrow. Thats the only way I can think of saying thank you.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Remortgaging to pay off debt89
      2. Cheapest new phone line install existing customer56
      3. Decent hoover66
      4. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)46

See more discussions