*URGENT Recommendations please: Reliable plumber/Builder in Birmingham (and environs) for internal Leak behind shower wall*

Found 7th Dec 2017
If you have used or can vouch for a reliable plumber/builder in Birmingham or nearby please can you post their details.

We have a leak that a few plumbers have not been unable to trace, but we can see the water damage on the landing carpet and bathroom wall.

We have taken the bottom cover off the shower tray and can see water dripping from inside the wall beside the shower and need to get it fixed urgently as the flow of the drip is now more than it used to be.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Heard of this a couple of times where water was getting through grout, literally tiny holes, tiny bits of grout kissing. Maybe worth a check. Good luck.
Checkatrade.com if no-one can advise.
you need to work out if the water is dripping from a supply pipe to the shower or from leaks through the grout.

a tiled wall needs to have a coat of PVA before the tiles are put on as grout is not waterproof. i learnt this the hard way when water kept coming through when someone has a shower to downstairs but there was no leak to be seen any where!

is the dripping only when someone has had a shower or does it drip even when no one has had a shower? if the leak is from a supply pipe then the water drip will be constant but if only when someone has a shower then it will be water through the grouting.
INDUSTRYHATER6 h, 9 m ago

Heard of this a couple of times where water was getting through grout, …Heard of this a couple of times where water was getting through grout, literally tiny holes, tiny bits of grout kissing. Maybe worth a check. Good luck.

Thanks 2 of the plumbers that came round to look at it have re-grouted the whole shower.
davewave5 h, 22 m ago

The last two plumbers I had round were from Checkatrade.com needless to say the problem still persists.
davewave5 h, 23 m ago

Thanks anyway
bepurple5 h, 47 m ago

The last two plumbers I had round were from Checkatrade.com needless to …The last two plumbers I had round were from Checkatrade.com needless to say the problem still persists.

Not being funny but what did two plumbers do that you don't expect a third to do - was the option of removing tiles to find the root cause discussed?
mutley111 h, 58 m ago

you need to work out if the water is dripping from a supply pipe to the …you need to work out if the water is dripping from a supply pipe to the shower or from leaks through the grout.a tiled wall needs to have a coat of PVA before the tiles are put on as grout is not waterproof. i learnt this the hard way when water kept coming through when someone has a shower to downstairs but there was no leak to be seen any where!is the dripping only when someone has had a shower or does it drip even when no one has had a shower? if the leak is from a supply pipe then the water drip will be constant but if only when someone has a shower then it will be water through the grouting.

Most grout is waterproof
davewave50 m ago

Not being funny but what did two plumbers do that you don't expect a third …Not being funny but what did two plumbers do that you don't expect a third to do - was the option of removing tiles to find the root cause discussed?

Maybe the third should do his job properly because clearly the first two didn't.
mutley113 h, 2 m ago

you need to work out if the water is dripping from a supply pipe to the …you need to work out if the water is dripping from a supply pipe to the shower or from leaks through the grout.a tiled wall needs to have a coat of PVA before the tiles are put on as grout is not waterproof. i learnt this the hard way when water kept coming through when someone has a shower to downstairs but there was no leak to be seen any where!is the dripping only when someone has had a shower or does it drip even when no one has had a shower? if the leak is from a supply pipe then the water drip will be constant but if only when someone has a shower then it will be water through the grouting.

PVA is itself not waterproof - "Limitations: *This product is only waterproof when mixed with cement."

PVA only aids adhesion of waterproofing components until dry.

If the grouting is in good condition and intact it should be waterproof.

OP - what type of shower do you have? If the mixer unit is concealed then a leak from the cartridge can result in a leak like you describe - had this before from an Aqualisa mixer shower.
tiled walls in showers are not water proof! i know this for a fact as water came through the grouting in the bathroom walls in a house that I own even though the grout looks to be in good condition. see article below.

reedharris.co.uk/col…lls
mutley11 h, 3 m ago

tiled walls in showers are not water proof! i know this for a fact as …tiled walls in showers are not water proof! i know this for a fact as water came through the grouting in the bathroom walls in a house that I own even though the grout looks to be in good condition. see article below.https://www.reedharris.co.uk/collections/fitting-guides/waterproofing-shower-walls

LOL - it obviuosly depends if you use waterproof grout or not
Edited by: "chocci" 8th Dec 2017
I had issues with the ensuite and failed grouting, adhesive, silicon sealant and a damaged shower trap and a missing o ring. Place smelt like stale urine due to black mould. Had to strip the trap and repair it and put the o ring back in. I pulled off about 20 tiles and repaired the wall before putting the tiles back on and regrouting. Put the shower unit back together and sealed it. Works fine now but took a couple of weeks due to the lazy couple that couldn't be bothered to do basic diy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants