Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

URGENT: to all Virgin Media customers who suspended sports for 3 months

Posted 12th Jul
I manage the Virgin Media account for senior family members as I wanted to ensure they were not being mugged off by their TV supplier.

Yesterday I viewed their bill and it was £15.88 higher than it should have been so the new amount went up to £79 a month instead of £63.12. The reason was because I took up on the option to suspend Sky Sports for 3 months whilst no sporting events were happening, I was informed their system has not taken into account the previous agreed promotion that was valid until March 2021.

To all Virgin Media Sky Sports customers - please look at your bill for the coming month to ensure you are being charged correctly, if I didn't spot this Virgin Media would have charged my family an extra £127.04 for the rest of their contract for no good reason.

To clarify if you suspended Sports it would NOT have affected your previous promotions. I hope this is a helpful heads up for some people.

Any questions please ask.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
akchpmn12/07/2020 11:08

Ok, if you say so... lol

swear some people posting here must either work for or have shares in said companies, sky and virgin i am also involved in managing my parents and my own contracts and they are AWFUL for honouring anything. keep an eye on it yes, but having a go for giving people a heads up? sod off. thanks op.
I used to deal with Virgin Media a lot when my mental health patients took out contracts - they are a really dodgy company, they will try and utilise any loophole or tactic to get an extra penny out of you.
Oh calm down. If you found this next month, they make adjustments to the payments. Stop making out like they’re a scamming company. It was suspended for 3 months, then it would automatically resume as planned.
Zero.Chill12/07/2020 11:07

Oh calm down. If you found this next month, they make adjustments to the …Oh calm down. If you found this next month, they make adjustments to the payments. Stop making out like they’re a scamming company. It was suspended for 3 months, then it would automatically resume as planned.

Some people may not have noticed at all wether it be in 3 months, 7 months or 6 years so it is useful for people to ensure they check the bills - also you don't appear to have taken into account that whilst sport has resumed and therefore is being charged on the account the OP mentions, they refer to the discounted package not being taken in to effect therefore they are paying for sports without the discount agreed at the start of the contract
Edited by: "jsac" 12th Jul
22 Comments
Oh calm down. If you found this next month, they make adjustments to the payments. Stop making out like they’re a scamming company. It was suspended for 3 months, then it would automatically resume as planned.

Oh calm down. If you found this next month, they make adjustments to the …Oh calm down. If you found this next month, they make adjustments to the payments. Stop making out like they’re a scamming company. It was suspended for 3 months, then it would automatically resume as planned.

Ok, if you say so... lol

Some people may not have noticed at all wether it be in 3 months, 7 months or 6 years so it is useful for people to ensure they check the bills - also you don't appear to have taken into account that whilst sport has resumed and therefore is being charged on the account the OP mentions, they refer to the discounted package not being taken in to effect therefore they are paying for sports without the discount agreed at the start of the contract
Edited by: "jsac" 12th Jul
No problems with my bill here, back to the normal amount it should be after they've started charging for sports again.
virgin play utterly horrible games with promotions. last year, got the cold-call saying i was a valuable customer and offering sports+movies+free SIM all for free. (unlimited data on a SIM - yes!). so i accepted. when the year ended, they wanted to charge full whack on all these items. told them where to go. (I never wanted sports, and never watch the movies). eventually got it all back down to a reasonable amount, and then got called again...."as a valued customer, we want to give you sports+movies". told them to take a hike.

everything they charge for is overpriced. the service is reliable and good, but this to and fro on bills - huge swings of 50%, unless you are on the ball.

when they offer you something for free, they are hoping you wont notice the price hike.

of course, virgin are such a good provider, that after 10y, you ___still____ can not downgrade your package online. oh no.

i know every other provider is the same or worse.
Op is saying that a seperate discount (not the sports one) was removed after the sports discount was added, if I'm reading it right?

Looks fine on my account anyway.
athunder12/07/2020 12:30

Op is saying that a seperate discount (not the sports one) was removed …Op is saying that a seperate discount (not the sports one) was removed after the sports discount was added, if I'm reading it right?Looks fine on my account anyway.

I was told by Virgin that when the 3 months free sports ended the previous sky sports promotion ended with it instead of being reinstated.

The representative was telling me at the beginning of the conversation that because we accepted the 3 months free the previous, original offer was ended too - which was false information as this was double checked prior to suspending sports.

That is what prompted me to post this as based on his words it sounded like a lot of other sky sports subscribers via Virgin would have been affected - evidently, so far that is not the case but my family benefitted from their mistake as they also received a generous gesture of goodwill credit once it was all rectified.
Edited by: "akchpmn" 12th Jul
Thank you for posting this. I Was affected. We were paying £102.50 for full house package with sports & 200mb I rang to get the sports taken off whilst they werent showing matches, we were paying £61.50, I checked my account after reading your post and our next bill due was £121 😳
I have managed to secure the exact same package for £86 for the next 18 months and the £121 bill has been reduced to £96 so I'm happy with that.
Thanx again
Edited by: "nightshadeUK" 12th Jul
nightshadeUK12/07/2020 13:25

Thank you for posting this. I Was affected. We were paying £108 for full …Thank you for posting this. I Was affected. We were paying £108 for full house package with sports & 200mb I rang to get the sports taken off whilst they werent showing matches, we were paying £61, I checked my account after reading your post and our next bill due was £121 😳 I have managed to secure the exact same package for £86 for the next 18 months and the £121 bill has been reduced to £96 so I'm happy with that. Thanx again

So you were paying £61, it's gone up to £86pm (41% increase - which is insane), and you're happy about that?
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 12th Jul
dcx_badass12/07/2020 13:46

So you were paying £61, it's gone up to £86pm (41% increase - which is i …So you were paying £61, it's gone up to £86pm (41% increase - which is insane), and you're happy about that?

We were paying 102.50 on a reduced contract. . Because of covid we didnt have to pay sky sports so it dropped to £61.50 but has now gone back up and our new bill was going to be £121

41367293-SLqiV.jpg41367293-76XWT.jpg
Edited by: "nightshadeUK" 12th Jul
jsac12/07/2020 11:18

Some people may not have noticed at all wether it be in 3 months, 7 months …Some people may not have noticed at all wether it be in 3 months, 7 months or 6 years so it is useful for people to ensure they check the bills - also you don't appear to have taken into account that whilst sport has resumed and therefore is being charged on the account the OP mentions, they refer to the discounted package not being taken in to effect therefore they are paying for sports without the discount agreed at the start of the contract

Like I said, they make adjustments. 7 months or 6 years? A slight exaggeration there, since everybody is normally looking to renew every year. If you can afford to ignore your bills for 6 months, then it means you can afford it & you’re better off. I’m well aware they send an email bill out, every month so if you don’t see that, then it’s your own doing. People need to stop blaming companies & take responsibility.
Edited by: "Zero.Chill" 12th Jul
I used to deal with Virgin Media a lot when my mental health patients took out contracts - they are a really dodgy company, they will try and utilise any loophole or tactic to get an extra penny out of you.
It’s good to get a heads up, lots of people don’t check bills or accounts...

but if people don’t check it’s on them..

thanks op..
akchpmn12/07/2020 11:08

Ok, if you say so... lol

swear some people posting here must either work for or have shares in said companies, sky and virgin i am also involved in managing my parents and my own contracts and they are AWFUL for honouring anything. keep an eye on it yes, but having a go for giving people a heads up? sod off. thanks op.
cache12/07/2020 17:47

swear some people posting here must either work for or have shares in said …swear some people posting here must either work for or have shares in said companies, sky and virgin i am also involved in managing my parents and my own contracts and they are AWFUL for honouring anything. keep an eye on it yes, but having a go for giving people a heads up? sod off. thanks op.

Yeah used to bother me but HDUK isn’t what it used to be and seems to keep going south. I’ve helped one person and that’s great, if it assists others that’s even better!

Claims these companies will see their mistake and correct without you prompting are hilarious to me - we are just a number to these big companies, nothing else.
akchpmn12/07/2020 18:19

Yeah used to bother me but HDUK isn’t what it used to be and seems to keep …Yeah used to bother me but HDUK isn’t what it used to be and seems to keep going south. I’ve helped one person and that’s great, if it assists others that’s even better! Claims these companies will see their mistake and correct without you prompting are hilarious to me - we are just a number to these big companies, nothing else.

agree on both counts, so many posts ive made over the last 10 years auto popped up, now all 'moderated' and i get a PM and then randomly some pepper expert has the 1000+ degrees thread haha, absolute dog.

equally, like these big companies care? their employees are all on a minimal wage doing what they can with the deals they are given, but its not regulated, so theyre never gonna give you anything, and you have to fight for even to honour deals given to you over the phone, which they just deny anyway.

2020, welcome all.
akchpmn12/07/2020 18:19

Yeah used to bother me but HDUK isn’t what it used to be and seems to keep …Yeah used to bother me but HDUK isn’t what it used to be and seems to keep going south. I’ve helped one person and that’s great, if it assists others that’s even better! Claims these companies will see their mistake and correct without you prompting are hilarious to me - we are just a number to these big companies, nothing else.

Thanks for the information you've shared here. We have a massive community so it is inevitable some might be a bit negative towards something but if you see that happens let us know and we'll be happy to take a look.

I agree with you on your second point. You need to be keeping an eye on your account as they often change what was agreed.

When we re-contracted in January it was agreed on the telephone that we would sign up for another 12 months and keep the same services and the same cost all year. Turned out in May that they simply gave us 5 months discount on Sky Sports and it then was due to increase by a crazy amount.
cache12/07/2020 18:21

agree on both counts, so many posts ive made over the last 10 years auto …agree on both counts, so many posts ive made over the last 10 years auto popped up, now all 'moderated' and i get a PM and then randomly some pepper expert has the 1000+ degrees thread haha, absolute dog.equally, like these big companies care? their employees are all on a minimal wage doing what they can with the deals they are given, but its not regulated, so theyre never gonna give you anything, and you have to fight for even to honour deals given to you over the phone, which they just deny anyway.2020, welcome all.

I've had a look and your comments are not moderated. If they do drop it in it might because the thread is being reviewed or you're using a blacklisted word or phrase but there are definitely no restrictions placed on your account.
Sky have done the same 2 us we cancelled sports was getting everything for £58 a month our bill went up2 £79 and from next month it’s £86 they tried saying we signed up2 a new deal in November ( which we hadn’t ) and the deal had ran out! They offered us it at £69 a month I told em to stuff it!!
yorks7512/07/2020 19:40

Sky have done the same 2 us we cancelled sports was getting everything for …Sky have done the same 2 us we cancelled sports was getting everything for £58 a month our bill went up2 £79 and from next month it’s £86 they tried saying we signed up2 a new deal in November ( which we hadn’t ) and the deal had ran out! They offered us it at £69 a month I told em to stuff it!!

Very similar experience today with Sky. Took a good deal at Christmas for 18 months but after the Sports resumed last month all of my discounts 'fell' off my account and the bill nigh on doubled. Took an hour on the phone today to sort it out.
Jason12/07/2020 18:45

I've had a look and your comments are not moderated. If they do drop it in …I've had a look and your comments are not moderated. If they do drop it in it might because the thread is being reviewed or you're using a blacklisted word or phrase but there are definitely no restrictions placed on your account.

thanks for looking dude, but i meant my threads, my originally posted threads. they are being taken down nowadays because rules have changed. previously someone could stick a placeholder in saying 'ubisoft forward coming july 12th - watchdogs 2 will be FREE' and this would be auto-posted. now apparently you can only do it 'when its confirmed by a mod' - so then a mod posts up the exact same thing with a random screenshot off twitter or whatever and claims it as their own.

i didn't do this for ubi, but i did do it for one of the epic games free games t hat hit big degrees, and i think for someone of over 10 years in the site was kinda poop tbh, almost whats the point in posting a deal in preparation for something everyone know is coming, to take it down from a normal member so a mod can post it up?
nobbyogden12/07/2020 19:50

Very similar experience today with Sky. Took a good deal at Christmas for …Very similar experience today with Sky. Took a good deal at Christmas for 18 months but after the Sports resumed last month all of my discounts 'fell' off my account and the bill nigh on doubled. Took an hour on the phone today to sort it out.

Rang again today now there wanting £75 a month haha nah don’t think so!! What is it with these companies just being able to do what they want
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants