Groups
    EXPIRED

Urgently need a mains USB plug that provides 2000mA output

Dealextreme messed up & sent me the USA plug not the UK one! Don't think the replacement will arrive in time for my holiday so I need to find one from either a retail store or UK website that has immediate dispatch.

This is the one I ordered for reference dealextreme.com/det…802

I can find loads that are 500mA output anyone know where I can get a 2000mA output one fast?

13 Comments

Not many of them about, are u sure the appliance needs that much current?, best bet i would think would be your local maplins

Original Poster

I need to charge a PSP, the original cable states 2000mA output.

If I can't find one will a lower output charge it but just take longer?

Can you explain how you intend to use the charger to charge your PSP?

It may help us to help you further.

Original Poster

I bought a USB charger/data cable for the PSP dealextreme.com/det…693

I already have a USB mains plug but that only provides 500mA output so that's why I bought the other one that provides 2000mA output

The PSP data cable will also charge my digital camera that needs 1500mA output according to it's original cable so I was planning on using it to charge that as well.

The 500Ma one will work, but it will take an age to charge.

Your best bet is to try Maplin and see if they have one that is better suited.

Original Poster

Re charging with the 500mA I'm assuming the following

Timings not exact but if for example a PSP took 1 hour to fully charge, then with the 500mA would it take 4 times longer ie 4 hours?

lyzzys321;2026944

Re charging with the 500mA I'm assuming the followingTimings not exact … Re charging with the 500mA I'm assuming the followingTimings not exact but if for example a PSP took 1 hour to fully charge, then with the 500mA would it take 4 times longer ie 4 hours?

It's been a long time since I was at college, so I will wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

You could always try using a mains adapter until the replacement arrives.

Original Poster

doublecuffs;2027712

You could always try using a mains adapter until the replacement arrives.

I am using it at home but I don't want to take the bulky thing on holiday ;-) that's why I need one asap, had dealextreme not messed up I wouldn't have a problem

I need to charge a PSP, the original cable states 2000mA output.If I … I need to charge a PSP, the original cable states 2000mA output.If I can't find one will a lower output charge it but just take longer?

I wouldn't risk that. It is the appliance that draws power rather than the adapter 'feeding' power. So If the appliance is drawing say 1500mA through an adapter rated to only 500mA it will get very hot and fail.

Original Poster

ben_edwards2612;2027825

I wouldn't risk that. It is the appliance that draws power rather than … I wouldn't risk that. It is the appliance that draws power rather than the adapter 'feeding' power. So If the appliance is drawing say 1500mA through an adapter rated to only 500mA it will get very hot and fail.

Thanks for that info, looks like I really need to find one that provides 2000mA then

Can anyone help me out otherwise the original bulky charger will have to travel & I really don't want to take that!!

Original Poster

I've done a bit more searching on this & I'm finding conflicting information regarding charging.

Some say it's ok to charge a device with 500mA where the original charger provides 2000mA, it will just take longer to fully charge the device. As long as the Voltage is the same there won't be a problem.

Others say not to do it.

Can anyone help me out with further information?

lyzzys321;2028603

I've done a bit more searching on this & I'm finding conflicting … I've done a bit more searching on this & I'm finding conflicting information regarding charging.Some say it's ok to charge a device with 500mA where the original charger provides 2000mA, it will just take longer to fully charge the device. As long as the Voltage is the same there won't be a problem.Others say not to do it.Can anyone help me out with further information?

i really wouldn't bother with a 500ma but u did say u had a 1500ma that would do in an emergency with very little chance of any damage to charger
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927366
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2243
      3. Spotify Family Premium share718
      4. What would be HELL to you?2635

See more discussions