Groups

Urine smell on mattress

Hi,
    My daughter has piddled on my mattress. I have scrubbed the area with washing up liquid. I then rubbed soap powder into the area and rinsed but could still smell urine. Last resort has been to sprinkle bicarbonate of soda over the area which I have left to absorb the moisture. I have just removed the bicarb and the smell of urine is still there.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get rid of the smell.

52 Comments

pet odour remover will sort it

Vinegar ? Gets rid of most smells. I would try it then let it air dry

I've heard zoflora is good

Febreze, maybe?

Think you supposed to mix bicarbonate with peroxide the rub it in .. Let it dry the Hoover off

Get a new mattress?

bleach
    zaflora

Original Poster

I think I may have done everything the wrong way round and to top it off I now have blue dots on the mattress from the blue bits in the washing powder. I've just had another sniff and it's an awful chemical/Urine smell on my side too.

Original Poster

I think I may have done everything the wrong way round and to top it off I now have blue dots on the mattress from the blue bits in the washing powder. I've just had another sniff and it's an awful chemical/Urine smell on my side too.

Original Poster

tempt

Get a new mattress?

​We only bought this mattress 11 month ago.

Original Poster

tempt

Get a new mattress?

​We only bought the mattress 11 month ago.

Original Poster

srp111

pet odour remover will sort it

Just read some reviews on this stuff and might have to visit pets at home tomorrow.​

Put the entire mattress in a bag of rice. Will sort it right out.

antibacterial spray

Original Poster

Would it be neat white vinegar

Original Poster

itsdavidjones1984

Put the entire mattress in a bag of rice. Will sort it right out.

​Could I just cover the bed in rice

Mix hydrogen peroxide with bicarbonate and rub it in leave it for a while then vacuum it off

I usually find hot soapy water and a generous spritz of febreeze works, mind you that was on a cheap mattress where it soaked right through the springs to the Base. only had one incident on new one.

interesting post... try looking here....

yellowblissroad.com/cle…ss/ seems to be using everyday things to clean the mattress - not just mask the smell. I seem to remember something about fizzy bottled soda water, the bubbles helping to agitate the urine free from the fabric , but I may be dis-remembering.

Baking soda!!!! It absorbs smells! Tonnes of people use it in there fridge it really works, sprinkle it all over as much as u can and it should absorb the smell. Leave it on half a day then Hoover it. Do it a few times. Fingers crossed for you :-).
    Also sounds weird but cat litter! I heard that can absorb smells well

Original Poster

mrty

interesting post... try looking … interesting post... try looking here....http://www.yellowblissroad.com/clean-odors-stains-mattress/ seems to be using everyday things to clean the mattress - not just mask the smell. I seem to remember something about fizzy bottled soda water, the bubbles helping to agitate the urine free from the fabric , but I may be dis-remembering.

​Thank you.
    I am going to try this method first rather than using any more chemicals.

tempt

Get a new mattress?

You've never had kids obviously

What sort of mattress is it? A standard type or something like a Tempur? Calling the manufacturer for advice tomorrow may be an option?

Note it may take a good few days for any treatment to work and the mattress to dry out.

One of our ex cats keep peeing on one of our chairs. The pet anti urine smell spray worked a treat. We treated it and left it dry out for a week. The cat has passed away but the chair is going going stong.

Fill an old ice cream tub (or something similar) with white vinegar and leave on or near as possible to the mattress for 24 hrs, it will absorb most of the smell.
    You can also sprinkle bicarbonate of soda on the mattress as well, if you use a combination of the two I'm sure it'll work, it's what a mate of mine does on car interiors to get rid of smells.
    p.s. you need the biggest surface area of vinegar you can get so maybe a shallow baking tray maybe better.

Original Poster

dothedealnow

What sort of mattress is it? A standard type or something like a Tempur? … What sort of mattress is it? A standard type or something like a Tempur? Calling the manufacturer for advice tomorrow may be an option?Note it may take a good few days for any treatment to work and the mattress to dry out.One of our ex cats keep peeing on one of our chairs. The pet anti urine smell spray worked a treat. We treated it and left it dry out for a week. The cat has passed away but the chair is going going stong.

It is a tempur mattress. We put it up against the radiator to dry out and the smell upon entering the bedroom is vile. I think I've done more harm by using wasjubg up liquid and washing powder.
    Yes might be a good idea to ring the manufacturer tomorrow.

nickster76

It is a tempur mattress. We put it up against the radiator to dry out and … It is a tempur mattress. We put it up against the radiator to dry out and the smell upon entering the bedroom is vile. I think I've done more harm by using wasjubg up liquid and washing powder. Yes might be a good idea to ring the manufacturer tomorrow.

​OK. You need to stop putting anything on it now. There is a section of the Tempur website regarding spills.

Here is another option.

boothsfurnitureltd.co.uk/blo…ss/

oh and the mattresses react badly to heat, so take it away from any heat source.

I think theres something called urine destroyer you can get from pet shops i think thats supposed to be good .

Blowtorch. Why does you daughters wee smell so bad?

Original Poster

craigstephens

Blowtorch. Why does you daughters wee smell so bad?

​The urine smell wasn't that bad until I put washing liquid then washing powder on the area.

nickster76

​The urine smell wasn't that bad until I put washing liquid then washing p … ​The urine smell wasn't that bad until I put washing liquid then washing powder on the area.

​Unfortunately you may have killed it. The mattress.

I would stop what you are doing and get hold of the retailer and/or manufacturer tomorrow.

Here is a tempur US link giving advice but call retailer in first instance.

At I suspect over £1300+ ? for a double Tempur mattress, you may need to claim on insurance

Ask Donald Trump (_;)

Final solution if the retailer or manufacturer is no use and you don't want to claim. Look at the memory foam section.

mybedframes.co.uk/blo…ide

Keep the heat low.

Note its a combination of some of the other posters excellent advice already given above.

Good luck.

Needs to dry out,white wine is good for covering other odours and stains especially red wine and blood. And it always pays to gave a matress protector.

Urea in urine breaks down to ammonia, which is what you can smell. The smell will go on it's own eventually. Something like febreze will mask it in the meantime.

Original Poster

Thanks for all of the advice.

it must have been a good night out for your daughter ha ha

Original Poster

Original Poster

stefromuk

it must have been a good night out for your daughter ha ha

​A toddler on a night out?!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions