Found 11th Jul 2007
About to go on holiday to new york. Does anyone have any expierence of this airline called US Airways? are they good? comfortable? etc.

I will be spending 3 days in new york so obviously not much time to explore everything so what can you recommend that I MUST go to.

thanks for any help!

1. Misc
  2. New York
14 Comments

I went to the statue of Liberty, was nice to see it in person, and I was surprised at how small it is. But it can take a while to get there with queuing for ferries etc.

Empire State Building wasn't my thing as I'm scared of heights. Though the elevator was really fun

Other things I enjoyed were the Guggenheim and MoMA (Museum of Modern Art).

If you're a big shopper you can't go wrong with 5th Avenue. Though I found some great shops in other places, Lower East Side had a few great shops and a nice market.

Central Park for a place to sit down and relax.

Catch a musical on Broadway.

Time Square is pretty cool to see, especially when it's lit up at night.

I think I've listed quite a lot, but it really depends what you like. If you're a sports fan you might consider trying to get tickets to a baseball game or something.

I was thinking about going to New york just for like 3 days. Flights and hotels are pricey.

we flew us airways via washington to florida last year
wasnt too impressed with the service
i think american airlines dont have the reputation for good comfortable flights, service and entertainment
the entertainment was pretty lousy

I flew with US Airways around 7 years ago, I found them to be no different to most other airlines. Of course a lot has changed since then. I remember they allowed me a little extra luggage on the way home with no extra charge.

I've been to new york a few times since the security went mad and was even asked to remove my shoes and my belt to go up the empire state building. (like I'm going to do some harm with my belt once I'm up there)

I don't mind the extra security, I used to work in the police so I understand it. It's just the people they employ, they have no manners and they don't appear to have much sense. They've given extraordinary powers to people not trained or capable of dealing with it. Then again have you tried making a transfer at Heathrow on your way home? The guys that run that security make idiots look like geniuses.

Immigration on the way into the US is a laugh too.

I recently had the opportunity of spending 4 days in New York for free, I was working in Brazil and the direct flight was really expensive, a flight via New York with 2 days stop over was a few hundred pounds cheaper and I was almost on the verge of booking that. Then I remembered the airport experiences I have had at JFK and suddenly the direct but more expensive flight seemed a lot more appealing.

Enjoy the place though, it fantastic. Make sure you have a pizza and a beer on the ground floor of the empire state building, it's the cheapest place in town but lovely pizza. If you want a really cheap but reliable and clean transfer then try these people I use them all of the time.

nyairportservice.com/abo…tml

Original Poster

Thanks guys!!

I wil make a note of the places you have suggested! I will be going into LaGuardia airport. IS it better to use the bus or just get a taxi? How much does a taxi cost roughly from the airport to midtown manhattan?

Am quite worried about the security checks, is it just a passport i need? I dont need to get visas or anything do i for getting into the US?

Am really looking forward to this trip!

Toybhoy

Thanks guys!! I wil make a note of the places you have suggested! I … Thanks guys!! I wil make a note of the places you have suggested! I will be going into LaGuardia airport. IS it better to use the bus or just get a taxi? How much does a taxi cost roughly from the airport to midtown manhattan?Am quite worried about the security checks, is it just a passport i need? I dont need to get visas or anything do i?Thanks

You will get a visa waver form to fill in on the plane, have your passport number and issue/expiry date handy along with the address you are staying. Visa Waver info ]HERE

Use the airport transfer as a taxi can be expensive.

If you choose to go with US Airways ([url]www.americanairlines.co.uk[/url] also has some good prices with the promotional code dirtyd OR through the mastercard 50% off offer) then go to [url]www.usairways.com[/url] and book direct (also, add the promotional code RR312CH to get a few more quid off each way)...I'm looking at flying to upstate NY in November and it works out £30 than lastminute, opodo etc....(the quotes for individual flights are in $$, but you get ££ at the very end of the quote process)

freeDUMB

I went to the statue of Liberty, was nice to see it in person, and I was … I went to the statue of Liberty, was nice to see it in person, and I was surprised at how small it is. But it can take a while to get there with queuing for ferries etc.Empire State Building wasn't my thing as I'm scared of heights. Though the elevator was really fun Other things I enjoyed were the Guggenheim and MoMA (Museum of Modern Art). If you're a big shopper you can't go wrong with 5th Avenue. Though I found some great shops in other places, Lower East Side had a few great shops and a nice market.Central Park for a place to sit down and relax.Catch a musical on Broadway.Time Square is pretty cool to see, especially when it's lit up at night.I think I've listed quite a lot, but it really depends what you like. If you're a sports fan you might consider trying to get tickets to a baseball game or something.

You can't go to the statue of liberty anymore since 9/11.

Admin

t0mm

You can't go to the statue of liberty anymore since 9/11.

Thought they reopened that tour a few years back? Could be wrong though :?

Edit- Think I was right, although it was closed after 9/11, it reopened August 2004-
Book the tour ]here

My bad, your correct, however i dont think your allowed inside the statue anymore[ to the cafe in the head]

When I went in April I flew with American Airlines so coan't comment on US Airways but as for stuff to do....

Top Of The Rock at the Rockefeller centre is a lot better than the Empire state. More customer friendly, less queues and better views - including one of the Empire State Building itself.

Definitely go to the Statue Of Liberty, just took the Staten Island Ferry myself but you can take a boat direct to Liberty island.

Central Park will be lovely about this time, loads of people performing displays etc.

If you do go to Empire State make sure you do the New York Skyride, you can by a combination ticket. It's like a virtual helicopter tour of New York which is a LOT of fun!!!

Grand Central Terminal is amazing to look out, also a subway stop which is convenient.

Also great to walk along Brooklyn Bridge at sunset.

Enjoy your trip......

PS at [url]www.tripadvisor.com[/url] there is a forum where you can ask a questions and get answered by a New Yorker. Link is tripadvisor.com/Sho…tml

Original Poster

Thanks for everyones advice btw

I'm off to New York tomorrow then a tour round the states. Will be back in a few weeks! :-D

Admin

Have a fantastic time

Not jealous.

Much.... :giggle:

Original Poster

juliet_bravo

Have a fantastic time :)Not jealous.Much.... :giggle:

Cheers JB!!

Obviously am gonna be missing a few deals but overall am sure it'll be worth it :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Hi any flying experience for kids under 4?24
    2. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…710
    3. Foo fighters pre sale code89
    4. Anyone got an Infrared bathroom heater?22

See more discussions