Groups

USA Dollar , best time to buy?

Im going to Usa soon , just wondering when would be the best time to buy USA dollars ,as it seems the exchange rate is quite poor at the moment , if i recall i remember at one point it was £1 -$2 now its something like £1-$1.50

Will it get any better , or will it get even worse?

Also where is the best place to exchange i normally just go to travel agents in town.

Ive spent so much on this Holiday that i need to now spend wise , i want to go mad on shopping in the USA , but cant if its going to go even weaker

15 Comments

I find Travelex the best place for exchange rates, however a Nationwide Flexaccount is really good as you don't need to carry cash & they do not charge for using your card abroad. They give you the exchange rate as it is on the day of the transaction so you just have to take your chances on that front.
    Good luck & enjoy your holiday:)

Original Poster

Calred2;3286995

I find Travelex the best place for exchange rates, however a Nationwide … I find Travelex the best place for exchange rates, however a Nationwide Flexaccount is really good as you don't need to carry cash & they do not charge for using your card abroad. They give you the exchange rate as it is on the day of the transaction so you just have to take your chances on that front.Good luck & enjoy your holiday:)

Thanks for the advice , the nationwide Flexaccount sounds good , think ill have a look at that one :thumbsup: dont like the idea of keeping cash on my either as im terrible for losing things

Edit also just checked the Travelex and they do a Travel currency card , any good?

If I were you I'd probably but now. If anything the rate will go down more in the next few weeks -some say below $1.50.

A-n-d-y;3287195

Thanks for the advice , the nationwide Flexaccount sounds good , think … Thanks for the advice , the nationwide Flexaccount sounds good , think ill have a look at that one :thumbsup: dont like the idea of keeping cash on my either as im terrible for losing things

Yep, and apply for their credit card while you are at it. Same deal on purchases abroad. I always take both when I'm travelling. Damn good deal and most competitive rates among the cards - I did an experiment in Marrakech and used different cards for the same purchase (souvenirs) just to confirm to myself that they were indeed the best deal (yes, I'm sad). :thumbsup:

Original Poster

mfc1986;3287234

If I were you I'd probably but now. If anything the rate will go down … If I were you I'd probably but now. If anything the rate will go down more in the next few weeks -some say below $1.50.

Yup i am kicking myself i didnt buy it a few months back ,when it wasnt as bad , ah well ......I was hoping it would get a bit better beforei go ,but if it does go below $1.50 will be be pssed lol

Banned

Definately buy now.

If you are near me, I can cut you a good deal on US$1500 which Ive had sitting in my safe (along with various other valuables) that's collecting dust.

How does 3c above the best deal you can find sound?

Up to you. Its not doing any harm - and clearly going to be worth more in the coming weeks and months. Always like to help another member (trolls aside!)

The pound 's strength against the dollar is at a six year low, you got a spare delorean capable of doing 88 mph?

robtallica;3287618

The pound 's strength against the dollar is at a six year low, you got a … The pound 's strength against the dollar is at a six year low, you got a spare delorean capable of doing 88 mph?

Just use Levis method

answer to OP - about 2 months ago

amansk;3296814

answer to OP - about 2 months ago

Yes, unfortunately!!

This reminds me, I have $2500 sitting in my US bank account (earning zero interest whatsoever) and about $1000 in cash / traveller's cheques in my US wallet. Suppose now would be a good time to change it back to £££

Oh and in answer to your question, the exchange rate will only get worse but it can't keep falling forever.

flyingflea;3297120

This reminds me, I have $2500 sitting in my US bank account (earning zero … This reminds me, I have $2500 sitting in my US bank account (earning zero interest whatsoever) and about $1000 in cash / traveller's cheques in my US wallet. Suppose now would be a good time to change it back to £££Oh and in answer to your question, the exchange rate will only get worse but it can't keep falling forever.

I'll take it off your hands.;-)

Nobody knows what will happen to the value of any currency from one day to the next, if we did, we would all be very rich.;-)

When i went America earlier in the year the shops were offering about $1.75-$1.80 to the £. I followed the advice of many on here and MSE and took the Nationwide flexaccount, it was very easy and in the end the best rate i got was $1.99 to a £
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4682208
      2. What is there free to do in your town?2545
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27121
      4. Sky Fibre Max44

See more discussions