Posted 25th Nov 2022 (Posted 13 h, 11 m ago)
I bought a 25W Samsung plug + usb c cable. This cable, when used with a 65W plug, can somehow charge my laptop. And separately I bought a 100W Baseus usb c cable which charges my laptop at same speed. So does the "100W" cable advertisement mean anything? Or are they all able to carry the same power?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

3 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Yeah it's what the cable is saying it can safely carry up to, you wouldn't want to put 100W of power over a cable that can only carry 5V/3A for risk of melting and potential fire, with Power Delivery I think there is smarts in the chargers and cable to prevent a charger putting out more power than the cable can take however this relies on using reliable cables/chargers and I would always manually make sure I'm not trying to charge a high power device with a lower Watt cable

Most outputs on the chargers will be a maximum of 3A and only the voltage changes to get the higher W output, this makes it safer for all cables, the Baseus 100W cable can carry up to 20V at 5A for compatible chargers and devices (edited)
  2. Avatar
    100w and above cables have an e-marker chip to announce they can handle the current. The laptop will just charge at up to 65w. If you connect it to a 100w charger (and the laptop can charge at 100w), you'd only get 65w from it so it would charge a bit slower.
  3. Avatar
    IIRC the USB-C spec says all cables should be built to carry 3A. That translates to 60W if connecting a device and power supply that both support USB-PD's 20V mode.

It also optionally allows a cable to be built to carry 5A, although that cable has to be equipped with a chip to tell the devices either end that it's capable of this. If that marker isn't present then the devices will only transfer a maximum of 3A.
Top Merchants