USB-C Mobile Charging

Found 5th Jul
Hi, I have just ordered a new Nokia 6.1 and found that it's USB-C.

This means I can't use any of my chargers around the house to charge it! Would I now have to buy multiple USB-C cables in order to charge my phone around the house? Seems a bit stupid and frustrating...
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
Usb c leads are different to micro usb types so you will need new cables. All the chargers and charge points will work fine around your house though with the USB c cables. If you want fast changing you need the correct spec charger but you can use most 1amp or above charges that you already have without any problem
Edited by: "wayners" 5th Jul
USB c is so much better. The cables usually last so much longer too.
Yeah i guess thats what happens.. I had to get new chargers for my Huawei. Luckily pound world have them. Plus i bought adaptors and carry them about with me.. just incase
wayners40 m ago

Usb c leads are different to micro usb types so you will need new cables. …Usb c leads are different to micro usb types so you will need new cables. All the chargers and charge points will work fine around your house though with the USB c cables. If you want fast changing you need the correct spec charger but you can use most 1amp or above charges that you already have without any problem

No you won't need new cables. You can get adapters as others have said. Samsung included an adapter when I got my S8+ so can assure you that they exist and work perfectly
I don't see the point of changing phone chargers to USB-C
Hi,you can get usb c to micro adapters.
xfaxfa42 m ago

No you won't need new cables. You can get adapters as others have said. …No you won't need new cables. You can get adapters as others have said. Samsung included an adapter when I got my S8+ so can assure you that they exist and work perfectly

I worry that adaptors do not comply with the required specifications of type c. A bodge up.. Cables are so cheep why risk it.
Any recommendations on cables? Some can be really slow.
Just had the same issue, had to buy all new cables, and then discovered that there is no headphone socket on my p20 Pro so the headphones use the USB c, but guess what - there is only one so had to buy a splitter but then discovered not all splitters work with all phones!! So much for a standard.

The only benefit I can see is that it's reversible.
superfreddy21 m ago

You could always return the phone and get one thats suitable to the chargers you have already?
superfreddy36 m ago

I see where you're coming from, what's the point of progress, eh?

We were happy in the day.....
34250519-Q9SU9.jpg
mrty2 m ago

I see where you're coming from, what's the point of progress, eh?We were …I see where you're coming from, what's the point of progress, eh?We were happy in the day..... [Image]

I don't see the benefits of changing the cable type?
superfreddy5th Jul

Any recommendations on cables? Some can be really slow.

Suggest these... USB C charger leads

Made by Anker, absolutely first class product. I have an app on my phone to measure charge rate, and its approximately 20% faster than the one supplied by Huawei with the phone.
superfreddy17 m ago

I don't see the benefits of changing the cable type?

Without googling the answer I can see one distinct advantage...

There is no orientation issue. There is no top or bottom, you can't damage your phone by trying to put it in upside down.

No fumbling around in the dark trying to work out which way is up.
Edited by: "mrty" 5th Jul
mrty17 m ago

Suggest these... USB C charger leadsMade by Anker, absolutely first class …Suggest these... USB C charger leadsMade by Anker, absolutely first class product. I have an app on my phone to measure charge rate, and its approximately 20% faster than the one supplied by Huawei with the phone.

Link doesn't work
Extracts from. 5 reasons why USB C is better.

It’s fast. Type-C ports can transfer data using the zippy speeds of the latest version of the USB protocol — up to 10 gigabits per second.

It’s powerful. The new connector can provide up to 100 watts of power, enough to power a laptop.

It’s flexible. Via adapters, users will be able to connect older devices to Type-C ports, even devices that use non-USB technologies, like DisplayPort, VGA and Ethernet.
Anker [2-Pack] PowerLine+ USB-C to USB A 2.0 Cable, 3ft, for Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, MacBook, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10, Xiaomi 5 and More amazon.co.uk/dp/…9NC
mrty7 m ago

Anker [2-Pack] PowerLine+ USB-C to USB A 2.0 Cable, 3ft, for Galaxy S8, …Anker [2-Pack] PowerLine+ USB-C to USB A 2.0 Cable, 3ft, for Galaxy S8, S8+, S9, MacBook, Sony XZ, LG V20 G5 G6, HTC 10, Xiaomi 5 and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072152BWQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_x8FpBb0XCN9NC

Geez, £8.99 for two?!
Yes but you get quality. You can buy 2 for a £1 in the cheap shops, buy you spend hundreds on a phone then buy a 50p lead ? Like these people who pay £2000 for a pushbike, then lock it with a 99p lock from a cheap shop... Then complain that its been stolen.. Idiotic really.
Edited by: "mrty" 5th Jul
mrty6 m ago

Yes but you get quality. You can buy 2 for a £1 in the cheap shops, buy …Yes but you get quality. You can buy 2 for a £1 in the cheap shops, buy you spend hundreds on a phone then buy a 50p lead ? Like these people who pay £2000 for a pushbike, then lock it with a 99p lock from a cheap shop... Then complain that its been stolen.. Idiotic really.

Ok thank you. What about an official Nokia fast charger? Seen one on eBay but can't tell if it's a knock off.
Asda were selling Polaroid branded USB C cables a week or two ago for £2.50. if you struggle to find any, i'll check my local next time I'm there to see if they've any left. They were usb C to usb C though, annoyingly, so you'll still likely need a plug.
Is there not a charger with the phone? Use that.
mrty1 h, 47 m ago

Is there not a charger with the phone? Use that.

There is, but it's an import!
wayners5th Jul

I worry that adaptors do not comply with the required specifications of …I worry that adaptors do not comply with the required specifications of type c. A bodge up.. Cables are so cheep why risk it.

Clearly they do. Samsung would not provide them if they didn't perform. And I've charged my phone on both standard type-C cables and using the adapter and the results are the same.

EXTRACT FROM TRUSTEDREVIEWS:
The first thing to realise about USB-C is that it’s not a new USB standard in the same way as USB 1.1, USB 2.0, USB 3.0 or the very latest USB 3.1 are. Those upgrades focus on defining what the connection can do in terms of speed and feature improvements, whereas USB-C is all about the physical connection, like with microUSB and miniUSB.
Edited by: "xfaxfa" 10th Jul
xfaxfa12 h, 49 m ago

Clearly they do. Samsung would not provide them if they didn't perform. …Clearly they do. Samsung would not provide them if they didn't perform. And I've charged my phone on both standard type-C cables and using the adapter and the results are the same.EXTRACT FROM TRUSTEDREVIEWS:The first thing to realise about USB-C is that it’s not a new USB standard in the same way as USB 1.1, USB 2.0, USB 3.0 or the very latest USB 3.1 are. Those upgrades focus on defining what the connection can do in terms of speed and feature improvements, whereas USB-C is all about the physical connection, like with microUSB and miniUSB.

You have not heard of Benson Leung, the Google engineer? After his phone died because of a usb c cable, he took it upon him self to test type c cables.. It's now called... The benson test. Amazon decided not to sell cables unless they passed the benson test a couple of years ago. It's a, good story. Way to go benson
Edited by: "wayners" 11th Jul
Any other suggestions? Ideally need 2, possibly 3.
Is USB 3.0 the best to get? I did think about these but not sure

amazon.co.uk/Cab…les
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants