USB-C to 2x USB-A. Does it exist?

Posted 6th Dec 2019
Hi Peeps,

I've been looking for a cable/adapter and I'm not sure it exists.

I'm looking for a cable to charge my USB-C phone but also connect it to my PC via USB. Basically, when I charge my phone via the PC, it charges so slow, but "Fast Charges when it's connected to the mains.

Is there such a thing that I can charge my phone through the mains (so it charges quickly), but also have it connected to my PC for data transfer etc? I guess it would be described as a USB-C to 2x split USB-A adapter/cable.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
As far as I know, you can only charge or transmit data, not both at the same time.

You'll only get 0.5A via a computer USB port which is about a qyarter versus the mains charger.
Edited by: "moob" 6th Dec 2019
Thanks @moob

That could explain why I'm struggling to find anything.

So when the phone is connected to the PC, charging at 0.5A, and you initiate a data transfer, does it stop charging while the data transfer is taking place, then resume charging afterwards?

If that's the case it would probably mean that the adapter/cable I'm looking for would have to have some kind of intelligence and would therefore be pretty pricey anyway.
JohnnyRoller06/12/2019 15:02

This should work

Hi @JohnnyRoller

How confident are you? I guess it's less than a fiver so might be worth a punt. Someone has asked the question if it can be used to charge the phone and someone has answered saying that it cannot.
kebabthief06/12/2019 15:08

Hi @JohnnyRoller How confident are you? I guess it's less than a fiver so …Hi @JohnnyRoller How confident are you? I guess it's less than a fiver so might be worth a punt. Someone has asked the question if it can be used to charge the phone and someone has answered saying that it cannot.

I honestly couldn’t say for definite, however it is a standard OTG cable. I use one for the PlayStation Classic mini, which is to have one adapter socket to power the console and the other for the flash drive.

I would imagine that is purpose of this cable for phones, to power the device and access a flash drive. So I would’ve imagined that transferring data on a PC and receiving the power from mains would’ve been fine. However I’m no expert unfortunately.

Like you said, it’s less than a fiver. If anything it’s a handy cable to have for devices...
Try connecting the phone to a USB3 port on PC as the power spec for USB3 is 900mA compared to 500mA of USB2.
Or you may, not necessarily will, be able to obtain a more beneficial charge at the same time as shifting data by using an externally-powered USB3 hub. Possibly random "high speed charging" £6.74 FBA example that appears to accept an external 5V PSU via the included power cable amazon.co.uk/dp/…HW8 . The source connector required for the included power cable is not stated but likely to be standard USB A female and if so use with any USB / 5V DC charger that has say 2A or more output from a standard USB A female socket (or same through physical converts / adapters).
kebabthief06/12/2019 15:08

Hi @JohnnyRoller How confident are you? I guess it's less than a fiver so …Hi @JohnnyRoller How confident are you? I guess it's less than a fiver so might be worth a punt. Someone has asked the question if it can be used to charge the phone and someone has answered saying that it cannot.

Reasonably irrelevant anyway as that solution still depends on the source power (PC) which is suggested to be inadequate to provide "fast charge". The issue with any solution plugged into a USB2 socket is that the USB2 spec does not allow for the current required for "fast charging". Some USB2 sockets can provide more than the spec of 500mA but seriously doubt any USB2-spec'd item will provide "fast charge" current.
Just looking at this amazon.co.uk/Hea…8-3

That could potentially work with 2x decent quality USB-C to USB-A cables - one going to a USB mains adapter, the other to the PC. Hmmm.

Thanks for the input so far guys.
kebabthief06/12/2019 15:35

Just looking at this …Just looking at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-Adapter-Earphone-Charging-Compatible-black/dp/B07KXRHGDS/ That could potentially work with 2x decent quality USB-C to USB-A cables - one going to a USB mains adapter, the other to the PC. Hmmm.Thanks for the input so far guys.

What type and variant is the USB connector on your PC?
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 15:38

What type and variant is the USB connector on your PC?

USB 3.0, from the I/O on the board (i.e. not the front ports on the case).
kebabthief06/12/2019 15:39

USB 3.0, from the I/O on the board (i.e. not the front ports on the case).

If your USB3 socket does not provide enough power for fast charging then no "cable-only" solution will change that limitation; any solution will require external power injection. If you have no requirement for additional USB-C connectivity other than the phone then the £6.74 suggestion + external USB PSU option is going to be significantly less cost than the £14.79 item + two cables + external PSU option, assuming any of those two options may perform the simultaneous actions required.
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 15:55

If your USB3 socket does not provide enough power for fast charging then …If your USB3 socket does not provide enough power for fast charging then no "cable-only" solution will change that limitation; any solution will require external power injection. If you have no requirement for additional USB-C connectivity other than the phone then the £6.74 suggestion + external USB PSU option is going to be significantly less cost than the £14.79 item + two cables + external PSU option, assuming any of those two options may perform the simultaneous actions required.

I was thinking with the item that I posted above, having one of the USB cables going to a mains adapter and the other to the PC. When plugged into the mains adapter, the phone can fast charge. I'd just like the ease of not having to unplug it when I want to connect to the PC for data-transfer.

Do you reckon amazon.co.uk/Hea…8-3 could do that?
kebabthief06/12/2019 16:02

I was thinking with the item that I posted above, having one of the USB …I was thinking with the item that I posted above, having one of the USB cables going to a mains adapter and the other to the PC. When plugged into the mains adapter, the phone can fast charge. I'd just like the ease of not having to unplug it when I want to connect to the PC for data-transfer. Do you reckon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-Adapter-Earphone-Charging-Compatible-black/dp/B07KXRHGDS could do that?

Both the currently tabled solutions do not require swapping of cable to phone for data transfer / and/or charging, but one solution costs at least twice the other and requires at least one (possibly two) additional cable(s). Just to be clear: the £14.79 item is all USB-C.
AndyRoyd06/12/2019 16:15

Both the currently tabled solutions do not require swapping of cable to …Both the currently tabled solutions do not require swapping of cable to phone for data transfer / and/or charging, but one solution costs at least twice the other and requires at least one (possibly two) additional cable(s). Just to be clear: the £14.79 item is all USB-C.

I have a powered USB 3 hub at the office. I'll try it with that before I buy anything. Thanks again.
kebabthief06/12/2019 16:20

I have a powered USB 3 hub at the office. I'll try it with that before I …I have a powered USB 3 hub at the office. I'll try it with that before I buy anything. Thanks again.

Sensible approach.
JohnnyRoller06/12/2019 15:13

I honestly couldn’t say for definite, however it is a standard OTG cable. I …I honestly couldn’t say for definite, however it is a standard OTG cable. I use one for the PlayStation Classic mini, which is to have one adapter socket to power the console and the other for the flash drive. I would imagine that is purpose of this cable for phones, to power the device and access a flash drive. So I would’ve imagined that transferring data on a PC and receiving the power from mains would’ve been fine. However I’m no expert

USB operates on a host-client model so one device is the host and the client. So for transferring files the computer would be the host and the flash drive would be the client.

An on-the-go cable allows devices that are normally clients (a mobile phone you can transfer files to and from) to act as host devices and have client devices attached.

As a computer is a host device, an on-the-go cable isn't what you want in this instance. Although I think later versions of the USB spec have made the OTG cables more flexible so the device may still allow the phone to work as a client.

I'm also no expert but I believe the Intended method to provide power to clients when the host can't or won't, is to use a powered USB Hub.

Which higher power standard does your phone use? If it's the Type C connector it's likely either USB-PD or Qualcomm QuickCharge 3/4.
EndlessWaves06/12/2019 17:19

USB operates on a host-client model so one device is the host and the …USB operates on a host-client model so one device is the host and the client. So for transferring files the computer would be the host and the flash drive would be the client. An on-the-go cable allows devices that are normally clients (a mobile phone you can transfer files to and from) to act as host devices and have client devices attached. As a computer is a host device, an on-the-go cable isn't what you want in this instance. Although I think later versions of the USB spec have made the OTG cables more flexible so the device may still allow the phone to work as a client. I'm also no expert but I believe the Intended method to provide power to clients when the host can't or won't, is to use a powered USB Hub. Which higher power standard does your phone use? If it's the Type C connector it's likely either USB-PD or Qualcomm QuickCharge 3/4.

Thanks for such an insightful reply.

My phone is a OnePlus 5 which has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (if that helps). OnePlus describe it as using OnePlus' proprietary Dash Charge technology.
If you only want it connected to your pc for data transfer then can't you use your WiFi to transfer its quicker than a cable
kebabthief06/12/2019 17:52

Thanks for such an insightful reply.My phone is a OnePlus 5 which has a …Thanks for such an insightful reply.My phone is a OnePlus 5 which has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (if that helps). OnePlus describe it as using OnePlus' proprietary Dash Charge technology.

It does appear to be a custom power standard that hasn't been used outside of that company:
en.wikipedia.org/wik…OOC

So I doubt you'll get any setup that can work at 20W.

But the phone may support other power standards, such as the Type C connector one (15W) or the older USB Battery Charging 1.2 (7.5W) rather than the 2.5W you'd get from an older USB port.

Maybe a powered USB hub with a type C port?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants