USB DVD Writers

Found 19th Apr
I'm thinking of getting one, but the Samsung SE-S084 I'll looking at is 10 years old! Are there any disadvantages of buying one that old, even if it's new?

Thanks
Community Updates
8 Comments
Do you mean old new stock ? Main issue is the grease could or hardened or if there's a belt it might of perished.

Any drive should would with an a psu and a conversion board.
kester7612 m ago

Do you mean old new stock ? Main issue is the grease could or hardened or …Do you mean old new stock ? Main issue is the grease could or hardened or if there's a belt it might of perished.Any drive should would with an a psu and a conversion board.

Someone is selling one they've never used
They're not that expensive anyway so I would probably dodge and buy a new bluray reader/DVD+CD writer. DVD is a dead format as the 8.5 GB discs were kept expensive by hollywood. I'll eventually get round to making a dual 5.25" external drive enclosure for my Bluray/DVD writer as they come in handy for ripping video and CDs accurately. Besides that the optical drive is just blocking airflow into my case.
kester763 h, 8 m ago

They're not that expensive anyway so I would probably dodge and buy a new …They're not that expensive anyway so I would probably dodge and buy a new bluray reader/DVD+CD writer. DVD is a dead format as the 8.5 GB discs were kept expensive by hollywood. I'll eventually get round to making a dual 5.25" external drive enclosure for my Bluray/DVD writer as they come in handy for ripping video and CDs accurately. Besides that the optical drive is just blocking airflow into my case.

To be honest I just want it to burn the occasional CD or DVD.

It's rare I would use it. Would a £10 unbranded one from eBay be suitable?
superfreddy2 h, 27 m ago

To be honest I just want it to burn the occasional CD or DVD.It's rare I …To be honest I just want it to burn the occasional CD or DVD.It's rare I would use it. Would a £10 unbranded one from eBay be suitable?

I would of thought so. The technology has been refined to the point that the tech is dirt cheap. I paid over £100 for my 1st pioneer dvd writer 2nd hand. It was solid with a fan cooler and the replacement a few years down the line was cheap a tacky but beat it on all counts.

Just checked and I think the one I owned was a pioneer 102/103 and the tray mech was buttery smooth. The pioneer 105/106 writer that replaced it rattled.
Edited by: "kester76" 20th Apr
superfreddy2 h, 39 m ago

To be honest I just want it to burn the occasional CD or DVD.It's rare I …To be honest I just want it to burn the occasional CD or DVD.It's rare I would use it. Would a £10 unbranded one from eBay be suitable?

Yes and no. The issue will be continued compatibility with software and driver availability. Yes there are default windows drivers etc but an unbranded product has risks and returning it can be problematic via Escam. The branded product is much likely to continue to work.
I've got this exact drive, it's probably 10 years old, i've not looked after it yet it's the only Samsung product I've owned that hasn't developed a fault.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions