USB extender

Posted 22nd Sep
Hi,

I want to use an extender cable to connect my external Transcend memory hard disk to my tv.

There are so many options like male to male, male to female etc that I don’t know which one to get.

I would appreciate some assistance

Tia
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Male fits inside the female without fully knowing your connections its usually female to male
Edited by: "ding" 22nd Sep
If the hard drive has a detatchable cable you'd typically use a male to male cable with the same connectors (there are about 6 different ones hard drives have used depending on age and size).

If it doesn't have a detatchable cable then it's likely a Type A female to Type A male extension cable. Although a brand new drive may also be Type C female to Type A male. Male connectors are the plugs, female connectors are the sockets.

Does the hard drive has it's own power supply? While USB has a 3m/5m limit for a normal cable for transferring data a self-powered hard drive will typically require a much shorter cable due to the power losses in a long cable.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 22nd Sep
Summary: "USB extension cable male/female type A" or "USB3 extension cable male/female type A", based on assumption of typical standards:
your TV will have a female connection; your existing USB cable will have a male connection; both type A; either USB2 or USB3. It is unlikely any cable described as "USB extension" will not have one female plus one male connection, typically type A if not otherwise stated. Probably best to obtain a USB3 / USB3.0 / USB3.1 extension cable even if your Transcend is USB2 (USB3x has better transfer spec). Maximum length 5metres. Random FB Amazon 2m / 3m / 5m examples of "USB3 extension cable male/female type A" to use with and extend your existing cable:
amazon.co.uk/dp/…E0/
or optionally it may be beneficial to effectively have a spare cable by not using an extension, just one longer USB cable. Not obvious what integral USB connection your Transcend drive has, but it is probably (repeat: probably) type micro-B, so random example cables may be:
amazon.co.uk/dp/…1O/
Many thanks for the reply.

It’s a detachable chord. It’s one of this portable Transcend storage units and it doesn’t have a separate powered supply.

So I assuming it’s a male to male cable?
38523091-nnrCf.jpgdoes this look like it suits your needs, 1 will plug into the TV and your hdd cable will plug into 2 if so it's a male to female
Edited by: "ding" 22nd Sep
adamnsu22/09/2019 17:55

Many thanks for the reply.It’s a detachable chord. It’s one of this por …Many thanks for the reply.It’s a detachable chord. It’s one of this portable Transcend storage units and it doesn’t have a separate powered supply.So I assuming it’s a male to male cable?

Yeah, if you're trying to get a longer cable for a self-powered drive then best to avoid extra connections. One cable is better than the original cable and an extender.

The brand doesn't tell us anything about the connector. There have been least fifteen years worth of Transcend external hard drives

Normally in that situation you'd buy a powered hub instead, but a lot of Smart TVs don't support them.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants