Groups
    EXPIRED

usb formatting on mac for windows?

hi sorry the title is a bit confusing. iv bought my sister a 128gb USB stick for xmas and I'm putting some stuff on there for her.
    my question is - i am using a macbook, but she will be using the usb on a windows laptop. do i format it before i put anything on, or just drag the stuff over and not bother formatting because it isn't gonna be used on my mac? i know even now it may be a bit vague what I'm after but hopefully someone knows what I'm on about!

11 Comments

Formatting creates a file system, you can't put files on the stick if it's unformatted.

If it came ready formatted then I wouldn't re-format it as it's likely to be in a format Windows can read (exFAT maybe) unless it was specifically marketed at Mac OS users.
    Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 17th Dec 2014

It will come pre formatted for PC, the Macbook will read and write to it no problem as will any PC. So leave as is and you will be fine.

I would reformat as Mac and PC with Disc Utility.

Fat32 (4gb file limit) or exfat. Ntfs is read only on mac. Os x journaled is Mac only

Original Poster

Thanks for all your help everyone and the easy to understand explanations. I'll leave it as it is, thanks again.
    Edited by: "francodevil" 17th Dec 2014

There is a program called MacDrive mediafour.com/pro…ive

Runs in the tray of your Windows desktop.

Very good, but you have to buy it or ...

DennisG

Fat32 (4gb file limit) or exfat. Ntfs is read only on mac. Os x journaled … Fat32 (4gb file limit) or exfat. Ntfs is read only on mac. Os x journaled is Mac only

For future ref, Mac's will indeed write to a NTFS drive, but you need to enable this 'feature'. Here's a link that explains the simple process. I did this so I could share my WD Passport drive between my Win laptop and my Macbook.

computers.tutsplus.com/tut…434

Edit: Works on Yosemite too.
    Edited by: "Tony68k" 17th Dec 2014

cheers. will keep that tip in mind if I ever have to use that format!

Also something to be aware of is that if you delete any of the files on the USB drive on the Mac, it will store them in the trashcan folder on the USB drive which can lead to the drive being full, even when you think it isn't. The solution is to empty the trashcan prior to ejecting the USB drive.

crg52

Also something to be aware of is that if you delete any of the files on … Also something to be aware of is that if you delete any of the files on the USB drive on the Mac, it will store them in the trashcan folder on the USB drive which can lead to the drive being full, even when you think it isn't. The solution is to empty the trashcan prior to ejecting the USB drive.

Forgot about that. Can you get to the trash can on a PC or do you need the Mac for that?

Tony68k

Forgot about that. Can you get to the trash can on a PC or do you need … Forgot about that. Can you get to the trash can on a PC or do you need the Mac for that?

It's a hidden folder on the USB drive. If you show hidden folders, you can delete the entire folder in windows.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What kind of workstation desk should I buy for my office / music room ?59
      2. Samsung Galaxy S666
      3. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2636
      4. Family Spotify account21

See more discussions