Groups

USB Not Being Recognised

So last year I purchased the Grixx USB 2.0 Flash Drive - 128GB from 7dayshop, all of a sudden it has stopped being recognised by everything, it shows up in Disk Management but, it doesnt show its volume. So I can't format it, it is still under a year from purchase and I have email'ed 7dayshop and am waiting for their response. But if I can fix it that would be the ideal option.

Thanks in advance

10 Comments

Try SD card formatter. Very good for resolving sd issues. Link to Windows version below, site also has Mac etc.

sdcard.org/dow…ws/

Let me know how you get on.

Sounds odd but check it has a drive letter assigned to it in disk management, I've had it before where the drive letter unassigned itself resulting in the USB not appearing.

Original Poster

momartin

Sounds odd but check it has a drive letter assigned to it in disk … Sounds odd but check it has a drive letter assigned to it in disk management, I've had it before where the drive letter unassigned itself resulting in the USB not appearing.

It does have a drive letter, assigned different ones like 3 times

Original Poster

bass2655

Try SD card formatter. Very good for resolving sd issues. Link to Windows … Try SD card formatter. Very good for resolving sd issues. Link to Windows version below, site also has Mac etc. https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/eula_windows/Let me know how you get on.

The drive doesn't even appear on the program, so cant format it

You need to use diskpart to format the drive (youtube is your friend), this might solve your problem.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 10th Sep 2016

Possibly corrupt drivers or faulty USB - if you can't test the USB Storage in another PC then try the following

On Windows PC - make sure USB storage is not connected
    Open Device Manager click View then select Show hidden devices then scroll to Storage volumes and expand the list
    Find all those drivers for that particular USB storage and right click and uninstall - do this for all that you can find and identify - any with dark icon are already in use so it should be all greyed out (if I remember correctly). When complete - reboot PC then reconnect USB

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

You need to use diskpart to format the drive (youtube is your friend), … You need to use diskpart to format the drive (youtube is your friend), this might solve your problem.

Didn't work, there are no partitions to show and couldnt creare a partition

Original Poster

philphil61

Possibly corrupt drivers or faulty USB - if you can't test the USB … Possibly corrupt drivers or faulty USB - if you can't test the USB Storage in another PC then try the followingOn Windows PC - make sure USB storage is not connectedOpen Device Manager click View then select Show hidden devices then scroll to Storage volumes and expand the listFind all those drivers for that particular USB storage and right click and uninstall - do this for all that you can find and identify - any with dark icon are already in use so it should be all greyed out (if I remember correctly). When complete - reboot PC then reconnect USB

Did that still doesn't work, I'm starting to think that the USB is completely gone.

Rid1

Didn't work, there are no partitions to show and couldnt creare a … Didn't work, there are no partitions to show and couldnt creare a partition

cmd (run as admin)

diskpart
    list disk
    select disk #
    clean
    create partition primary
    active
    select partition 1
    format fs=ntfs or format fs=fat32
    assign
    exit

Original Poster

RiverDragon8

cmd (run as admin)diskpartlist diskselect disk #cleancreate partition … cmd (run as admin)diskpartlist diskselect disk #cleancreate partition primaryactiveselect partition 1format fs=ntfs or format fs=fat32assignexit

When writing list disk, Disk 2 has no media Size 0B
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card44
      3. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO11
      4. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22

See more discussions