Groups

USB Ports

I bought a new computer last Friday, However im noticing that my 6 usb ports never work at the same time and i need to change the port my mouse is in quite regularly.

What is the problem?

Should i take it back?

Thanks

13 Comments

If it is a desktop comp. open the box and taking into manual find the cable connecting USB ports to motherboard.
    I have never seen laptop with 6 usb ports :-)
    If it is too hard for you take it back.

Original Poster

I will take it apart tonight and see if any wires are disconnected.

Thanks

Are you saying they all work at some point just randomly?

What do you have connected to your usb ports? (not just currently but at any point?

Original Poster

well i have my mouse an keyboard in them. I had them in my front usb for 5 days then they stopped working, Then i plugged them in 2 at back, now thats stopped working, now they are in my last 2.

Have you tried anything else in the ports that you say no longer work?

Original Poster

Nope...

will try a usb stick now.

A usb stick works in everyone!

Why doe it sometimes randomly cut me off forcing me to switch then?

Thanks

That sounds odd then, does it happen when you are doing something else that may draw extra power from the pc such as video's games etc?

probably worth checking the port is still wired using something which obviously shows when it has power (e.g. that has an LED / display of some sort??) for that matter, even an optical mouse would indicate that wouldnt it.. ;-)

If you have the adapters for your keyboard and mouse it may be worth connecting them to their own dedicated ports (PS/2) Colour coded purple and green normally.

Original Poster

harlzter;2306514

That sounds odd then, does it happen when you are doing something else … That sounds odd then, does it happen when you are doing something else that may draw extra power from the pc such as video's games etc?

No, The only thing i have noticed that has happened both times is that my computer has been left on but unused for long periods of time (3+ hours)

vengod;2307451

No, The only thing i have noticed that has happened both times is that my … No, The only thing i have noticed that has happened both times is that my computer has been left on but unused for long periods of time (3+ hours)

When your computer is on but left unattended does it go into sleep mode or hibernate etc? sounds like the pc is waking up but not the usb's. Try going into control panel and then power settings and seeing what the settings are.

Original Poster

harlzter;2307484

When your computer is on but left unattended does it go into sleep mode … When your computer is on but left unattended does it go into sleep mode or hibernate etc? sounds like the pc is waking up but not the usb's. Try going into control panel and then power settings and seeing what the settings are.

Thanks, changed the times. Will wait and see

Rep added.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions