Groups

USB Ports not working

all the usb ports have stopped working on my computer
    i have tried resetting the bios but still no joy
    is the motherboard broken or is there anything else i could try

7 Comments

Do you have them enabled in the BIOS, and do you have USB keyboards enabled (or at least, not disable) in the BIOS? If so, plug a USB keyboard in, if it isn't recognised or usable during the POST and BIOS setup stage, you're running short on options.

Original Poster

cant get into device manager as mouse is usb or is there a way around that?

Original Poster

dxx

Do you have them enabled in the BIOS, and do you have USB keyboards … Do you have them enabled in the BIOS, and do you have USB keyboards enabled (or at least, not disable) in the BIOS? If so, plug a USB keyboard in, if it isn't recognised or usable during the POST and BIOS setup stage, you're running short on options.

i tried disabling the usb,restart the computer and enable them again but still nothing

PEPSIDAVE

i tried disabling the usb,restart the computer and enable them again but … i tried disabling the usb,restart the computer and enable them again but still nothing

Does your USB keyboard work in the BIOS setup, though? Try USB harddrives or USB thumbdrives, too. That's the thing I'm getting at, here. Reason being, you see, if USB hardware works inside the BIOS setup or is recognised by the POST, it means your USB ports are working, and that if they don't work within Windows then it's a Windows problem. If even the BIOS and the POST don't recognise the devices, chances are the ports are FUBAR'd.

First I would check to see if there is any power going to them, plug something in that is powered by USB and see if they are even carrying a voltage. If they chances are your registry permissions for the USB are corrupt. Had a PC I was repairing last week with the same fault, started with a virus that attacked the registry the easiest thing to do was boot from the OS disk and repair the system.

patti

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900/en-usMight be something in the … http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817900/en-usMight be something in the above that would help.

yup try fix it as above..

If you still have no joy...with the above.

Remove the headers from the mainboard eg where the front panel or back panel connects to the motherboard (if you have separate vcc+/- you need to take note of where they connect ...(turn off psu 1st and unplug for a couple of minutes) b4 re connecting the headers.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. New a camera to keep track of my Demintina Mother67
      2. What laptop to choose?11
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??33
      4. Laptop screen backlight issue23

See more discussions