USB to HDMI on Laptop

Posted 9th Dec 2019
I have been asked to arranged a photo display for a wake. I rang the hotel where the wake is taking place and they told me that i need a laptop with a HDMI connection. I am not sure that the laptop i will be using (i haven't seen it yet) will have a HDMI port. Would it work if i buy a cable that goes from USB to female HDMI?
Thanks
J
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
the passive type of cable requires support from the laptop called mhl you would need to find out if the lappy supports that, you can get active adapters but there is huge variance in ability and quality, the cheaper ones do very limited resolutions which may make the display look awful but the better quality ones are not cheap and again it will depend on the laptop having newer usb 3 ports etc.
lots of laptops do have hdmi so try and get one that does much easier.
maddogb09/12/2019 11:01

the passive type of cable requires support from the laptop called mhl you …the passive type of cable requires support from the laptop called mhl you would need to find out if the lappy supports that, you can get active adapters but there is huge variance in ability and quality, the cheaper ones do very limited resolutions which may make the display look awful but the better quality ones are not cheap and again it will depend on the laptop having newer usb 3 ports etc.lots of laptops do have hdmi so try and get one that does much easier.

Ok thanks. Looks like it is going to be more complicated that i thought it would be
J
jeannot1809/12/2019 11:06

Ok thanks. Looks like it is going to be more complicated that i thought it …Ok thanks. Looks like it is going to be more complicated that i thought it would beJ

I use my mobile phone (Samsung s8+) with a USB Type C>HDMI to connect to our screens in work. If that helps any also.

First random link on Amazon so could be had cheaper.

Well to be exact I use the one below. (got it at the time for £9.99)
USB C Hub
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 9th Dec 2019
maddogb09/12/2019 11:01

the passive type of cable requires support from the laptop called mhl you …the passive type of cable requires support from the laptop called mhl you would need to find out if the lappy supports that

Very few, if any, laptops ever supported MHL. It was mainly a phone and tablet thing.

Although increasing numbers of laptops do support video output over USB ports these days, it's done via DisplayPort Alternate Mode for the USB Type C connector (or Thunderbolt 3, which is the same thing for this) rather than MHL.

But generally HDMI outputs are pretty common, and those laptops that don't have them often have DVI or DisplayPort which are also both capable of outputting video over HDMI over a passive cable (DVI doesn't support audio).
Modern laptops have hdmi out, you really really need to know what laptop you're going to be using, if it's really ancient, you'll need a VGA to HDMI converter
Thanks everyone. The wife of the deceased has a Samsung tablet i think (not sure what model though) if this has HDMI i may use this instead. No matter what i do, i will go to the venue beforehand and try as i really don't want to mess that up
J
jeannot1809/12/2019 11:45

Thanks everyone. The wife of the deceased has a Samsung tablet i think …Thanks everyone. The wife of the deceased has a Samsung tablet i think (not sure what model though) if this has HDMI i may use this instead. No matter what i do, i will go to the venue beforehand and try as i really don't want to mess that upJ

If the hotel has wifi you could insert a Google Chromecast into the hdmi port on the telly and cast photos/videos to the telly that way.
You will/should have some sort of video port on it, VGA, DVI or HDMI. Take a picture on the ports and up load it, if its VGA or DVI you will need an audio jack cable of some description (if required).
jeannot1809/12/2019 11:45

Thanks everyone. The wife of the deceased has a Samsung tablet i think …Thanks everyone. The wife of the deceased has a Samsung tablet i think (not sure what model though) if this has HDMI i may use this instead. No matter what i do, i will go to the venue beforehand and try as i really don't want to mess that upJ

Most tablets don't have any video output, a laptop is much more likely to do what you want.
Ok good news, my daughter called me and has a laptop with a HDMI port. All i have to do is to try it at the venue and fingers crossed it should work
Thanks again all
J
jeannot1809/12/2019 15:53

Ok good news, my daughter called me and has a laptop with a HDMI port. All …Ok good news, my daughter called me and has a laptop with a HDMI port. All i have to do is to try it at the venue and fingers crossed it should workThanks again allJ

Just make sure you know how to put on a "slide show"
Don't most smart TVs have a usb port? Just load the photos into a usb stick
robertsclark09/12/2019 18:16

Don't most smart TVs have a usb port? Just load the photos into a usb stick

I think it's a projector that they have got. I am going tomorrow morning to test everything.
ok, just back from the hotel, we managed to connect via the VGA port, and it is working, so great. Thanks everyone for your input.
J
tardytortoise09/12/2019 12:22

If the hotel has wifi you could insert a Google Chromecast into the hdmi …If the hotel has wifi you could insert a Google Chromecast into the hdmi port on the telly and cast photos/videos to the telly that way.

That is extremely unlikely to work. Any 'commercial' network should isolate all devices or it would be extremely insecure if anyone on the network could access all devices on it.
dcx_badass10/12/2019 12:21

That is extremely unlikely to work. Any 'commercial' network should …That is extremely unlikely to work. Any 'commercial' network should isolate all devices or it would be extremely insecure if anyone on the network could access all devices on it.

I believe Chromecast works off wi-fi direct doesn't it, rather than connecting to an existing wi-fi network? (it does that too, but for internet functionality)
jeannot1810/12/2019 12:04

ok, just back from the hotel, we managed to connect via the VGA port, and …ok, just back from the hotel, we managed to connect via the VGA port, and it is working, so great. Thanks everyone for your input. J

Dont forget vga doesnt carry an audio signal.
m1keyp1key10/12/2019 15:21

Dont forget vga doesnt carry an audio signal.

The sound is being sorted by somebody else. They have a PA system and apparently the guy doing the music just needs to bring an USB stick
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions