Groups

USB Turntable

Anyone got one/or used one of these?

I've been using my own turntables to put my vinyl's onto my PC, but haven't been getting the desired results (deck is a bit old and the wiring is starting to go). I use soundforge to record it all but just wondering if it would be easier using USB TT?

6 Comments

Original Poster

anyone?

Hi

We were looking at a usb turntable to transfer my wife's huge vinyl collection across but had a stab with our own turntable connected to a laptop.

Results have been very good. The popular usb tt on the market comes with Audacity which is freeware and that is what we used. I'm tinkering with Cool Edit Pro now but that's more involved by the looks of it.

If you are serious about getting a usb turntable then I'd pay a few extra quid and get a direct drive turntable. It comes in at around £150 on Fleabay from a dealer and will be streets ahead of any belt driven machine.

You would no doubt get a good re-sale price on it once you've finished as well.

Original Poster

Yeah, that's the one problem I saw with the USB TT's I've seen is that they're belt driven.

Might try and see if I can borrow one of my mates Technics

Sorry but I disagree entirely. Direct drives suffer from cogging, and the best TTs in the world are belt driven !

A good TT is the ProJect Debut, or Debut II. Add a NAD Phono PreAmp and that's all you need (it's what I used for the Jake Thackray Project CDs). 26 years in pro audio here btw....

Original Poster

g8ina

Sorry but I disagree entirely. Direct drives suffer from cogging, and the … Sorry but I disagree entirely. Direct drives suffer from cogging, and the best TTs in the world are belt driven !A good TT is the ProJect Debut, or Debut II. Add a NAD Phono PreAmp and that's all you need (it's what I used for the Jake Thackray Project CDs). 26 years in pro audio here btw....

lol...... :whistling:

We have one and dad has just started using it (he has literally thousands of records, even had a cabinet made especially to house them!)

He found it difficult to work out at first (and he is good with technology) but has it sussed now - said the quality is good
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764216
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?31138
      3. What do these 2 men have in common1013
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846168

See more discussions