USB wifi adapter - Router now dropping connection

Posted 25th Jul 2020
Following a recent Windows 10 update the wifi card in my laptop stopped working. Cut a long story short I removed the internal wifi card and purchased this Maxdigi USB wifi adapter from Amazon amazon.co.uk/MAX…87W

Quite a few times now the wifi drops - but more annoyingly it's dropping the connection to the rest of the family and the only way to resolve it is by rebooting the talktalk router.

I'm using the Windows 10 driver for the USB adapter - when I try and install the drivers from the CD it says I have the newest driver installed. It's showing as a Realtek 881CU.

The only thing I can think of is the advanced properties when you go into device manager. But no idea what settings I can change to make any difference. Any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
If other people or losing connection then that sounds like a router problem, not a USB Dongle issue.
spruceyb25/07/2020 10:01

If other people or losing connection then that sounds like a router …If other people or losing connection then that sounds like a router problem, not a USB Dongle issue.

That was my initial reaction until I turned my laptop on and it failed to connect. A minute later I get the family saying their internet connection disconnected. This has happened 6 or 7 times now over the last week. Getting a bit tired of rebooting the router.
skyking_comms25/07/2020 12:50

That was my initial reaction until I turned my laptop on and it failed to …That was my initial reaction until I turned my laptop on and it failed to connect. A minute later I get the family saying their internet connection disconnected. This has happened 6 or 7 times now over the last week. Getting a bit tired of rebooting the router.

Try connecting the laptop via ethernet to see if that works.
Also try the USB device on another laptop. Then you'll be able to figure out if it's the laptop or the USB Device causing the issue.
Maybe there is something running on your laptop which iniataie a DoS attack ?
TobyZ25/07/2020 18:12

Maybe there is something running on your laptop which iniataie a DoS …Maybe there is something running on your laptop which iniataie a DoS attack ?

How would you know?
Post a comment
@
    Text