Use by date

Found 7th Dec 2017
just noticed something in the fridge with a use by of 2nd Dec 09:54. I wasn't aware that anyone was quite so specific. Needless to say I'll be having that before 10am tomorrow as I wouldn't want to push it.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Should I delete your comp entry now then?
deleted579597th Dec 2017

& this was the last post Darzen ever made, sadly after devouring 5 months …& this was the last post Darzen ever made, sadly after devouring 5 months out of date frankfurters.... RIP x

My gramp said in WW2 they used to bury tinned stuff and dig it up a couple of years later, he was at Dunkirk, North Africa and a couple of other places.
Years ago there weren't any dates on anything you just went by smell. Lol
I hope I follow in his footsteps cos he's 100 on 27th Dec.
Darzen6 m ago

My gramp said in WW2 they used to bury tinned stuff and dig it … My gramp said in WW2 they used to bury tinned stuff and dig it up a couple of years later, he was at Dunkirk, North Africa and a couple of other places.Years ago there weren't any dates on anything you just went by smell. Lol I hope I follow in his footsteps cos he's 100 on 27th Dec.

Great stuff. Congratulations to gramps and wish him happy from me
22 Comments
Young man(or indeed woman)........
It's because of strict tracability rules in food manufacturing, if a product has a shelf life of say 7 days then the product can be traced back to the exact moment it was manufactured.
If there is a quality issue with the food like contamination then the manufacturers know it went down the production line at the time on the use by date minus the shelf life and that batch can be investigated or recalled to ensure public safety.
Some manufacturers use this system and some use a Julian code and time I.e. 24017 09.47 (240th day of 2017 at 09.47)
Edited by: "barriey" 7th Dec 2017
barriey3 m ago

It's because of strict tracability rules in food manufacturing, if a …It's because of strict tracability rules in food manufacturing, if a product has a shelf life of say 7 days then the product can be traced back to the exact moment it was manufactured.If there is a quality issue with the food like contamination then the manufacturers know it went down the production line at the time on the use by date minus the shelf life and that batch can be investigated or recalled to ensure public safety.

Bang on:) couldn’t have said it better myself
barriey9 m ago

It's because of strict tracability rules in food manufacturing, if a …It's because of strict tracability rules in food manufacturing, if a product has a shelf life of say 7 days then the product can be traced back to the exact moment it was manufactured.If there is a quality issue with the food like contamination then the manufacturers know it went down the production line at the time on the use by date minus the shelf life and that batch can be investigated or recalled to ensure public safety.Some manufacturers use this system and some use a Julian code and time I.e. 24017 09.47 (240th day of 2017 at 09.47)

Pfft

I'll eat yoghurts up to 6 months out of date, tinned food up to 2 years out of date, nothing wrong with it.
Although I did open a tin of spam 30 months out of date and that had a bit of mould on one corner, cut it off, grilled it and it was fine.
Edited by: "Darzen" 7th Dec 2017
I think I've spotted a flaw in your cunning plan.

You say you're going to eat it by 10am, because the use by date is 2nd Dec 09:5.
You do realise that today's date is 7th Dec. So you're already out by 5 days
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell6 m ago

I think I've spotted a flaw in your cunning plan.You say you're going to …I think I've spotted a flaw in your cunning plan.You say you're going to eat it by 10am, because the use by date is 2nd Dec 09:5.You do realise that today's date is 7th Dec. So you're already out by 5 days

As I said, don't want to push it
Darzen19 m ago

PfftI'll eat yoghurts up to 6 months out of date, tinned food up to 2 …PfftI'll eat yoghurts up to 6 months out of date, tinned food up to 2 years out of date, nothing wrong with it.Although I did open a tin of spam 30 months out of date and that had a bit of mould on one corner, cut it off, grilled it and it was fine.

Use by date or best before date?

Use by date = food spoils after this date and can be a risk.

Best before date = just a recommendation.

You must have an asbestos stomach
deleted579597th Dec 2017

& this was the last post Darzen ever made, sadly after devouring 5 months …& this was the last post Darzen ever made, sadly after devouring 5 months out of date frankfurters.... RIP x

He was delirious for months, thought he was in Barcelona, but was actually a nightclub in Bradford - his mind was gone - couldn't tell the difference.
Wish me luck, I'm going in
Well I managed that fine, what a load of rub....
deleted579597th Dec 2017

My gramp said in WW2 they used to bury tinned stuff and dig it up a couple of years later, he was at Dunkirk, North Africa and a couple of other places.
Years ago there weren't any dates on anything you just went by smell. Lol
I hope I follow in his footsteps cos he's 100 on 27th Dec.
deeky12 m ago

Nah, I'm Scottish.
Darzen4 m ago

My gramp said in WW2 they used to bury tinned stuff and dig … My gramp said in WW2 they used to bury tinned stuff and dig it up a couple of years later, he was at Dunkirk, North Africa and a couple of other places.Years ago there weren't any dates on anything you just went by smell. Lol I hope I follow in his footsteps cos he's 100 on 27th Dec.

Marketing was in it's infancy.
Darzen6 m ago

My gramp said in WW2 they used to bury tinned stuff and dig it … My gramp said in WW2 they used to bury tinned stuff and dig it up a couple of years later, he was at Dunkirk, North Africa and a couple of other places.Years ago there weren't any dates on anything you just went by smell. Lol I hope I follow in his footsteps cos he's 100 on 27th Dec.

Great stuff. Congratulations to gramps and wish him happy from me
I bought lots of bits of cheese from Tesco yesterday for like 30p because it was out of date. Intending on using it for Christmas. I'll cut the mouldy bits off if there are any. I wouldn't do that with chicken mind. I ate a bag of crisps last week my sister in law was about to throw out because they had a best before date of 25th November. I lived to tell the tale....
Darzen10 h, 15 m ago

PfftI'll eat yoghurts up to 6 months out of date, tinned food up to 2 …PfftI'll eat yoghurts up to 6 months out of date, tinned food up to 2 years out of date, nothing wrong with it.Although I did open a tin of spam 30 months out of date and that had a bit of mould on one corner, cut it off, grilled it and it was fine.

So you cut off the mould, grilled it and ate it. What did you do with the rest of the Spam?
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 8th Dec 2017
32677351-Sx1jQ.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions