Use eBay.com instead of eBay.co.uk to get stuff for half the price

Found 30th Apr 2015
This isn't a "deal" as such, but rather a slight manipulation of how you search on eBay, if you want to buy something say from Hong Kong or China

The UK site allows the minimum price to be £0.99. The US site allows it to be a minimum of CAD 0.99 (CAD 0.99 = ~ USD 0.83 = ~ GBP 0.54)

Effectively:
Cheapest goods at UK site: 99p
Cheapest goods at US site: ~ 54p

It's easy to do as well!

For instance, I was searching for some "anti static wrist bands" It doesn't matter what you're searching for, but it's something I was searching for.

Here's the link for that:

ebay.co.uk/sch…c=2

(Cheapest price £0.99)

Slightly manipulate the URL and change the ".co.uk" to ".com" so it looks like:

ebay.com/sch…c=2

Then I find this:

ebay.com/itm…303

Change the ".com" to ".co.uk" and I get this:

ebay.co.uk/itm…303

And I get it nearly for half the price!!

It might look all complicated, but it takes seconds. I just wanted to provide as much detail as I could, so that people don't somehow get confused!

52 Comments

Nearly Half price is nice!
Good spot

Was posted here not that long ago.
Still a good heads up for people that missed it though.

Banned

is this fraud?

Original Poster

ewwaxo

is this fraud?

Lol no. Course not

Banned

waqasahmed

Lol no. Course not

are we not defrauding the Chinese

if i have understood this right, you only save if the item is over 99p anyway?
(barring natural price differences)

Im having a stupid day as I dont get this. Wish your links were click able so I could see what you mean.

Banned

lianne21

Im having a stupid day as I dont get this. Wish your links were click … Im having a stupid day as I dont get this. Wish your links were click able so I could see what you mean.

I don't get the eBay sets the minimum to 99 pence part.

Cheaper if you use ebay.com.au

I don't think that's true. For example

These (are hideous) have a starting price of 1p, with free postage on the UK site:

ebay.co.uk/itm…0e7

Or do you mean on buy it now only?

moneysavingkitten

Right.

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

AH yeah I mean BIN only prices. Tbf, even on the US site, the bidding will start at $0.01 instead of £0.01!

Original Poster

rev6

Cheaper if you use ebay.com.au

In theory yeah, but in practise I found that stuff was priced at more than AU 0.99 so.. ie: this is the cheapest wrist band from the eBay AU site

ebay.co.uk/itm…030

Edited by: "waqasahmed" 30th Apr 2015

Original Poster

ewwaxo

Not really.

Seller A might sell on eBay.co.uk
Seller B might sell on eBay.com

You're buying from seller B instead ie: another eBay seller. Not really defrauding any one

Original Poster

ewwaxo

Basically if you sell something as a "buy it now" price, the minimum price you can sell it for is 0.99 , at least for currencies like GBP, USD, CAD and the AUD!

waqasahmed

Not really. Seller A might sell on eBay.co.ukSeller B might sell on … Not really. Seller A might sell on eBay.co.ukSeller B might sell on eBay.comYou're buying from seller B instead ie: another eBay seller. Not really defrauding any one

I guess the selling fees may be different for the sellers for this to happen on different country sites?

Original Poster

moneysavingkitten

I guess the selling fees may be different for the sellers for this to … I guess the selling fees may be different for the sellers for this to happen on different country sites?

Perhaps? Or perhaps because eBay.com is a bigger marketplace than eBay.co.uk!

Banned

waqasahmed

Basically if you sell something as a "buy it now" price, the minimum … Basically if you sell something as a "buy it now" price, the minimum price you can sell it for is 0.99 , at least for currencies like GBP, USD, CAD and the AUD!

gotcha

waqasahmed

Perhaps? Or perhaps because eBay.com is a bigger marketplace than … Perhaps? Or perhaps because eBay.com is a bigger marketplace than eBay.co.uk!

more like ebay are lazy otherwise they'd have to change fees/levels with currency fluctuations

waqasahmed

In theory yeah, but in practise I found that stuff was priced at more … In theory yeah, but in practise I found that stuff was priced at more than AU 0.99 so.. ie: this is the cheapest wrist band from the eBay AU sitehttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-New-Anti-Static-ESD-Wrist-Strap-Discharge-Band-Grounding-Adjustable-Elastic-/271528190000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3f38576030

It could be the same both ways. I search around for the best price

ewwaxo

All of the below applies to BUY IT NOW

If I want to put something on for sale at 1p on eBay UK I can't. Minimum price is 99p.
If someone has something on sale for 99p or best offer and I try to offer anything below 99p I will get an error message (incorrect amount, amount must be over 0.99)

I hope that explains it.....
Edited by: "speedy2014" 30th Apr 2015

ewwaxo

Not fraud. Consider it a 'loophole'

Original Poster

rev6

It could be the same both ways. I search around for the best price

Tis fair enough. I find that the AU site is often more expensive than the US site!! Despite the minimum price being AUD 0.99 Which is ~51p

waqasahmed

This isn't a "deal" as such, but rather a slight manipulation of … This isn't a "deal" as such, but rather a slight manipulation of how you search on eBay, if you want to buy something say from Hong Kong or ChinaThe UK site allows the minimum price to be £0.99. The US site allows it to be a minimum of CAD 0.99 (CAD 0.99 = ~ USD 0.83 = ~ GBP 0.54) Effectively:Cheapest goods at UK site: 99pCheapest goods at US site: ~ 54pIt's easy to do as well!For instance, I was searching for some "anti static wrist bands" It doesn't matter what you're searching for, but it's something I was searching for.Here's the link for that:http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=anti+static+wrist+strap&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2(Cheapest price £0.99)Slightly manipulate the URL and change the ".co.uk" to ".com" so it looks like:http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=anti+static+wrist+strap&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2Then I find this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bule-1-8m-Anti-Static-ESD-Adjustable-Wrist-Strap-Discharge-Band-Grounding-/400579203843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d44619303Change the ".com" to ".co.uk" and I get this:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bule-1-8m-Anti-Static-ESD-Adjustable-Wrist-Strap-Discharge-Band-Grounding-/400579203843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item5d44619303And I get it nearly for half the price!!It might look all complicated, but it takes seconds. I just wanted to provide as much detail as I could, so that people don't somehow get confused!

It does help.

I was looking for a radio code for my Ford the cheapest on eBay.uk was £10.99 or something
I searched internationally and found it on eBay.com for £5!

Always nice to know.

Thanks for the heads up, op!

ewwaxo

They try to set us on fire with their cheap electrical goods, so i wouldn't feel to bad about it.

Original Poster

OldEnglish

They try to set us on fire with their cheap electrical goods, so i … They try to set us on fire with their cheap electrical goods, so i wouldn't feel to bad about it.

I just lol'd irl! I do try and get the mains powered stuff from the UK or at least the European union these days (Unless say it's a certain Wi-Fi card that is manufactured over there (genuine) ), so long as it's from a reputable enough company ie: it's one thing buying from the UK or the EU, but they might still buy from the manufacturers that sell unsafe stuff. It's quite another to buy from reputable shops that only sell CE approved kit (Not to be mistaken for the other "CE" label which means "Certified for Europe")

going to try this. i often buy 99p trinkets and am already surprised they can supply it at that price.
had a quick look for something i bought this morning for £1.07 and it was $2.58aus for the cheapest on there. will def continue checking aus and us sites though. cheers

Original Poster

DennisG

going to try this. i often buy 99p trinkets and am already surprised they … going to try this. i often buy 99p trinkets and am already surprised they can supply it at that price.had a quick look for something i bought this morning for £1.07 and it was $2.58aus for the cheapest on there. will def continue checking aus and us sites though. cheers

I've always wondered how they can afford to sell stuff for 99p with free shipping.. It's even more mind boggling when you see stuff on a bidding basis sell for...6p... with free delivery or CAD 0.99 for buy it now (~54p) How they make there money, I dont know.

waqasahmed

I've always wondered how they can afford to sell stuff for 99p with free … I've always wondered how they can afford to sell stuff for 99p with free shipping.. It's even more mind boggling when you see stuff on a bidding basis sell for...6p... with free delivery or CAD 0.99 for buy it now (~54p) How they make there money, I dont know.

I've tried to look into this too.
It would cost me 74p to send similar items to you are we're in the same country! I came across the HK post office's rates once and they really are dirt cheap.
They use paypal micropayments rather than conventional accounts. 5% + 5p per transaction - so 10p per 99p transaction. They probably have eBay shops and pay approx 7-8% in fees. Another 7-8p gone
But they still need to pay for packaging materials, physically pack the goods, the goods themselves and a bit of profit.
It obviously yields some sort of profit because there've been millions of 99p transactions in recent years, but I'm not convinced there's much of a margin. The minimum wage in Beijing is £150/month and they have access to factory-direct pricing and cheap postage, which is how they can sell them so cheap.

Original Poster

DennisG

I've tried to look into this too.It would cost me 74p to send similar … I've tried to look into this too.It would cost me 74p to send similar items to you are we're in the same country! I came across the HK post office's rates once and they really are dirt cheap.They use paypal micropayments rather than conventional accounts. 5% + 5p per transaction - so 10p per 99p transaction. They probably have eBay shops and pay approx 7-8% in fees. Another 7-8p goneBut they still need to pay for packaging materials, physically pack the goods, the goods themselves and a bit of profit.It obviously yields some sort of profit because there've been millions of 99p transactions in recent years, but I'm not convinced there's much of a margin. The minimum wage in Beijing is £150/month and they have access to factory-direct pricing and cheap postage, which is how they can sell them so cheap.

Hmm minimum wage has probably got quite a lot to do with it. A shop called TomTop talked about the wages in China, when they sent their products out (Maybe to stop returns?? ) I feel somewhat conflicted with buying from there tbh, because on the one hand, you buy from there and the people get paid a pittance, but on the other hand if you buy from the UK, it's not like youre buying something made here. The company you purchased from also bought their stuff from China for the same price that it'd cost you (or maybe even less) and then there's the whole "Well if they weren't employed in this, they'd probably be on the streets" thing..

Also not every one in the UK has a whole lot of money either. I dont have a whole lot, but Im going to be realistic and say for a student, Im definitely not poor by student standards, so Ill buy fair trade bananas if I can, but you cant really do that with products like these. Surprised there's no fair trade program for things like this... Any way, that was a huge tangent

It's all relative. I'm sure they're not paid well by local standards, but are at least bringing in some money.
I'm sure the workers in Amazon and Sports Direct distribution centres (which have both been subject to undercover dispatches/panorama investigations) can sympathise with them - they earn minimum wage, have no rights and have tough targets or face the chop.
I can't imagine these eBay shops need many employees and *hope* that in a smaller operation, they get treated with a bit more respect and dignity.

I'm pretty sure that the minimum price is whatever you want it to be...i bought something on there for 1p a few times and a hdmi cable for 54p

Original Poster

DennisG

It's all relative. I'm sure they're not paid well by local standards, but … It's all relative. I'm sure they're not paid well by local standards, but are at least bringing in some money.I'm sure the workers in Amazon and Sports Direct distribution centres (which have both been subject to undercover dispatches/panorama investigations) can sympathise with them - they earn minimum wage, have no rights and have tough targets or face the chop.I can't imagine these eBay shops need many employees and *hope* that in a smaller operation, they get treated with a bit more respect and dignity.

See that's where Id say "it depends" I've been to Pakistan and it's crazy how expensive stuff is over there, but people think it's going to be cheaper. I cant remember what the petrol prices were in the UK at the time, but I seem to remember their petrol prices being the same price as...France, and electricity cost around 10p/kWH. Cheaper than the UK, yes, but that's about as expensive as a lot of places in Europe

Clothes were ridiculously more expensive. Lentils (produce of Pakistan) were cheaper in the UK than Pakistan (My assumption is that companies here can afford to buy loads more to sell for a cheaper price)

And tis true about Amazon workers. Apparently theyre treated like ****. You effectively dont have a break. You're on a timer. If youre late two times, you get fired.. Youre essentially not allowed to be ill. It's all nice and cosy if you're a manager, but there's very few managers there. It's great in the professional roles. Their data centres are pretty top class. My issue of course with that is that they're in Dublin and also the culture of the entire company is a bit..iffy

This being said, I did work for a courier company last year and there was a notable difference in culture between office workers and the truck drivers. Not in a bad way. Just a culture difference.

I thought that perhaps they all go to the same factories? Or maybe not, I dont know.. Basically, bottom line is, with jobs like this, or in the West, with jobs for "unskilled" workers, youre going to get treated like ****. I hear the supermarkets arent too bad though! (Or fast food chains for that matter!)

Thanks for sharing this info OP.

Transformers

Thanks for sharing this info OP.

It is astonishing TF I have bought a couple of things recently
they have flown half way round the world and with me in a week all for 60p

Comment

Mikeygolfgt

I'm pretty sure that the minimum price is whatever you want it to be...i … I'm pretty sure that the minimum price is whatever you want it to be...i bought something on there for 1p a few times and a hdmi cable for 54p

Minimum price of a buy it now item is £0.99 fact.

thewongwing101

It is astonishing TF I have bought a couple of things recentlythey have … It is astonishing TF I have bought a couple of things recentlythey have flown half way round the world and with me in a week all for 60p

Haha! I bought a couple of keyrings last month from Hong Kong all between 1p and 6p. Amazing stuff

Banned

Still has a ebay logo
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants