Groups

Use the idle time on your computer to cure diseases!

Use the idle time on your computer (Windows, Mac, or Linux) to cure diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research. It's safe, secure, and easy.

Proteins@home-
    By joining [email protected], you will be part of a large-scale protein structure prediction project and help to advance an important area of science.By increasing our knowledge of proteins, you will contribute to a better understanding of many diseases and pathologies, and to progress in both medecine and technology.

biology.polytechnique.fr/pro…ome

[email protected] -
    [email protected] is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.

setiathome.berkeley.edu/

Basically use your PC's CPU while its idle to crunch thorugh the data that SETI have in their database. Also gives you a cool screensaver.

9 Comments

Original Poster

Clickable links:

[email protected]:
    setiathome.berkeley.edu/

[email protected]:
    biology.polytechnique.fr/pro…ome

Greetings.

For those that would prefer more "down to earth" scientific research there are many health related projects one can participate in.

I think a better understanding/treatment of cancer/Alzheimers/Parkinsons etc is more important than lil green men.

Anyway, takes your choice.

Example project links can be found ]HERE

That list is pretty outdated and by no means exhaustive------there are lots of other options to choose from.

Whatever you choose, it's worthy stuff. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

vaiopup;2418518

Greetings.For those that would prefer more "down to earth" scientific … Greetings.For those that would prefer more "down to earth" scientific research there are many health related projects one can participate in.I think a better understanding/treatment of cancer/Alzheimers/Parkinsons etc is more important than lil green men.Anyway, takes your choice.Example project links can be found ]HEREThat list is pretty outdated and by no means exhaustive------there are lots of other options to choose from.Whatever you choose, it's worthy stuff. :thumbsup:

Changed the title and edited the first post to reflect the other uses of BOINC and not only the use of finding little green men. :thumbsup:

Cool, it's all good........rep to ya!!!:)

You can do it on Playstation 3's as well. I've been doing it for a long time, seems worth it I guess.

i do the protein folding one to help to understand cancer. seems worthwhile.

what's the "study global warming" one? does it display graphs etc of the exact amount of global warming contributed by people using their PC's idle time to look into the effects of global warming?

Climate Prediction is kinda retrospective........working on weather patterns over the last century or so, analysing the results in order to better understand the changing patterns, and the human impact.

Oh and if a rig is sitting idle and soing nothing then yes, it is having a negative effect on the environment....but if it's crunching a project it isn't idle is it?

Original Poster

M$ should install this as default.

I disagree, should be a matter of choice.......and folk need to understand what they are doing.
    Would be nice to see it as an optional addon to the OS install though
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions