Use Three "All-in-One 25" PAYG add-on in MiFi/Dongle?

LocalFound 26th Apr 2017
Hi guys. I was just wondering if I can use a PAYG Three sim with the "All-in-one 25" add-on in a mifi device/dongle? This add-on has AYCE data so looking for some feedback from others if it works. I understand tethering is not allowed on Three PAYG add-ons. Also, any advice on alternatives would be highly appreciated. many thanks.
Community Updates
8 Comments
if tethering is not allowed then no, you definitely can't put it in a mifi dongle. Even my EE SIM that does allow tethering doesn't work in my mifi device. I have a Vodafone SIM that does allow this but it's a business line so that may be different
Original Poster
Thanks. So are you saying that only a DATA SIM will work in a dongle/mifi device? I ask this as there are quite a few phone SIM only deals that are better value Vs purely data sims.
I was under the impression that you could insert the sim in a standard phone and make it a wifi hotspot for up to 30Gb? So just using a phone instead of the mifi?
Original Poster
stec77

I was under the impression that you could insert the sim in a standard … I was under the impression that you could insert the sim in a standard phone and make it a wifi hotspot for up to 30Gb? So just using a phone instead of the mifi?

I think that is true for pay monthly customers. If using add-ons on PAYG, you are not allowed to tether (at least that's what the PAYG price guide says)...
JohnnyZee

Thanks. So are you saying that only a DATA SIM will work in a dongle/mifi … Thanks. So are you saying that only a DATA SIM will work in a dongle/mifi device? I ask this as there are quite a few phone SIM only deals that are better value Vs purely data sims.

The reason they don't allow tethering is *because* they're cheaper and it allows them to control the level of traffic on the network - it's much harder to use a load of data on your phone than on a MiFi that constantly broadcasts for multiple devices (though of course you could always hotspot if your account allows tethering).

Historically Three are quite tough on those who try to use a normal phone SIM in a MiFi.
Interloper

You cannot use tethering on PAYG or AYCE with … You cannot use tethering on PAYG or AYCE with 3:http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.dll/,/?New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=CaseDoc,Case=Obj(3536)

Rubbish, of course you can. You do not seem to understand the difference between a written term and reality..
JohnnyZee

Hi guys. I was just wondering if I can use a PAYG Three sim with the … Hi guys. I was just wondering if I can use a PAYG Three sim with the "All-in-one 25" add-on in a mifi device/dongle? ...any advice on alternatives would be highly appreciated. many thanks.

Yeah, I'm late to the party, but I come with gift: yes, it is completely possible to tether on 3 PAYG AIO25 AYCE. Simply use the 3 sim in a non-3-branded or non-3-VMNO-branded unlocked device where that device can either be a mifi or an Android handset having the FoxFi app and key installed. Job done. There may be the occasional handset compatability issue with FoxFi, but typically even a low-cost non-3-branded Android handset can put to use as a wifi hotspot.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants