Use up your spare change! No effort No percentage lost. Supermarket self-service checkouts. 1p, 2p, 5p, 10p

Found 30th Jan 2012
Bit of an obscure deal this one, but im always seeing people:

throwing away coppers (waste of money)
using the commission based machines that take a % (waste of money again)
sorting them into bags to take to the bank (waste of time)
counting up the exact change in pennies (looking like a crazy fool)

But what lots of people dont realise is that most self service checkouts as supermarkets let you dump a load of pennies as payment, and as far as im aware there isnt a limit to how many you can use.

Fill your boots!
Or unfill them as it were.
Community Updates
Misc
17 Comments
What a load of rubbish! You are an actual ****

but im always seeing people throwing away coppers

Where? let me know and I'll go grab a couple of bag fulls
I use self service checkouts when I need to empty my purse of change
I like to throw them at the homeless.
Ungreat

I like to throw them at the homeless.

lol throw them im sure they are still grateful!
thanks OP
i save my 2p's for when we go on holiday so kids can put them in machines at the arcades
the ones with the belt driven change machine is best otherrwise you have to put each coin in individually......

other half once put about £40 in change in for £20 of shopping, got notes back instead of shrapnel!
ive got about £800 in small change in a bin

i dont want to pay the 17% charge in those cash sorting machines.

should i just deal with it?
Ah, the joys of being the person behind you, thinking that the self service tills would be quicker.
No effort they barely work when you use 1 or 2 coins. With a bagful you would be lucky to get out that day and would be forever refeeding them in until the jam occurs.
I've done this a couple of times, empty all the shrapnel from my purse before using notes or card.
I've done this a couple of times. Not with exsessive amounts though and the machines did get their own back. I was once lumbered with about a pound worth of 5p coins from a sainsburys till. Was quite annoying.
joe999

ive got about £800 in small change in a bini dont want to pay the 17% … ive got about £800 in small change in a bini dont want to pay the 17% charge in those cash sorting machines.should i just deal with it?

The bank do a deal where if you bag the coins up they will give you paper money.
This is a bloody good thread. I've had about 20 quid of shrapnel on the bookshelf for a few month now, tesco's is gonna get a visit!

Cheers
I would like to add my two pence worth.
nice idea! way to bump up a year and half thread!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants