Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Use wired speakers for PC

Posted 11th Nov
Anyone can advise if i can use Hi-fi speakers (with the speaker wire connection) for my home pc and what adapters i may require? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
You will need some sort of amp
You mean normal "Hi-Fi" speakers, yes? Wouldn't they need an amp? Therefore, why not just run your PC into an Aux input of a stereo amp. I sometimes run my laptop through my Hi-Fi via the headphone socket "out" on the laptop - to the "Line In" on the amp. All you need is a "Y" cable, which is a 3.5mm phono plug to L & R (red and white usually) phono plugs.

I just pulled this example straight off "Google" results:
scan.co.uk/pro…le)
38956914-iheeF.jpg

This is one way you could achieve what you're trying to do. Hopefully others can offer you some different methods.

All the best, Phsy.
Completely possible but the max volume would be comparatively low. Assuming the PC has standard three-pole 3.5mm jack socket and your indication of "speaker wire connection" means screw / clamp terminals on the speakers, you'd need a corresponding in-line 3.5mm three-pole (stereo) jack plug to bare end cables, which is likely difficult to find, but...
as it's non-amplified low power you could probably re-purpose another cable such as a headphone lead or similar, ideally with visibly two electrically separate cables in physical figure-8 format. Random example in optional lengths: ebay.co.uk/itm…606 . Simply (?) cut off each RCA connector, then for each of the two cut cables: trim the ends to expose sufficient isolated metal wire to suit the speaker screw / clamp terminals. This sort of wire is typically very thin and may break easily. Only attempt this suggestion if you are confident of both your dexterity and basic electrical understanding.
Thanks all
Phsycronix11/11/2019 12:26

You mean normal "Hi-Fi" speakers, yes? Wouldn't they need an amp? …You mean normal "Hi-Fi" speakers, yes? Wouldn't they need an amp? Therefore, why not just run your PC into an Aux input of a stereo amp. I sometimes run my laptop through my Hi-Fi via the headphone socket "out" on the laptop - to the "Line In" on the amp. All you need is a "Y" cable, which is a 3.5mm phono plug to L & R (red and white usually) phono plugs.I just pulled this example straight off "Google" results:https://www.scan.co.uk/products/1m-stagg-proaudio-cable-35mm-trs-stereo-jack-(male)-to-2x-rca-phono-(male)[Image] This is one way you could achieve what you're trying to do. Hopefully others can offer you some different methods.All the best, Phsy.

AndyRoyd11/11/2019 13:08

Completely possible but the max volume would be comparatively low. …Completely possible but the max volume would be comparatively low. Assuming the PC has standard three-pole 3.5mm jack socket and your indication of "speaker wire connection" means screw / clamp terminals on the speakers, you'd need a corresponding in-line 3.5mm three-pole (stereo) jack plug to bare end cables, which is likely difficult to find, but...as it's non-amplified low power you could probably re-purpose another cable such as a headphone lead or similar, ideally with visibly two electrically separate cables in physical figure-8 format. Random example in optional lengths: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222658590606 . Simply (?) cut off each RCA connector, then for each of the two cut cables: trim the ends to expose sufficient isolated metal wire to suit the speaker screw / clamp terminals. This sort of wire is typically very thin and may break easily. Only attempt this suggestion if you are confident of both your dexterity and basic electrical understanding.

Thanks for your advise guys, but if the sound is going to be very low without an amp then maybe not a good idea to connect like this. I'll have to invest in a basic amp.
abusaleh11/11/2019 15:28

Thanks all Thanks for your advise guys, but if the sound is going to be …Thanks all Thanks for your advise guys, but if the sound is going to be very low without an amp then maybe not a good idea to connect like this. I'll have to invest in a basic amp.

When I say "amp" I do just mean a Hi-Fi though. You could; depending on the result you want; go to any charity shop or the like and buy a small Hi-Fi unit - with a connection at the back for "Line in" or "Aux in" and you can achieve the same result. Obviously, the bigger the system, the more powerful the amp - and therefore max volume but unless you want to knock down the walls, any Hi-Fi would do.

What I'm saying is, you don't have to buy a 'dedicated' stereo amp for this to work. ANY stereo with an "aux in" connection (red & white) will do. You're sure you don't have a stereo already? What did your speakers fit?
abusaleh11/11/2019 15:28

Thanks all Thanks for your advise guys, but if the sound is going to be …Thanks all Thanks for your advise guys, but if the sound is going to be very low without an amp then maybe not a good idea to connect like this. I'll have to invest in a basic amp.

Hi-fi speakers is a rather vague as others have said.

You'd get low volume if the speakers are fairly large, don't have their own power connection and your PC has a fairly low power output. For example a headphone port on a laptop is going to be weaker than a dedicated sound card on a desktop.

If the speakers have their own power connection then it's a non-issue, while if they're smaller speakers like you might find on a Micro hi-fi they're going to need less power and will be louder at the same volume.
Just buy a cheap sound bar that's all I use
If you mean wired directly? check your monitor for an audio output, normally a monitor has an output for speakers rather than headphones, I wouldn't even bother running speakers on the headphone out if they're not amped.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions