Used car bought head gasket gone

Found 15th Nov 2017
Got a car of shpok and checked it over ect ,next day found oil in the water tank , as came out and head gasket has gone so it’s a write off basically.got it off shpok and paid by bank transfer ,contacted seller I know his address ect .is there anyway to get any money back ect where do I stand

Cost me £800

Feel sick
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Original Poster
Ok just got in contact with the guy after 4 missed calls ,and would you believe he’s just give me the money back no problem

He was very sorry it had happened

What a gent

Next car from
Gargae

Thanks for everyone’s input
17 Comments
Really you stand no where, used cars you don't really have any come back if they aren't a proper dealer? If they knew about the problem then it's very underhanded but the buyer should check it all over, take it for a drive etc that they are happy before parting with any cash.
You have no recourse.

Private sale

Trust me, I've been there.

Took me 2 years to bin their address details & stop plotting what I was going to do you them

Very depressing time emotionally & financially
Edited by: "Gollywood" 15th Nov 2017
On the positive side , couldn't you change the head gasket and get the cylinder head skimmed ?

Done it many times to my cars in the past . At least get a quote for doing it from an independent garage if you don't want to try it yourself .
On the receipt did the seller write Sold as Seen?
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 15th Nov 2017
Judge rinder, make sure you have receipt.
Edited by: "MR1123" 15th Nov 2017
Gutted for you but buying a 2nd hand car its buyer beware and down to you to get it checked out before parting with any cash, best you could hope for is the seller giving you some cash back towards the cost of repairs out of goodwill but legally i would imagine you don't have a leg to stand on.
Original Poster
Ok just got in contact with the guy after 4 missed calls ,and would you believe he’s just give me the money back no problem

He was very sorry it had happened

What a gent

Next car from
Gargae

Thanks for everyone’s input
That was so lucky. But how nice to know there are genuine sellers out there
ashmac2 m ago

Ok just got in contact with the guy after 4 missed calls ,and would you …Ok just got in contact with the guy after 4 missed calls ,and would you believe he’s just give me the money back no problem He was very sorry it had happened What a gent Next car fromGargae Thanks for everyone’s input

Absolute shocker. My jaw is hitting the floor.
People who claim that you're better off with a used car dealer are nuts.

You buy a car with a £1000 problem for £3000 from a dealer.

You buy a car with a £1000 problem for £1000 from a private seller.

The dealer will give you the run-around, and eventually you MIGHT get it fixed, but it's cost you £3000.

The private seller will not fix it, but you're £2000 better off, and £1000 better off after you fix it.
championadam1 h, 9 m ago

People who claim that you're better off with a used car dealer are …People who claim that you're better off with a used car dealer are nuts.You buy a car with a £1000 problem for £3000 from a dealer.You buy a car with a £1000 problem for £1000 from a private seller.The dealer will give you the run-around, and eventually you MIGHT get it fixed, but it's cost you £3000.The private seller will not fix it, but you're £2000 better off, and £1000 better off after you fix it.

it's never a 200% mark up don't be absurd

usually more like ~30-50%

so your £1000 car would be somewhere between £1300-£1500 at a dealer. it's easy for a used car to have £300-£500 worth of problems
adamspencer9531 m ago

it's never a 200% mark up don't be absurdusually more like ~30-50% so your …it's never a 200% mark up don't be absurdusually more like ~30-50% so your £1000 car would be somewhere between £1300-£1500 at a dealer. it's easy for a used car to have £300-£500 worth of problems

That is certainly not the market here. Admittedly I'm talking about small to medium dealerships; I would imagine the margins on those huge used car lots are smaller.

I don't think you'll struggle to find a £1000 car on Autotrader listed at £3000.

I have been buying and selling and maintaining bangers for years, so I have a fair idea when it comes to cheap cars!
ashmac2 h, 56 m ago

Ok just got in contact with the guy after 4 missed calls ,and would you …Ok just got in contact with the guy after 4 missed calls ,and would you believe he’s just give me the money back no problem He was very sorry it had happened What a gent Next car fromGargae Thanks for everyone’s input

Hi, keep in mind that a used car warranty from a garage or car dealer is still very hard to claim on, it's not just a case of ringing up the garage and asking when they can repair it, they will tell you to go through the warranty at which point the warranty company will do the best at trying to put down your claim as wear and tear, and not covered, also with most used car warranty they will make you pay the bill first and then claim your money back. Then you have to hope they will agree to the full amount.

If you want a true car warranty but you are on a budget I would seriously think about going for a brand new dacia at £5995 otr, thats trouble free motoring for 3 years, yes it is only got a 1.0 litre engine but it is more powerful and economical that the previous 1.2 litre engine, also the power to weight ratio is very good as these cars only weigh around 900kg, test drive one you will be surprised how nice they are to drive.
32444191-0j5pC.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 15th Nov 2017
POWYSWALES13 m ago

https://www.dacia.co.uk/vehicles/our-range/sandero/specifications.html.

Have you got shares in Dacia?. They offer great value admittedly.
Original Poster
Got a focus today haha see how that goes 55 plate ,just had mot last week passed no advisory ,got it from small local garage

Hope it goes well
Gollywood15th Nov

You have no recourse.Private saleTrust me, I've been there.Took me 2 years …You have no recourse.Private saleTrust me, I've been there.Took me 2 years to bin their address details & stop plotting what I was going to do you them Very depressing time emotionally & financially

You should have taken them to the small claims court - that's what they are there for.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions