Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Used car inspection - Click Mechanic

Posted 5th Oct
Morning all,

I am buying a used car (11 years old). Very tempted to get a used car inspection done as the MOT isn't that long. Had a look at this site...

clickmechanic.com/boo…ion

And they appear competitively priced (£90) for a standard inspection. Has anybody used them before? Or a similar service? Had a look at trust pilot and the reviews look ok.

Thanks,

James
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

38 Comments
Is that for the Premium check?
Gollywood05/10/2019 07:38

Is that for the Premium check?

Standard I think. Premium is £128.
mechanicalman05/10/2019 08:06

Standard I think. Premium is £128.

The standard inspection is really not worth it. I know little about cars and could do most of that.

The Premium seems more comprehensive esp for an 11 year old vehicle. But not cheap.

Previous suggestions have been hire a local mechanic you might know/trust and take him to do an inspection. A lot cheaper than £128
Issue is the car is 1hr30 away, so I don't know anybody around there.
A lot of people will be amused at the thread & the irony of your username. Trouble with paying for this check is that because it's a 11 year old car , the cost of the check is a significant portion of the cars value. Go onto this site and check it's mot history. If there were any advisory notes from last mot. Re brake discs, tyres. Than these will need to be done
Finally it's a buyer's market & so the haggling power is very much in your hands. Insist if you were to purchase the car would they be willing to put a new mot on it.
If they refuse, than obviously they know it's going to be an expensive mot.
Cost of the mot test is relatively cheap & most sellers would put a new mot prior to selling it. Obviously if they are aware it's going to fail it's mot & fail in an expensive manner, than they would be inclined to sell it without a fresh not.
deleted1410297
Dont buy a car with a short mot, save £128
I use this site to get car details & history for starters

cartaxcheck.co.uk/
Whats the car? Have you researched common issues? checked mot history? gov.uk/che…ory

For £128 I'd be booking it in for an mot or service and asking for comments, but the reality is that an 11 yr old car is going to have things wrong with it. might need suspension work/brakes/etc.
This would be one of the times that a kwikfit mot makes sense.

Getting it up on ramps so that the underside can be checked would be a good start.
Edited by: "mas99" 5th Oct
I personally would never pay to have a check done. There are so many things you can do yourself and it doesn't require extensive knowledge or experience.

I have a document containing a list of things I always check when going to look at a car. It has some useful tips I've picked up from various places including HUKD.
The list has never failed me and those I have helped with car buying have gone on to enjoy long lasting relationships with their cars.

I'm happy to email that to you if you want.
notalwaysright1905/10/2019 14:48

I personally would never pay to have a check done. There are so many …I personally would never pay to have a check done. There are so many things you can do yourself and it doesn't require extensive knowledge or experience. I have a document containing a list of things I always check when going to look at a car. It has some useful tips I've picked up from various places including HUKD. The list has never failed me and those I have helped with car buying have gone on to enjoy long lasting relationships with their cars.I'm happy to email that to you if you want.

Thanks for the offer. To be honest I know a reasonable amount about cars, and you guys are quite right that you can spot most issues with a good look. What concerns me is the emissions. The government tightened the criteria for diesel cars last year and I don't believe you can work out if it's going to pass just by looking at what comes out the exhaust. After having a think I messaged the owner and said I wasn't interested unless it had a years MOT on it. Thanks for all the advice. Confirmed my thoughts.
Edited by: "mechanicalman" 5th Oct
Short MoT? An MoT that you would have to fund in 2 / 3 / 4 months(?) time will cost you say £30+ just for the test. Agree your price with the seller if the car has 12m MoT, then offer to pay an additional £30 on top of that price when the seller has obtained the new MoT cert. Everyone is a winner if the car has no or only minor issues. But you lose your short MoT price-reduction haggle point.
Join AA or free if you have a bank account reward card and pay them £35 to inspect it
notalwaysright1905/10/2019 14:48

I personally would never pay to have a check done. There are so many …I personally would never pay to have a check done. There are so many things you can do yourself and it doesn't require extensive knowledge or experience. I have a document containing a list of things I always check when going to look at a car. It has some useful tips I've picked up from various places including HUKD. The list has never failed me and those I have helped with car buying have gone on to enjoy long lasting relationships with their cars.I'm happy to email that to you if you want.

Hi I wouldn't mind the list
ashmac05/10/2019 18:39

Join AA or free if you have a bank account reward card and pay them £35 to …Join AA or free if you have a bank account reward card and pay them £35 to inspect it

£35? How do you get it for that price? It says "from £128" on their website (members price).
cliosport6505/10/2019 22:40

Hi I wouldn't mind the list

It's nothing special.
Just basic checks we do when looking at cars but these checks have never failed us.

PM me your email address and I'll send it.
What car is it? Have you got a link.
What's the craic if you pay the £128 get there and the cars a dog, do they refund?
I'm pretty good with cars if you ever need advice think I've had about 50 over the years
Think people above have mentioned the basics you'll need to check, also service history.
An app I use is Vehicle Smart, tells you all the old MoTs and what was advised or failed and is free
Toon_army06/10/2019 04:49

What car is it? Have you got a link.What's the craic if you pay the £128 …What car is it? Have you got a link.What's the craic if you pay the £128 get there and the cars a dog, do they refund?I'm pretty good with cars if you ever need advice think I've had about 50 over the years XDThink people above have mentioned the basics you'll need to check, also service history.An app I use is Vehicle Smart, tells you all the old MoTs and what was advised or failed and is free

Here it is...

autotrader.co.uk/cla…d=ssoc3

I have had a look atthe old MOT's and they all look good. Just can't understand why you wouldn't pay the £40 and get a fresh 12 months on it.
mechanicalman06/10/2019 07:50

Here it …Here it is...http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910012812139?atmobcid=ssoc3I have had a look atthe old MOT's and they all look good. Just can't understand why you wouldn't pay the £40 and get a fresh 12 months on it.

It is £55 for the MOT -0.01p.

Edit: Just looking at the link. They've done another 12,000 sine the MOT, and as of today could get it done as it only has a month left. Yes, agree seems strange unless they know something!

22 photos but none of the engine/bonnet up?
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 6th Oct
mechanicalman06/10/2019 07:50

Here it …Here it is...http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910012812139?atmobcid=ssoc3I have had a look atthe old MOT's and they all look good. Just can't understand why you wouldn't pay the £40 and get a fresh 12 months on it.

That's Ironic I've got the same car just a Type R version. I always do a YouTube video on all my cars and when I do this one, I think I'll get loads of hate
The rear view is shocking, I like to see out the back and with the stupid spoiler in the middle you can't see what cars behind you at all.
The heater cluster is a right paint in the arse as well, the way they've set it up.
That one looks really high spec, full leather heated seats, panoramic sunroof, parking sensors, sat nav, cruise control... really good spec for the money.
Yours will have a different suspension to mine and that's for the better, mines super stiff.

As the guy above said there's only 30 days left on the current MoT so can't see why the seller won't get it done! Have you ask them? You'll then have 13 months as it follows your 30 days remaining on.
Full service history is a good sign.
Honda are a really good reliable car you'll just have the usual wear and tear.
If they won't MoT it use that as some ammo to get a good chunk knocked off.

I'll happily sell you mine lol

38614488-VfPYs.jpg
Edited by: "Toon_army" 6th Oct
Toon_army06/10/2019 08:34

That's Ironic I've got the same car just a Type R version. I always do a …That's Ironic I've got the same car just a Type R version. I always do a YouTube video on all my cars and when I do this one, I think I'll get loads of hate The rear view is shocking, I like to see out the back and with the stupid spoiler in the middle you can't see what cars behind you at all.The heater cluster is a right paint in the arse as well, the way they've set it up.That one looks really high spec, full leather heated seats, panoramic sunroof, parking sensors, sat nav, cruise control... really good spec for the money.Yours will have a different suspension to mine and that's for the better, mines super stiff.As the guy above said there's only 30 days left on the current MoT so can't see why the seller won't get it done! Have you ask them? You'll then have 13 months as it follows your 30 days remaining on.Full service history is a good sign.Honda are a really good reliable car you'll just have the usual wear and tear. If they won't MoT it use that as some ammo to get a good chunk knocked off.I'll happily sell you mine lol[Image]

Yes I did ask, all they said was they wanted to sell it before the MOT was up. I asked if there was anything (that they knew of) that would cause a MOT failure, and they said no.
I can only think that..

A. They know they're is an issue and want to get rid of it. But they have been forthcoming about the A/C issue.
B. They don't appreciate the value of a full years MOT, and are looking to save £55.

It's frustrating because it's the spec I want. But some people won't be told.

As I said I am fairly confident I can spot most mechanical issues, it's the emissions side that gives me cause for concern.
mechanicalman06/10/2019 08:51

Yes I did ask, all they said was they wanted to sell it before the MOT was …Yes I did ask, all they said was they wanted to sell it before the MOT was up. I asked if there was anything (that they knew of) that would cause a MOT failure, and they said no. I can only think that..A. They know they're is an issue and want to get rid of it. But they have been forthcoming about the A/C issue.B. They don't appreciate the value of a full years MOT, and are looking to save £55. It's frustrating because it's the spec I want. But some people won't be told. As I said I am fairly confident I can spot most mechanical issues, it's the emissions side that gives me cause for concern.

If they won't arrange a MOT at your expense walk away.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 6th Oct
mechanicalman06/10/2019 08:51

Yes I did ask, all they said was they wanted to sell it before the MOT was …Yes I did ask, all they said was they wanted to sell it before the MOT was up. I asked if there was anything (that they knew of) that would cause a MOT failure, and they said no. I can only think that..A. They know they're is an issue and want to get rid of it. But they have been forthcoming about the A/C issue.B. They don't appreciate the value of a full years MOT, and are looking to save £55. It's frustrating because it's the spec I want. But some people won't be told. As I said I am fairly confident I can spot most mechanical issues, it's the emissions side that gives me cause for concern.

Have you agreed on a price? If they won't MoT it like I say you're in a strong position to haggle big style. Not many people will buy a car with such a low MoT as it's a gamble.
My car was up for £5000 but managed to get it for £3800, it did need a good tidy up but I'm a detailer so did it all myself. It's a buyers market at the moment and even closer to Christmas means better bargains.
I'd just tell them straight, get an MoT done or I'm having it for a hell of a lot less, if they say no call their bluff and just wait for them to get back
Have you asked the buyer if he would mind you getting an inspection on it? Just ask him, he might say yes, he minds, in which case you've saved yourself from buying a lemon anyway.
It really is odd because if it passes the MOT with no issues/advisories then for £55 they could ask a higher price.

They could in a month's time be stuck with a car with no MOT. They've also got to renew the current tax on 1st November, although can get this back, SORN it, and possibly the insurance is due too.
Nice car.

I hope it goes well for you.

I've read the comments but not sure if you've suggested this: tell them you're happy to pay for the mot if it is a pass with no repairs required.
deleted1410297
Toon_army06/10/2019 08:34

That's Ironic I've got the same car just a Type R version. I always do a …That's Ironic I've got the same car just a Type R version. I always do a YouTube video on all my cars and when I do this one, I think I'll get loads of hate The rear view is shocking, I like to see out the back and with the stupid spoiler in the middle you can't see what cars behind you at all.The heater cluster is a right paint in the arse as well, the way they've set it up.That one looks really high spec, full leather heated seats, panoramic sunroof, parking sensors, sat nav, cruise control... really good spec for the money.Yours will have a different suspension to mine and that's for the better, mines super stiff.As the guy above said there's only 30 days left on the current MoT so can't see why the seller won't get it done! Have you ask them? You'll then have 13 months as it follows your 30 days remaining on.Full service history is a good sign.Honda are a really good reliable car you'll just have the usual wear and tear. If they won't MoT it use that as some ammo to get a good chunk knocked off.I'll happily sell you mine lol[Image]

FN2 Type R and 2.2 diesel are 2 different kettle of fish. I imagine OP doesn't want their back shattered by the stiffness of the FN2 and the 20 MPG. I have a Champ white type R, had it 5-6 months and now a bit bored by it. Sadly the market for these is crashing so not really a good time to sell.
deleted1410297
Considering its a civic, main things I'd look for is the suspension for leaks/track rod ends. Timing chain will be infallible with a good service history.
Thanks for all the comments. It's a nice change on here to have replies without some kind of abuse or sarcasm.

I have said I am not interested unless they get it MOT'd. We haven't reached an agreement on a price yet. The ad mentions that there is a leak in the AC system, which could be several hundred to rectify (I expect it's the radiator), so that is a good chunk off to begin with.

They have not responded to my request, so I guess they are being stubborn. I will leave it a week and then ask again. I can't see anybody buying it as it is unless they are in the trade. Let's see.
deleted141029706/10/2019 12:55

FN2 Type R and 2.2 diesel are 2 different kettle of fish. I imagine OP …FN2 Type R and 2.2 diesel are 2 different kettle of fish. I imagine OP doesn't want their back shattered by the stiffness of the FN2 and the 20 MPG. I have a Champ white type R, had it 5-6 months and now a bit bored by it. Sadly the market for these is crashing so not really a good time to sell.

Depending on what you paid with yours being white you'll have no problem selling it. Mines just turned 65k there so still low miles. I'll get my money back had it the same time as you 5-6 months. My mk3 Focus RS has stiffer suspension, I like a smooth ride so unsure what to get next
deleted1410297
Toon_army06/10/2019 13:28

Depending on what you paid with yours being white you'll have no problem …Depending on what you paid with yours being white you'll have no problem selling it. Mines just turned 65k there so still low miles. I'll get my money back had it the same time as you 5-6 months. My mk3 Focus RS has stiffer suspension, I like a smooth ride so unsure what to get next

I paid £6250 for mine at 89K miles. Low owners. 92-93K right now, as i hardly drive it. Did a lot fo work to it like new sachs absorbers/track rods/arb links etc. Now i fancy a s2000. Then im probably done with performance cars and will get something sensible. Luckily im not into those turbo/supercharged cars
deleted141029706/10/2019 15:47

I paid £6250 for mine at 89K miles. Low owners. 92-93K right now, as i …I paid £6250 for mine at 89K miles. Low owners. 92-93K right now, as i hardly drive it. Did a lot fo work to it like new sachs absorbers/track rods/arb links etc. Now i fancy a s2000. Then im probably done with performance cars and will get something sensible. Luckily im not into those turbo/supercharged cars

S2000 are slowly going up and up in value, I wanted one years ago but didn't get the chance.
I'm turbo mad, this Vtec just done nothing for me lol.
If you ever get bored search Craig's Video Channel on YouTube few of my old cars are on, bound to be one you like
deleted1410297
Toon_army06/10/2019 17:06

S2000 are slowly going up and up in value, I wanted one years ago but …S2000 are slowly going up and up in value, I wanted one years ago but didn't get the chance.I'm turbo mad, this Vtec just done nothing for me lol.If you ever get bored search Craig's Video Channel on YouTube few of my old cars are on, bound to be one you like

I never got into fast cars, i think S2000 suits me as its a nice looking car but i guess you cant daily one of those properly.
Toon_army06/10/2019 09:10

Have you agreed on a price? If they won't MoT it like I say you're in a …Have you agreed on a price? If they won't MoT it like I say you're in a strong position to haggle big style. Not many people will buy a car with such a low MoT as it's a gamble.My car was up for £5000 but managed to get it for £3800, it did need a good tidy up but I'm a detailer so did it all myself. It's a buyers market at the moment and even closer to Christmas means better bargains.I'd just tell them straight, get an MoT done or I'm having it for a hell of a lot less, if they say no call their bluff and just wait for them to get back

First things first, well done on todays result. Cost me ££ as I told my Man.U supporting mate at work I would buy cakes if they lost. Never been so pleased to spend money :-)
As you seam to have experience in haggling, can I ask how much you would pay for the car based on what you know (faulty air con)? Assuming they will not MOT it?
Secondly, what do you think the likelihood is of there being a serious issue? I can do a good mechanical check, so I am not so worried about that.
Normally I would look for something else, but that spec/leather combo is proving tricky to find.
mechanicalman06/10/2019 20:21

First things first, well done on todays result. Cost me ££ as I told my M …First things first, well done on todays result. Cost me ££ as I told my Man.U supporting mate at work I would buy cakes if they lost. Never been so pleased to spend money :-)As you seam to have experience in haggling, can I ask how much you would pay for the car based on what you know (faulty air con)? Assuming they will not MOT it?Secondly, what do you think the likelihood is of there being a serious issue? I can do a good mechanical check, so I am not so worried about that. Normally I would look for something else, but that spec/leather combo is proving tricky to find.

If you've got a laptop go into the autotrader site and click on the sell car bit, put that cars reg and miles in, it'll tell you how much it's worth, then you have an idea what you're working with price wise. While your on there click the next page after the value and it'll tell you how many previous owners and if it's a cat c/d n/s foe free. But if you're serious about buying you want a full HPi check to make sure nothing is owed, I know it's only a couple of grand but still not pocket change. Total car check is the one I use.
AC could be a simple fix, but then again an expensive one. My car doesn't even have AC and wouldn't bother me if it did or don't work, but I wouldn't tell them that, I'd play on it to my advantage saying it's something I need.
As long as the car starts, drives and stops that is a good sign. Tyres and brake pads you can check.
When it says full service history as if it's every 12 months, as I've seen so many cars over the year state FSH only to go threw the service book and see a gap for 3 or 4 years.
Just make them a cheeky insulting offer if you like, all they can do is say no, you're the one with the money
It appears to have gone from the Autotrader link?

Does it have a timing belt or chain? If a belt that could well need replacing together with the water pump so a few £000's.
JimboParrot07/10/2019 07:37

It appears to have gone from the Autotrader link?Does it have a timing …It appears to have gone from the Autotrader link?Does it have a timing belt or chain? If a belt that could well need replacing together with the water pump so a few £000's.

Yes looks like it sold, it wasn't to me unfortunately.

Civics have a chain thank god.
Edited by: "mechanicalman" 7th Oct
deleted1410297
there r a load of these civics around, you wont struggle to find a good one cheap. I see loads on gumtree/fb marketplace/ebay
deleted1410297
civinfo is a good place too for an enthusiast owned one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants