Used car problems

Found 7th Jul
I bought a 2008 Astra in April 2018 and it was advertised as having certain work done with receipts and was assured the car was machanicly sound Iv had a problem with the car and it has been looked at by a garage and they don’t believe any of the work I was told has actually been done, do i have any rights in this.
Community Updates
AskHome & Living
10 Comments
Mechanically sound may be difficult to (dis)prove but if qualified and credible automotive assessor is prepared to make professional statement that certain work is highly likely not to have been performed then there may be misrepresentation / fraud. Burden of proof on you to disprove receipted work, and any compensation realisation assumes seller has resources to pay.
A ten year old car mechanically sound? Your deluded, that’s highly unlikely that a car of that age is fully ok.
When you have a receipt with £750 worth of engine work done in January you expect it to be sound, not leaking oil after 2 weeks of owning the vehicle
robert.marshall56 m ago

When you have a receipt with £750 worth of engine work done in January you …When you have a receipt with £750 worth of engine work done in January you expect it to be sound, not leaking oil after 2 weeks of owning the vehicle

The joys of old cars I’m afraid
robert.marshall1 h, 3 m ago

When you have a receipt with £750 worth of engine work done in January you …When you have a receipt with £750 worth of engine work done in January you expect it to be sound, not leaking oil after 2 weeks of owning the vehicle

Depends on what work was done. Was the whole engine done for £750, I very much doubt it.
Did you buy it from a dealer - or a private seller ?
I can't see how a garage could dis prove that work wasn't done...
What kind of work does it state ? If it's things like the timing belt etc you couldn't tell unless you stripped it down.
Buying a used car is a gamble, even new cars can have there problems but at least you do have a manufacturer's warranty for the first few years. What milage has the astra done? You could well be finding out why the previous owner got shut. January was almost 7 months ago and if say the work in January was to change a water pump that has nothing to do with an oil leak several months later, also the oil leak could be a new fault and nothing to do with what was previously repaired.
Like above used cars are gamble.

I bought a citreon c1 few months ago. Had it a month and the central locking broke.
It messed the battery up + needed a new door lock.

Cost me £470 to get everything replaced.

Wasnt the car garages fault. I took it on the chin and paid for repair.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions