1. Tes Deals
Groups

Used car websites

Apart from Auto trader does anyone know of any good website for finding cheap cars? On google its bringing up all the usual main car dealers but they are still more than what I am wanting to pay as its for learning to drive.

Basically looking for a Automatic up to a 1.6 engine and within 40 miles of lichfield and as its for learning to drive I want to pay between £400 and £700.

Thanks in advance

11 Comments

Local papers, shop adverts, local small dealers at that price IMO

Auctions if you fancy a gamble.
    Edited by: "greg_68" 16th Feb 2011

Original Poster

greg_68

Local papers, shop adverts, local small dealers at that price IMOAuctions … Local papers, shop adverts, local small dealers at that price IMOAuctions if you fancy a gamble.

Don't tend to get any that cheap in our local papers, tempted by ebay.... just a bit wary as obviously I know nothing about cars

Shellywelly

Don't tend to get any that cheap in our local papers, tempted by ebay.... … Don't tend to get any that cheap in our local papers, tempted by ebay.... just a bit wary as obviously I know nothing about cars

no difference in ebay to any other private seller though, just do all the same checks and go and see it before you buy. I'd get someone to help if you really know nothing as it will more than likely end in disaster.

All of above... bought and sold loads of cars on ebay over the years. It's just as much of a gamble as buying a car in your local area that you've spotted in an advert, paper, etc. Best advice is as above, if you can, take someone with you that knows what to look for. With the budget you have, then you can expect maybe a little bit of maintenance etc normally.

But, usual place I check first is ebay to see what's around. It'll give you a better idea as to what you can get for your money.

Original Poster

Thanks i'll keep stalking out ebay then, want something quickly as my job changes in a few weeks and will have to commute driving instructor said that I will be ready in a couple of weeks to go for my test.

We've bought and sold cars on Ebay and never had a problem (maybe just lucky) OH actually bought a £5000 Freelander without even seeing it as it was a distance away so we ended up staying in a B&B over night good excuse for a weekend away X)

What kind of budget are you on and what kind of car are you after ?

I didnt read the full post sorry.

Is there any reason your going for automatic ? and also have you considered the insurance for a first year driver in a 1.6 car?
    Edited by: "DannyM" 16th Feb 2011

Original Poster

DannyM

What kind of budget are you on and what kind of car are you after ? I … What kind of budget are you on and what kind of car are you after ? I didnt read the full post sorry. Is there any reason your going for automatic ? and also have you considered the insurance for a first year driver in a 1.6 car?

Yeah as I am learning automatic, I am learning as a necessity rather than choice, have had lessons in manual hated it and have no need to learn manual as will only be to get me to work and back.

Looked into the insurance, I said up to a 1.6, would prefer a 1.0 or similar, the insurance isn't too bad for me as I am a old driver!

gumtree and ebay

try pistonheads.... i hear that is almost as good as autotrader
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891111
      2. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2950
      3. Sad news about Barcelona24103
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?24106

See more discussions