Expired

Used ipad insurance?

Found 15th Dec 2013
Hi guys,

I have a used ipad I bought from Gumtree which came without a receipt which I was going to give to one of the kids for Christmas. I was looking to get some insurance on it, but haven't been able to find a single company out there who will pay out without providing proof pf purchase. Does anybody know of an insurance company that insures ipads without proof of purchase in the event of a claim? It's an ipad 2 3g if that makes a difference.

Thanks for any help.

9 Comments

I won a Samsung galaxy s3 and had exactly the same problem.

Still don't have insurance on it
( I tried protect my bubble etc)

good luck though

Original Poster

Thanks dom123dud.

I think I may have to just wing it. Having a trawl on Google suggests that people were claiming for ipads they have never actually owned, hence they now require proof of purchase in the my name or someone with the same surname as me according to my insurance company (Tesco). If the receipt is in somebody else's name then they require the receipt plus a signed letter from them indicating why the names are different! I guess there's too many people out there which don't have the integrity I have! Disappointing from my point of view.

Personally I think the insurance companies would find it hard to refuse a claim on an iPad which you bought online, a copy of the advert would suffice, but I think half the issue here is that you are using the companies like protect your bubble, even if you did have a receipt they would be hard to get a claim out of, just like mobile phone insurance the terms are unachievable. Put the iPad under your home insurance, that will protect you.

Banned

aircanman

Personally I think the insurance companies would find it hard to refuse a … Personally I think the insurance companies would find it hard to refuse a claim on an iPad which you bought online, a copy of the advert would suffice, but I think half the issue here is that you are using the companies like protect your bubble, even if you did have a receipt they would be hard to get a claim out of, just like mobile phone insurance the terms are unachievable. Put the iPad under your home insurance, that will protect you.

unfortunately most insurance company's won't accept an advert as proof of purchase, this is because anyone can advertise an item online. I fell foul of this clause.

aircanman

Personally I think the insurance companies would find it hard to refuse a … Personally I think the insurance companies would find it hard to refuse a claim on an iPad which you bought online, a copy of the advert would suffice, but I think half the issue here is that you are using the companies like protect your bubble, even if you did have a receipt they would be hard to get a claim out of, just like mobile phone insurance the terms are unachievable. Put the iPad under your home insurance, that will protect you.

Buying online you get an email with receipt also the company you bought it from will have records so you can back up your claim.

Original Poster

onepinkbit, thanks for your message, but I bought it from an individual on Gumtree, not a business, so unfortunately that wouldn't work.

d19mes, thanks for the message.
I think I'll just have to claim on the house insurance if it comes up. Sorry that you found out the hard way.

Chouman

onepinkbit, thanks for your message, but I bought it from an individual … onepinkbit, thanks for your message, but I bought it from an individual on Gumtree, not a business, so unfortunately that wouldn't work.d19mes, thanks for the message. I think I'll just have to claim on the house insurance if it comes up. Sorry that you found out the hard way.

I am all for a bit of paranoia, but just enjoy the iPad! Think of the excess if you did need to claim, that's half the value before you even get paid out.

It would have to go under your house insurance, and yep aircanman is right with the excess, you'd have to pay first it would sting a bit. I personally would make sure the child knows it's not a disposable item and to be careful. If they break it they wouldn't just get another, or they'd have to pay to get it fixed.
Edited by: "Purps" 15th Dec 2013

Original Poster

Spot on. I am paranoid, but my son is autistic and manages well with most things, but he is prone to a meltdown from time-to-time, and also isn't always the best at putting things away securely. I have a feeling that this may end up on the edge of a table or on the floor to be knocked/stood on.

I did buy second hand to minimise the cost, and reduce the pain if it did go wrong, but like you say, paranoia is always there.

To be honest, I doubt I would make any claims, but would attempt a repair myself, but I was really more intrigues to know what the cost would be and whether it would be viable to buy insurance.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions