Used iPhone buying guide

Posted 2nd Jan
Hi guys

Going to buy a second hand iPhone 11.

What checks do I need to carry out to safeguard against hidden faults?
and how can I check its not stolen?

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Buy from cex or the like you get a guarantee, and the cost of second hand you may as well get new..
Don’t buy privately. If you absolutely must. Then do not buy any that were supplied as part of a contract. Ask for proof of purchase and check it is bought sim free from say Apple or John Lewis.
If the seller hits you with any waffle, walk away. If the price is low, it’s a con. If the price is market rate, you’ll find another offer.

Basically buy from a store or recycling company. That way you can buy with a credit card and also get a warranty.
Don’t do it.

That’s my advice!
Oneday7702/01/2020 22:30

Don’t buy privately. If you absolutely must. Then do not buy any that were …Don’t buy privately. If you absolutely must. Then do not buy any that were supplied as part of a contract. Ask for proof of purchase and check it is bought sim free from say Apple or John Lewis. If the seller hits you with any waffle, walk away. If the price is low, it’s a con. If the price is market rate, you’ll find another offer. Basically buy from a store or recycling company. That way you can buy with a credit card and also get a warranty.

Oohhh
I imagine most of the phones on shpock and gumtree are ex-contract.
Why should I stay away from contract phones?
I would go through paypal for purchases.
Mubs02/01/2020 22:47

OohhhI imagine most of the phones on shpock and gumtree are …OohhhI imagine most of the phones on shpock and gumtree are ex-contract.Why should I stay away from contract phones?I would go through paypal for purchases.

People buy on contract, sell he handset then stop paying the contract or report it stolen. You end up with a blocked phone.
I would never buy on gumtree, I think eBay may have better protection.
aircanman02/01/2020 23:09

I would never buy on gumtree, I think eBay may have better protection.

No better on eBay
Wasn’t there a check you could do on the apple website with the serial number or imei which would tell you contract, warranty etc etc
Leonjj03/01/2020 10:02

Wasn’t there a check you could do on the apple website with the serial n …Wasn’t there a check you could do on the apple website with the serial number or imei which would tell you contract, warranty etc etc

checkcoverage.apple.com/gb/…de0
Get a phone case on it once you've got it. I know that's an after thought but saved mine loads when dropping. Nothing worse than forking out loads of pounds and then dropping the dam thing :-(
I've got a clear one from squeakyclear.co.uk
Whenever I buy a second hand iPhone I always make sure the iCloud account is logged out and using the IMEI number check to see if it’s reported lost/stolen. I’m hesitant to buy a newer phones though because they can be at any time reported lost/stolen to insurers and they will get a new phone and mine would get blocked.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions