Useful Info For Cycle2Work (better bikes than halfords)

Found 27th Feb 2012
I'm sure lots of you have this scheme available where you basically buy a bike tax free out of your pre-tax earnings so it hardly costs you a penny. Anyway like many companies, my firm only allows you to take part in the scheme through Halfords. I was finding it really difficult to choose a bike through them with the maximum my company allows on the scheme (£500).

So I was reading through the terms and conditions, and it mentions that you can have other brand bikes that Halfords themselves don't sell and to ring for details. With me being a bit of a bike snob I was straight in touch with them and these are the brands they can supply:

Kona
GT
Cannondale
Cube
Willier
Scott
Ridgeback
Genesis
Orbea
Claud Butler
Mongoose
Orange
Felt
Specialized
Giant
Charge
Whyte
Marin
Trek
Montague
Concept
Merida
Focus
Saracen
Moda
Dahon
Raleigh

Basically they can get you any of these bikes as long as the RRP falls into the price of the C2W voucher you have applied for and the bike will be delivered to your local Halfords for collection. Hope this helps some of you, and now you don't have to choose some nasty Halfords bike like all the saps at work.
Community Updates
21 Comments
Lucky you, my company won't do this scheme despite loads of people asking for it!
mine usesd the "cyclescheme" rather than C2W .. you're not restricted to Halfords. it uses mainly independant cycle stroes so you get better prices for the bikes you want - last eyar i bought a Claude Butler San Remo not sure whther i'm going to just keep the one i got last year or get another one?
Not all halfords bikes are rubbish, just saying, my local bike shop & I'm sure many others are alot worse.
Original Poster
unquestioned

Not all halfords bikes are rubbish, just saying, my local bike shop & I'm … Not all halfords bikes are rubbish, just saying, my local bike shop & I'm sure many others are alot worse.

Yeah I know, it's just nice to have choice to buy a bike from a Brand you know/trust. For the £500 voucher I got I could only choose a Voodoo or a Carrera hardtail, neither of which I wanted. I have ordered instead a Cube Aim Disc, which I am really happy with

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Original/73087.jpg
I have a Carrerra Krakken bought rough the scheme, its a brilliant bike.
http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/images/ProductImages/fullsize/Bikes/Cube/12CubePelotonRace.jpg

C2W £590 all in everything paid, rrp £999, 105 and Ultegra kit, latest 10 speed rear, better than anything Halfords could offer

In my kitchen now, warm and dry commutes only, or sportives I forget which.
Edited by: "mjr600" 28th Feb 2012
http://www.all-about-the-home.co.uk/ekmps/shops/squealypig/images/claud-butler-san-remo-2011-road-bike-fully-assembled-5707-p.jpg
what i got last year
also sitting in my basement as it's too wet to commute to work ( 27 miles ew )
Banned
Should have bought a Kraken.....everything on it would have been higher spec than the cube.
Can anyone recommend a good hybrid? Any make really, and think our place can give up to a grand.

Thanks for letting me know about this OP as I'd have been none-the-wiser.
Banned
Read a few posts on here or post your own question on bikeradar.....lots of good advice given on all bike related matters....

bikeradar.com/for…c=3
Edited by: "slamdunkin" 28th Feb 2012
Original Poster
slamdunkin

Should have bought a Kraken.....everything on it would have been higher … Should have bought a Kraken.....everything on it would have been higher spec than the cube.

I was about too until I realised I could have other makes, plus I know it's sad but I'm a bit too much of a bike snob to ride a carrera (_;)
Banned
But anyone who knows a bit about MTB knows you ride a £300 bike with a £200 transfer slapped on it.
Original Poster
slamdunkin

But anyone who knows a bit about MTB knows you ride a £300 bike with an … But anyone who knows a bit about MTB knows you ride a £300 bike with an expensive sticker slapped on it.

My choice, I'm happy, simple
Original Poster
Tractorboyo

Can anyone recommend a good hybrid? Any make really, and think our place … Can anyone recommend a good hybrid? Any make really, and think our place can give up to a grand.Thanks for letting me know about this OP as I'd have been none-the-wiser.

Couple of possibles to get you started.

Cannondale Quick SL2
Whyte Stirling
Kona Dr Fine

we use cyclescheme, which don't cover Halfords, the savings are around 33%.

Edited by: "greg_68" 28th Feb 2012
greg_68

we use cyclesheme, which don't cover Halfords, the savings are around 33%.

think our works is the same
Adidas Addict

Couple of possibles to get you started.Cannondale Quick SL2Whyte … Couple of possibles to get you started.Cannondale Quick SL2Whyte StirlingKona Dr Fine

Thanks for searching for me, I particularly like the Kona one purely from an aesthetics point of view.

Incidentally, did you just ring a local Halfords store to find out about this or is there another number to call?
Original Poster
Tractorboyo

Thanks for searching for me, I particularly like the Kona one purely from … Thanks for searching for me, I particularly like the Kona one purely from an aesthetics point of view.Incidentally, did you just ring a local Halfords store to find out about this or is there another number to call?

I applied for the scheme on the cycle2work website. Once my voucher was received and printed out then I rang the number to choose my 'non-halfords' bike, they order it there and then while you're on the phone and ask which Halford branch you want it delivering to.

Ask for this guy when you ring, he was really helpful.

Please call me here on 08450778850 so that I can confirm price and … Please call me here on 08450778850 so that I can confirm price and availability of these bikes.Kind RegardsRob FramptonHalfords c2w

Original Poster
Just collected my bike, really happy with it and the service. It turns out Leisure Lakes supplied it to Halfords under the agreement so it arrived ready assembled and set up by Leisure Lakes, including their new bike pack with a free multi-tool etc. Was in and out of halfords in 10 mins. The ride home was great, though I can tell my butt is gonna take a while to adjust to the seat.
You don't have to buy from Halfords if your company only use Halfords Cycle Scheme. There are many independent bike retailers that are on the scheme as well, such as Fulford Cycles in York (Ph: 01904 620349). Unfortunately, in my experience, the Halfords customer service call centre staff seem to "forget" to tell people of this option. I hope this helps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants