Usenet: easy to cancel the free trials?

Found 11th Jan 2012
now the microserver is setup im looking into the world of usenet.
Know how it works and how to setup and about nzbmatrix retention and all that jazz....

What i dont know is how it works on my connection or what benefits it would offer me as ive never actually used it properly apart from that little 1mb unlimited free thing.

so was gonna look at a free trial... are they easy to cancel?
Community Updates
40 Comments
I would go for payg on astraweb. Don't have to worry about card details and is relatively cheap
sancho1983

I would go for payg on astraweb. Don't have to worry about card details … I would go for payg on astraweb. Don't have to worry about card details and is relatively cheap

see thats the thing, i want to see if its actually worth it first with my connection speeds, to see what i constantly get ya know give it a go for a couple of days and see if it is for me rather than shelling out 7 quid or so and finding its rubbish... thats 2 and a bit pints!
What connection have you got?
You get access to a huge range of media for a low price, and you will be able to download as fast as your connection can handle. There's nothing more or less that a trial will tell you.
there's probably quite a few places offering free trials (with card details required)
e.g. newsdemon.com/ngr…php
and UseNext

don't know about ones which don't take card details though.
Toasthduk

What connection have you got?

According to speedtest about 2Mbps down.

oldmanhouse

there's probably quite a few places offering free trials (with card … there's probably quite a few places offering free trials (with card details required) e.g. http://www.newsdemon.com/ngr-usenet-trial.phpand UseNextdon't know about ones which don't take card details though.

Ive ssen a few with card, thats why i was wondering are thy easy to cancel :P

Oh... somthing i dont know... what difference does SSL make in the world of newsgroups?
Edited by: "Jetpac" 11th Jan 2012
Security

You will get maxed connection. 16 quid for 180gb, that's 18 blurays...
sancho1983

Security

as in how?
i know its security but what does that mean in terms of downloading stuff
I just thought it encrypted the data so no-one could see what you are downloading

But I'm sure someone who knows the actual answer will be along soon
hitnews, free 3 day unlimited trial, no card details required.
nzbmatrix, free to sign up but nzb are ltd to 20 days old until you pay the vip fee £7 and nzb are 1100 days +
SSL, have a look at this thread i posted about a deal and have look at some of the comments by babyface snoop only to get shot down by dga and csiman.
Your text here
Edited by: "boabbyrab" 12th Jan 2012
LOL @ that thread, BFS is an idiot and gets suspended more than he isn't

SSL encryption can't be hacked and has been hacked loads of times

Hahahahahahahaha
dga

Borrow my account for a few hours if you like Jetpack, I assure you that … Borrow my account for a few hours if you like Jetpack, I assure you that you won't go back to the alternatives 8)My box is going down for a bit so there's not much going on. Worst case, the server throws a too many connections/diff ip error for one client.There's 1 day services for free somewhere and your ISP usually offers some sort of NNTP service (be nice and download Linux disc images, I don't trust ISP what so ever, they can crack SSL/AES on the fly...tinfoil hats at the ready! oO)I can understand that there's a certain startup cost but just for trailing you can get away with a few things, just don't expect full automation to work like Sick/Couch.I've held a few hands through SAB so if you need some assistance I will do it via PM, I'm sure you understand. [Not to ASB, all the software is opensource/GPL/GNU/VAT free/organic so nothing wrong going on]

That would be very kind of you chap.
I'm really just after seeing what kind of speeds i get and how efficient the system works on my particular connection
dga

Well someone's happy anyway :)Can anyone suggest a cheaper than £7/month … Well someone's happy anyway :)Can anyone suggest a cheaper than £7/month service for Jetpac as his ADSL is a little limited in speeds, 2Mb or there about's will suffice.2Mb x 0.125 x 60s x 60m x 24h = 21,600MB* (20GB with best overheads) per day, so not a heavy user.* A bit over simplified I know

ta

Do you think it would be worth buying like a block 200gb? instead of a monthly subscription.

I dont download dvd rips, i meanly stick to ~200mb tv episodes and <1gb movies (compressed h.264)

newsdemon offer 200gb with ssl for £15.88
I worked out based on all of the hd tv shows I get and allowing for 1 or 2 720p films per month I was still better off going for the payg astraweb offer.

If you're only getting xvid movies and small tv shows then I would say blocks would be the way to go. If I was you I would try 200gb and see how long it lasts
Jetpac

ta :)Do you think it would be worth buying like a block 200gb? instead of … ta :)Do you think it would be worth buying like a block 200gb? instead of a monthly subscription.I dont download dvd rips, i meanly stick to ~200mb tv episodes and <1gb movies (compressed h.264)newsdemon offer 200gb with ssl for £15.88

yep - you'd be much better off block buying. Look out for newsgroupdirect offers. I paid £33 for 1TB which will last a good year or two.

tbh though, if you max out at 2mbps, then you might just as well use the free 1mbps one. Get a 200mb TV episode downloaded in 30 mins with that still.
csiman

yep - you'd be much better off block buying. Look out for newsgroupdirect … yep - you'd be much better off block buying. Look out for newsgroupdirect offers. I paid £33 for 1TB which will last a good year or two.tbh though, if you max out at 2mbps, then you might just as well use the free 1mbps one. Get a 200mb TV episode downloaded in 30 mins with that still.

i suppose. only has 400 days retention though, suppose its ok for new tv shows etc, however for whatever reason it only downloads at a quarter of the speed of using a paid the paid for source... could it be because it only allows 2 connections?
Edited by: "Jetpac" 13th Jan 2012
if ya dont want to try the FREE 3 day hitnews trial then try sunny usenet, tis cheap and reviews on da matrix are good.
Your text here
I've used NewsDemon for years. Think i pay £6-something for unlimited downloads, 20 connections and SSL. Maxes out my VM 30meg all day long
boabbyrab

if ya dont want to try the FREE 3 day hitnews trial then try sunny … if ya dont want to try the FREE 3 day hitnews trial then try sunny usenet, tis cheap and reviews on da matrix are good.Your text here

That looks pretty good, am i right in saying that it is around £1.50 a month or so for a 5mbit connection with 5 connections, unlim download and ssl?..... that would be sufficient for me wouldnt it?

as my internet connection is 2.07mbps (according to speedtest)
if so that seems like a better deal than 200gb for £14 with newsdemon maybe?

it works out as £7-8 for a 6 month subscription on the lowest package: sunnyusenet.com/sun…y-5
it is in dutch so open it in chrome :P

Edited by: "Jetpac" 13th Jan 2012
I have my drives plugged into a computer with a direct access to the Universities 1gbps fibre connection X).

I personally use newshosting but the speed might be overkill given your connection.
just been doing some reading on nzbmatrix forms and it seems a lot of people use a subscription with a block account... why?
dga

Just like me in work (liv.ac.uk) and Giganews maxes out at ~20MB/sec X) … Just like me in work (liv.ac.uk) and Giganews maxes out at ~20MB/sec X) If SSL is bogging down your system try Stunnel, it's one SSL link to the NGP using the standard SSL port and you tunnel all your non-SSL NNTP connections through it. Works out better for network and CPU overheads at both ends. The efficiency of pySSL libraries is questionable to me, I can't believe the CPU hit you take for it.

I actually think it's the limitations of USB transfer speeds (They allocate next to zilch of local HDD space) which is bogging down the downloads as the Network department where I'm downloading from is not firewalled as the rest of the University is.

I had to get pally with the Network admin though X).

Where I'm struggling with is downloading from other areas from the network. I'm not sure what sort of **** voodoo firewall port setup is on the Uni network but I absolutely cannot get a connection to my NewsHosting account from say, the Library (Which running speed test shows 14MByte/s down! - Must...take...advantage).

SSL isnt doing it for me, I run a netscan via command prompt and the connection simply isnt going outbound i.e. past the firewall.

Got any ideas? Standard FTP downloads via my Seedbox is fine which is what I'm forced to do currently.

Edit: It's possible the actual Newshosting IP is blacklisted?
Edited by: "Shadow-360" 13th Jan 2012
Jetpac

just been doing some reading on nzbmatrix forms and it seems a lot of … just been doing some reading on nzbmatrix forms and it seems a lot of people use a subscription with a block account... why?

As dga says.

Also with a Block account you're not restricted to the 30 day timelimit so you can make use of that 160GB or whatever space for as long as you like.

Think of it as Pay as you go vs Monthly.
dga

Who wants to go time-share on an account, no dodgy-dodgy DLs (_;)Now that … Who wants to go time-share on an account, no dodgy-dodgy DLs (_;)Now that would be cheapskate X)

I might be game :{.
dga

Subscription permits you to use the API service which allows the … Subscription permits you to use the API service which allows the automation programs like Sick Beard and Couch Potato to interact with the Matrixes search engine. I think

so if i had a 200gb block account i wouldn't be able to automate? i thought i would be able to use automation as long as i had credit?
Jetpac

so if i had a 200gb block account i wouldn't be able to automate? i … so if i had a 200gb block account i wouldn't be able to automate? i thought i would be able to use automation as long as i had credit?

Ahh I think dga has it confused with an NZB subscription, which is what he's referring to here.

You would be able to automate I would have thought, but limited to 200GB worth of content. The above is referring to if you're not paying to go VIP with say NZBMatrix.
dga

Careful, scanning from an internal may get you blacklistited. Also some … Careful, scanning from an internal may get you blacklistited. Also some firewalls will block you by behaviour. Say ou start a scan and it's incremental, 1, 2, 3...110,111,112 etc, then you could be locked out for a period based upon activity. This will get you false negatives on many port scans. If you want to do these sorts of things, why not open a shell account elsewhere or join a CUG in the Uni, many neck beards in there though. NGPs will usually accept SSL on 80, 81 & 443 which in effect if no different to secure web browsing. After running a portscan via nmap on a HighWinds reseller I went with both 8080 and 5000 (no SSL because I'm the IT version of Chuck Norris)

They're all fairly incompetent monkeys Imho but yeah I guess I've been a tad on the lucky side re downloads.

Hmm, makes sense. It is certainly incremental on the scans if memory serves correct so I assume that is the most likely scenario here, doh. That being said, everything else is fine on my end.

Will look into a Shell account. I'm fairly numb to neck beards being in the Soft Eng field myself (Not to worry, I haven't been infiltrated yet).

Stunnel also seems promising, will give that a shot when I'm back in next week and keep you posted.
dga

Oh, USB RAID. Just a thought. What about booting from a live Linux distro … Oh, USB RAID. Just a thought. What about booting from a live Linux distro from USB? Is the network connection superglued in?

Connections are hardwired but not a clue if there's anything special on the OS side of things with regards to Network Config.

Though that is certainly an angle I haven't tried yet. Any Distros you recommend?
Not at all, It's perfectly legible English as far as I'm concerned (Bordering on Tamarin in some parts which is where trusty ol Google or Wolfram comes in).

I can just imagine it, the lone computer on the network chugging away running Ubuntu. Talk about a massive Neon sign saying 'Look here, illegal h4x0rz'.

How does Backtrack work on the network. Spoofs OS or some other voodoo?

Networking isnt my forte, I much rather C++ X)
dga

Just like me in work (liv.ac.uk) and Giganews maxes out at ~20MB/sec X) … Just like me in work (liv.ac.uk) and Giganews maxes out at ~20MB/sec X) If SSL is bogging down your system try Stunnel, it's one SSL link to the NGP using the standard SSL port and you tunnel all your non-SSL NNTP connections through it. Works out better for network and CPU overheads at both ends. The efficiency of pySSL libraries is questionable to me, I can't believe the CPU hit you take for it.

Ngp
Nntp
Pyssl

Don't get me started on the rest of your posts!

Shadow-360

Not at all, It's perfectly legible English as far as I'm concerned … Not at all, It's perfectly legible English as far as I'm concerned (Bordering on Tamarin in some parts which is where trusty ol Google or Wolfram comes in).I can just imagine it, the lone computer on the network chugging away running Ubuntu. Talk about a massive Neon sign saying 'Look here, illegal h4x0rz'.How does Backtrack work on the network. Spoofs OS or some other voodoo?Networking isnt my forte, I much rather C++ X)

Welcome to Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed … Welcome to Backtrack-Linux.org, home of the highest rated and acclaimed Linux security distribution to date. BackTrack is a Linux-based penetration testing arsenal that aids security professionals in the ability to perform assessments in a purely native environment dedicated to hacking. Regardless if you’re making BackTrack you Install BackTrack, boot it from a Live DVD or thumbdrive, the penetration distribution has been customized down to every package, kernel configuration, script and patch solely for the purpose of the penetration tester.BackTrack 5 R1 Released! Aug 18th, 2011 Best viewed in full screen ! BackTrack is intended for all audiences from the most savvy security professionals to early newcomers to the information security field. BackTrack promotes a quick and easy way to find and update the largest database of security tools collection to-date. Our community of users range from skilled penetration testers in the information security field, government entities, information technology, security enthusiasts, and individuals new to the security community.Feedback from all industries and skill levels allows us to truly develop a solution that is tailored towards everyone and far exceeds anything ever developed both commercially and freely available. The project is funded by Offensive Security. Whether you’re hacking wireless, exploiting servers, performing a web application assessment, learning, or social-engineering a client, BackTrack is the one-stop-shop for all of your security needs.

Cheers mate. You've piqued my interest.

Will take a look at the Stunnel solution in the next week or so then play around with Distros.
sancho1983

NgpNntpPysslDon't get me started on the rest of your posts!

NGP - Not a clue, I'm assuming News Group something given the context of the post.

NNTP - Protocol which Usenet articles are transferred via.

pySSL - The 'py' gives it away. Python scripts pertaining to the handling of SSL traffic.

^_^

Edited by: "Shadow-360" 13th Jan 2012

ASCII, Binary Transfer System, Libraries, YEnc...

I don't do it on purpose you know!

Sure you don't X).
Jetpac

just been doing some reading on nzbmatrix forms and it seems a lot of … just been doing some reading on nzbmatrix forms and it seems a lot of people use a subscription with a block account... why?

as a back up server, when d/l are incomplete on say astraweb, the backup d/l the missing files.
sancho1983

Hahahahahahahaha

That thread is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. BFS had to be trolling...
master_chief

That thread is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. BFS … That thread is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. BFS had to be trolling...

Never underestimate the stupidity of man.

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level.

Edited by: "boabbyrab" 13th Jan 2012
master_chief

That thread is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. BFS had … That thread is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. BFS had to be trolling...

nah he's just stupid
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants