Expired

Using 5.1 Speakers With a 7.2 AV Reciever?

Found 3rd Sep 2014
Hi, A Question For Audio-Buffs? I am quite new to purchasing AV Separates as the past and opted for an All-In-One Cinema Solution, however I am thinking of purchasing the 7.2 Yamaha RX-V675 and have already purchased some JBL Home Cinema 5.1 Speakers... My Question Is.... will using a 5.1 Setup affect the Sound Quality in anyway? or would I be better purchasing a dedicated 5.1 AV Receiver? I shall NEVER use a 7.2 setup... but due to some great deals on 7.2 Amps... its seems a better deal... Any Help would be appreciated thanks
Community Updates
AskSpeakerAV Receiver
17 Comments
Don't let the maximum speakers put you off an AV. 7.2 just means it can handle that amount, it doesn't affect 5.1 performance.
And in the future if you decide to add another subwoofer or 2 more speakers, you're able to
What they^ said.

I have Denon unit, it has multiple setups, the manual is 200+ pages! If only it made my dinner too! Enjoy the unit, hope it enhances your enjoyment of whatever you view/listen to.

I shall NEVER use a 7.2 setup

That's what I said... Now looking to replace my 5.1 amp with either a 7.2 or 9.2 one!! Upgraded the speakers in readiness so just need to but the extra ones when ready :-)

But as the peeps said above you'll be fine.
The RX-V675 will automatically remap 7.1 input to 5.1 output. While this isn't as good as having discreet rear surrounds it's not bad. Just remember to set your surrounds as side surround and not rear surrounds.
Most of this is done through menu systems now so it will be a lot easier. Remember to set your speakers to small, this passes more bass to the subwoofer and should give you deeper and better bass as most speakers suck badly <60Hz bass.
Thanks for all your great comments, I have gone ahead and purchased the Yamaha RX-V675 from Richer Sounds for £249, seemed a great deal for a BRAND NEW item, It was a toss between the Yamaha RX-V675 and an older RARE model Yamaha RX-V500D (with DAB Tuner) specs very similar, but the new Yamaha supports dialogue lift... I purchased decent speaker cabling to... all with Banana Plugs which was another issue but this FANTASTIC tip solved that. looking forward to the amp been delivered.

FANTASTIC TIP FOR CABLES WITH BANANA PLUGS

Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 3rd Sep 2014
lettherebedeals

Thanks for all your great comments, I have gone ahead and purchased the … Thanks for all your great comments, I have gone ahead and purchased the Yamaha RX-V675 from Richer Sounds for £249, seemed a great deal for a BRAND NEW item, It was a toss between the Yamaha RX-V675 and an older RARE model Yamaha RX-V500D (with DAB Tuner) specs very similar, but the new Yamaha supports dialogue lift... I purchased decent speaker cabling to... all with Banana Plugs which was another issue but this FANTASTIC tip solved that. look forward to the amp been delivered. FANTASTIC TIP FOR CABLES WITH BANANA PLUGS

I'll be honest, I saw your post and that link and thought what a load of **** that'll be... How WRONG was I! I've been using those binding posts for years and never knew they might be able to do that! I know what i'll be doing when I get home tonight.

Thanks for that video, very impressed.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 3rd Sep 2014
ipswich78

I'll be honest, I saw your post and that link and thought what a load of … I'll be honest, I saw your post and that link and thought what a load of **** that'll be... How WRONG was I! I've been using those binding posts for years and never new they might be able to do that! I know what i'll be doing when I get home tonight.Thanks for that video, very impressed.

Yes I was very impressed to.... and according to the Guy at Richer Sounds, it works on most amps that have these little lugs inside
lettherebedeals

Yes I was very impressed to.... and according to the Guy at Richer … Yes I was very impressed to.... and according to the Guy at Richer Sounds, it works on most amps that have these little lugs inside

Those pieces of plastic are in there as banana plugs aren't really permitted in this country.
They aren't put in US models for example.
Banana plugs are just to make it easier to connect and disconnect speakers without shorting the amp. You don't really need them but they make life a lot easier I thought rev6 was joking but it turns out people in Europe love plugging banana plugs into mains outlets oO

audiokarma.org/for…097
Edited by: "kester76" 3rd Sep 2014
rev6

Those pieces of plastic are in there as banana plugs aren't really … Those pieces of plastic are in there as banana plugs aren't really permitted in this country.They aren't put in US models for example.

Banana plugs aren't permitted in this country?? Why not?
LOL why on earth people in Europe would want to plug Banana Plugs into Mains Outlet is beyond me, I think Banana Plugs make things so much tidier & neater with no stray wires and seems by using them, its so much easier to connect the amp, and some high-end speakers cables come with Banana Plugs Attached, and if they are meant to be illegal, then why on earth does nearly every Electrical European Manufacturer sell them...

Here is a question.... what would happen if you strip some speaker cables and started poking the bare wire into a mains unit?

Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 3rd Sep 2014
ipswich78

Banana plugs aren't permitted in this country?? Why not?

People were putting them in the mains.

lettherebedeals

LOL why on earth people in Europe would want to plug Banana Plugs into … LOL why on earth people in Europe would want to plug Banana Plugs into Mains Outlet is beyond me, I think Banana Plugs make things so much tidier & neater with no stray wires and seems by using them, its so much easier to connect the amp, and some high-end speakers cables come with Banana Plugs Attached, and if they are meant to be illegal, then why on earth does nearly every Electrical European Manufacturer sell them...Here is a question.... what would happen if you strip some speaker cables and started poking the bare wire into a mains unit?

Idiots huh. Least we can still use them.
lettherebedeals

LOL why on earth people in Europe would want to plug Banana Plugs into … LOL why on earth people in Europe would want to plug Banana Plugs into Mains Outlet is beyond me, I think Banana Plugs make things so much tidier & neater with no stray wires and seems by using them, its so much easier to connect the amp, and some high-end speakers cables come with Banana Plugs Attached, and if they are meant to be illegal, then why on earth does nearly every Electrical European Manufacturer sell them...Here is a question.... what would happen if you strip some speaker cables and started poking the bare wire into a mains unit?

KABOOM!
rev6

People were putting them in the mains.Idiots huh. Least we can still use … People were putting them in the mains.Idiots huh. Least we can still use them.

Really? Sticking them in the mains? Oh dear.
Hey anyone tried the Banana Plug Tip as shown in the video and if so much success? My Yamaha Amp as been delivered I am ready to set it all up in a day or so, another question for all you AV Buffs and anyone using YAMAHA Amps WIFI Capability? and if so has anyone found a cheap compatible wireless adapter instead of purchasing the official Yamaha WIFI Adapter which is a small fortune unless you buy it from the US and even then it works out around £60 which postage on top... There is no chance I could hard-wire the receiver as the router is 1 floor down, surely there MUST be a compatible WIFI adapter that works on Yamaha AV Receivers to and NOT just Denon, reading forums NETGEAR WIFI adapters work perfect with Denon Amps.. but I cannot found any info on people using such adapters with Yamaha Receivers.

Anyone tried or got one and if so what make?
Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 4th Sep 2014
lettherebedeals

Hey anyone tried the Banana Plug Tip as shown in the video and if so much … Hey anyone tried the Banana Plug Tip as shown in the video and if so much success? My Yamaha Amp as been delivered I am ready to set it all up in a day or so, another question for all you AV Buffs and anyone using YAMAHA Amps WIFI Capability? and if so has anyone found a cheap compatible wireless adapter instead of purchasing the official Yamaha WIFI Adapter which is a small fortune unless you buy it from the US and even then it works out around £60 which postage on top... There is no chance I could hard-wire the receiver as the router is 1 floor down, surely there MUST be a compatible WIFI adapter that works on Yamaha AV Receivers to and NOT just Denon, reading forums NETGEAR WIFI adapters work perfect with Denon Amps.. but I cannot found any info on people using such adapters with Yamaha Receivers. Anyone tried or got one and if so what make?

Use Powerline adaptors to extend your home network then you can plug it straight in for about £30 all in. Something like this: hotukdeals.com/dea…053
lettherebedeals

Hey anyone tried the Banana Plug Tip as shown in the video and if so much … Hey anyone tried the Banana Plug Tip as shown in the video and if so much success? My Yamaha Amp as been delivered I am ready to set it all up in a day or so, another question for all you AV Buffs and anyone using YAMAHA Amps WIFI Capability? and if so has anyone found a cheap compatible wireless adapter instead of purchasing the official Yamaha WIFI Adapter which is a small fortune unless you buy it from the US and even then it works out around £60 which postage on top... There is no chance I could hard-wire the receiver as the router is 1 floor down, surely there MUST be a compatible WIFI adapter that works on Yamaha AV Receivers to and NOT just Denon, reading forums NETGEAR WIFI adapters work perfect with Denon Amps.. but I cannot found any info on people using such adapters with Yamaha Receivers. Anyone tried or got one and if so what make?

I used a screwdriver to pull out the plastic things on my AV.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions