Groups

Using a HDD Dock instead of an Enclosure.

I was wondering whether there are any drawbacks to connecting a HDD to a dock and then using that as an external drive. My reason for wanting to choose this setup is that rather than buying several external Hard drives over a number of years, I could just buy a dock and purchase as many internal 1tb drives. That way, I save a lot of money and it cuts down on storage for all the external hard drives. My current main purpose for these drives would be to connect to my WDTV media player and for backing up files.

So....

Are there any drawbacks? I'm aware it won't have much of an issue about heating up, but I was wondering that given the fact that the HDDs aren't enclosed, aren't they are bound to be a lot louder during operation?

4 Comments

The only concern for me would be where to keep the bare drives when not in the dock.
    Say you have 1 dock and 4 drives - where/how do you keep the 3 un-docked bare drives so they are safe and protected?

I use a dock and the one thing you'll notice is how damn hot a HDD gets!!!! You only make the mistake of trying to pull a hot drive from the dock once!

Original Poster

Q-Tec;6682549

I use a dock and the one thing you'll notice is how damn hot a HDD … I use a dock and the one thing you'll notice is how damn hot a HDD gets!!!! You only make the mistake of trying to pull a hot drive from the dock once!

That was one of my initial concerns. I plan on buying the WD Caviar Green drives which, according to some charts, have an OK temperature.

dcx_badass;6682705

You can store them in this:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.25631

Thanks! Will definately be buying that!

dcx_badass;6682705

You can store them in this:But it's not really recommended to use a dock … You can store them in this:But it's not really recommended to use a dock all the time, just because of static and things.

Is it only just the problem of static? Can it not be overcome?

I'd imagine your biggest problem will be the durability of the connectors, if you're going to be plugging it and unplugging it frequently then you risk breaking the SATA connectors on the drive - and you're in trouble then.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2631
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …139337
      3. Kirby Triple Deluxe, Luigi's Mansion & Super Mario 3D Land to join the 3DS …11
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17426157

See more discussions