Using a mobile in the car - the facts according to South wales police (DON'T)

18 Comments
I'm very sensible would never do this!
Hum.. I sometimes put phone in the back out the way.. Or in a bag zipped up. Its hard not to look but many of us have crossed the legal line on this and got away with it so far... Wish there was better car connection but its coming.. That should work better and be safer I think.. People do need access to a phone incase of accident or something... Good post though
Apple CarPlay has meant I never touch the phone in the car, I now touch the large lcd screen on the dashboard.
Best thing to do is put it on silent!
6 points and £200 fine and some drivers still aren't getting the message.

How many more innocent lives and accidents will it take until a real punishment is dished out?

There is no excuse for holding your mobile whilst driving/riding - fine should be £500 and 1 year ban for first offence, £2,000 + vehicle seized (and scrapped or sold on) + 10 year ban for 2nd offence and lifetime for 3rd offence because you are that stupid (same with DUI).

I ride a motorbike, my helmet has a bluetooth headset (£35) I can listen to music and if a call comes through (only happened once but then I'm not glued to my phone 24/7) I pull over and continue the conversation all happening whilst my mobile is tucked away in my jacket pocket - it's that simple.

And if you think my punishment is too severe go speak to family members who have lost loved ones because of someone using their mobile whilst driving
If I use apple maps & put the the phone down away from me is it legal?
philphil618 h, 28 m ago

6 points and £200 fine and some drivers still aren't getting the …6 points and £200 fine and some drivers still aren't getting the message.How many more innocent lives and accidents will it take until a real punishment is dished out?There is no excuse for holding your mobile whilst driving/riding - fine should be £500 and 1 year ban for first offence, £2,000 + vehicle seized (and scrapped or sold on) + 10 year ban for 2nd offence and lifetime for 3rd offence because you are that stupid (same with DUI).I ride a motorbike, my helmet has a bluetooth headset (£35) I can listen to music and if a call comes through (only happened once but then I'm not glued to my phone 24/7) I pull over and continue the conversation all happening whilst my mobile is tucked away in my jacket pocket - it's that simple.And if you think my punishment is too severe go speak to family members who have lost loved ones because of someone using their mobile whilst driving

What are your thoughts on touchscreen factory fitted satnavs / radios ? Are they illegal to use whilst driving?
philphil6111 h, 41 m ago

6 points and £200 fine and some drivers still aren't getting the …6 points and £200 fine and some drivers still aren't getting the message.How many more innocent lives and accidents will it take until a real punishment is dished out?There is no excuse for holding your mobile whilst driving/riding - fine should be £500 and 1 year ban for first offence, £2,000 + vehicle seized (and scrapped or sold on) + 10 year ban for 2nd offence and lifetime for 3rd offence because you are that stupid (same with DUI).I ride a motorbike, my helmet has a bluetooth headset (£35) I can listen to music and if a call comes through (only happened once but then I'm not glued to my phone 24/7) I pull over and continue the conversation all happening whilst my mobile is tucked away in my jacket pocket - it's that simple.And if you think my punishment is too severe go speak to family members who have lost loved ones because of someone using their mobile whilst driving

I can't believe people still use them when driving Phil. Seen a women this morning pull off from a primary school in heavy traffic,on the phone. Just before Christmas a bloke driving an artic turned left at an island & nearly run into the side of my van, he managed to just snatch the wheel back in time. Got no time for morons.
deleted5795929th Mar

They need to treat it in the same vein as drink driving, and issue instant …They need to treat it in the same vein as drink driving, and issue instant bans and even prison time, its just as reckless.. I got rear ended by a guy at the school last year, he was on his mobile, then 12 months before that a woman did it to me at the lights, again on her mobile, both denied it to me, told them i had dashcam in the rear window and gave footage to the police.. neither caused any damage to either car but the police were not interested at the time. I always remember Joe Mangel on Neighbours getting done for hitting someone because he was fiddling with his radio in his car lol.. but I expect the same thing applies here driving without due care etc...

Was Joe in his 'Ute'?
chocci3 h, 58 m ago

What are your thoughts on touchscreen factory fitted satnavs / radios ? …What are your thoughts on touchscreen factory fitted satnavs / radios ? Are they illegal to use whilst driving?

Anything that distracts your concentration whilst driving should be illegal

Satnavs should be set before moving off
Radios/music should be set before moving off

There is no excuse - if you are at work using machinery do you think your boss will be OK with letting you change radio stations or cd whilst you are operating that machinery? If you are at work using machinery do you think your boss will be OK with letting you change the plans/dimensions/settings whilst the machinery is in operation? The most likely answer would be no because it's dangerous and they wouldn't want to be held accountable
OldEnglish48 m ago

I can't believe people still use them when driving Phil. Seen a women this …I can't believe people still use them when driving Phil. Seen a women this morning pull off from a primary school in heavy traffic,on the phone. Just before Christmas a bloke driving an artic turned left at an island & nearly run into the side of my van, he managed to just snatch the wheel back in time. Got no time for morons.

And even when you have video evidence most police forces will not prosecute because they need to see the offence.
Yep clear footage of the person driving with phone in hand with number plate and time of day including as much footage before and after and they like and Notts police aren't interested.
S-36011 h, 46 m ago

If I use apple maps & put the the phone down away from me is it legal?

You must set the directions before moving off then place the phone/satnav in it's holder generally in your field of view. If you've started the engine and handbrake is released and you hold the device in your hand you are breaking the law. I'm guessing if you touch the device whilst it's in the holder whilst you are driving then potentially you are breaking the law.
philphil6129 m ago

Anything that distracts your concentration whilst driving should be illegal

Does my other half go to jail for distracting me or do I for being distracted?
CoeK24 m ago

Does my other half go to jail for distracting me or do I for being …Does my other half go to jail for distracting me or do I for being distracted?

I feel sorry for your other half - how/why does she/he/they (trying to be politically correct here) put up with you is the bigger question

But yes if someone in your vehicle is distracting you whilst driving then it is your (the driver) responsibility to make it stop - that said we all know who wears the trousers in your house
philphil6115 m ago

I feel sorry for your other half - how/why does she/he/they (trying to be …I feel sorry for your other half - how/why does she/he/they (trying to be politically correct here) put up with you is the bigger questionBut yes if someone in your vehicle is distracting you whilst driving then it is your (the driver) responsibility to make it stop - that said we all know who wears the trousers in your house

Please be respectful and courteous to fellow members, phil'. Everyone from alpha males to submissive partners deserve equal regard.
philphil6118 m ago

I feel sorry for your other half - how/why does she/he/they (trying to be …I feel sorry for your other half - how/why does she/he/they (trying to be politically correct here) put up with you is the bigger questionBut yes if someone in your vehicle is distracting you whilst driving then it is your (the driver) responsibility to make it stop - that said we all know who wears the trousers in your house

I feel somehow like you failed at being politically correct...
I don’t need to look I just listen put on full volume & leave the phone to door holder
It seems quite often when riding a motorbike that the person who decides to merge into you (without indicating) is on their mobile phone, then generally oblivious as to why you are upset or straight couldn't care less They almost ran you off the road.
Edited by: "catbeans" 29th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants