Using a multimeter for resistance?

Posted 20th May
I don't know much about using a multimeter, but I'm trying to fix my washing machine, and the Youtube video says to set to the lowest Ohm setting.

When I go to test the resistance it's jumping all over the place. Anyone know if this is expected if the thing I'm testing is knackered? Or am I not using the multimeter properly?
I'm using a UNI-T UT30 with the Ohm setting at 200.
Community Updates
Ask
2 Comments
A persistently fluctuating reading for an (assumed) continuity check often implies poor contact between the test probes and the item being tested, especially if there is no fluctuation when the test probes are connected exclusively to themselves as a check.
If the probe-to-item contact is sound and there is still fluctuation this implies there is some circuitry within the item being tested that is impacting the reading, although without knowing the nature of test, the component being tested or the expected result it is difficult to offer specific advice.
AndyRoyd20/05/2020 15:01

A persistently fluctuating reading for an (assumed) continuity check …A persistently fluctuating reading for an (assumed) continuity check often implies poor contact between the test probes and the item being tested, especially if there is no fluctuation when the test probes are connected exclusively to themselves as a check.If the probe-to-item contact is sound and there is still fluctuation this implies there is some circuitry within the item being tested that is impacting the reading, although without knowing the nature of test, the component being tested or the expected result it is difficult to offer specific advice.

Thanks Andy!
I have now checked by hooking the testing points securely on the connectors and got a consistent reading.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions