Using Alexa for emergency CPR.

Posted 8th Jan
Just saw this post on Facebook. Something worth telling everyone in the family about.
3384168.jpg
Apparently when you say 'Alexa activate emergency CPR' it tells you to dial 999 then takes you through CPR, and even gives the best for the compressions.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

12 Comments
Yep, er indoors were looking at it last night. Good eh
I have to agree.

Compressions can save a life. Even if you break ribs it's better than no compressions.

Thanks op and programmers.
Is this AI deciding the next helpful steps after Alexa was programmed to intervene if it heard arguments over Xmas ?

Lord only knows what you will find in your suggestions box next time you shop.
Not suggesting this replaced first aid training, but certainly be of some use if you are on your own trying to aid someone - can't hold phone and do compressions at the same time.
Ringfinger08/01/2020 13:39

Not suggesting this replaced first aid training, but certainly be of some …Not suggesting this replaced first aid training, but certainly be of some use if you are on your own trying to aid someone - can't hold phone and do compressions at the same time.

Thanks for sharing wasn’t aware of this.

As you said really useful so you can call the emergency services and do compression at the same time.
Yeah. Very good use of the tech.
Absolutely useless, great you can do CPR but no one is coming to help
millie199110/01/2020 05:31

Absolutely useless, great you can do CPR but no one is coming to help

Well I guess you've never had to do it then. First thing, phone 999 like Alexa says. I had to do CPR waiting for an ambulance. I had a new phone I'd only had a few weeks and I didn't know where the speaker was. I had to try and do CPR , listening to the instructions and timings from the operator while trying to hold the phone to my ear to hear what they were saying.It took 17 minutes for the first responder to arrive. Ever tried doing CPR for 17 minutes? It's hard hard work. Try doing it when you can't really hear what the operator is saying. Believe me, unless you've had to do it, you've no idea. In my situation it would probably have made no difference but in another it might save a life.
It is great that if it saves lives
But it should also put you through to the operator at the same time.
The problem is
The first phrase is not very clear about calling 999
Read this from northern Ireland ambulance service
NIAS
belfastlive.co.uk/new…723
millie199110/01/2020 08:04

It is great that if it saves livesBut it should also put you through to …It is great that if it saves livesBut it should also put you through to the operator at the same time.The problem isThe first phrase is not very clear about calling 999Read this from northern Ireland ambulance serviceNIAShttps://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/cpr-post-potentially-misleading-says-17524723

So it's gone from absolutely useless to great in a matter of minutes? If you've ever been in that situation believe me your first thought Iis to phone 999. I'm not saying Alexa will save thousands of lives but it you need to give CPR, believe me it is very hard with a phone clamped to your ear.
psychobitchfromhell10/01/2020 08:11

So it's gone from absolutely useless to great in a matter of minutes? If …So it's gone from absolutely useless to great in a matter of minutes? If you've ever been in that situation believe me your first thought Iis to phone 999. I'm not saying Alexa will save thousands of lives but it you need to give CPR, believe me it is very hard with a phone clamped to your ear.

On its own it is absolutely useless.
The problem is people panic and don't think straight in these situations. Someone could die because of this.
With the addition of calling 999 at the same time it will be perfect
millie199110/01/2020 08:15

On its own it is absolutely useless.The problem is people panic and don't …On its own it is absolutely useless.The problem is people panic and don't think straight in these situations. Someone could die because of this.With the addition of calling 999 at the same time it will be perfect

that is the first thing it says to do. I've been there, worn the t shirt and everything. Your first reaction is to phone 999. Believe me it is. They will talk you through everything but trying to perform CPR when you have a phone clamped to your ear is incredibly difficult. Once more, you're going to have to take my word on this. This is a useful tool but believe me, if you see someone go into cardiac arrest, your first thought is 999 not I wonder if there is an app for this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions