Groups

Using an Epson printer with compatible cartridges?

Just wanted to make people aware that if their Mac or PC says there's a printer update available for their Epson, and they're using compatible cartridges, then DONT INSTALL IT.

I've had an Epson D92 printer and I've been using compatible cartridges for the past 2 years and it's worked fine. On Friday my Mac told me that it wanted to install a printer update and I let it do it. Since then my compatible cartridges don't work and the printer keeps asking me to replace them.

Windows users may be offered a similar update via Windows Update. As far as I can tell this is due to the printer update, and there's no going back as it updates the printer itself.

I've emailed Consumable City who I get my compatible cartridges from to see if they know anything about this, and will post an update here when I find out more.

It could well be caused by something else, but I'd advise you not to take the risk until there's more info about it.

18 Comments

same problem, altho it tells me that i am using noncompatible cartriges and do i want to continue, I click yes and it lets me do it.

Original Poster

Sheep87;5107638

same problem, altho it tells me that i am using noncompatible cartriges … same problem, altho it tells me that i am using noncompatible cartriges and do i want to continue, I click yes and it lets me do it.

I get that message too, but as soon as I click continue it asks me to replace the cartridges again and won't print

MrBrightside1987;5107663

I get that message too, but as soon as I click continue it asks me to … I get that message too, but as soon as I click continue it asks me to replace the cartridges again and won't print

ah i dont get that. you could do a system restore to before you installed the update

Original Poster

Sheep87;5107671

ah i dont get that. you could do a system restore to before you … ah i dont get that. you could do a system restore to before you installed the update

Unfortunately not, I think it updated the printer itself. I tried connecting the printer to my Vista laptop which doesn't have the update, and I still get the same problem.

I'm pretty certain it's the update as it's too much coincidence for the printer to stop working after 2 years, just when I install the first ever update for it.

Banned

i know you probably gonna shout, but it couldnt be coinsidence that your cartridges actually need replacing

Original Poster

sassie;5107754

i know you probably gonna shout, but it couldnt be coinsidence that your … i know you probably gonna shout, but it couldnt be coinsidence that your cartridges actually need replacing

lol, nope, I only put them in a week ago, and only printed about 2 pages since then. Usually, when my cartridges need replacing, it's one at a time e.g black runs out quicker than others and gets replaced more frequently. This time it's just stopped liking all 4 hardly used cartridges at the same time.
    Plus, I managed to print some colour images just fine on Thursday, Friday was the update, and today was first time printing since the update and I get this problem

Banned

ok, just thought ide mention just incase, sorry

Original Poster

sassie;5107780

ok, just thought ide mention just incase, sorry

No need to be sorry, all help is appreciated :thumbsup:

Banned

will have to make sure i tell daughter to not update if she gets prompted, so thanks and good luck in sorting it x

does this update the software on the PC or actually on the printer itself?

Do you think it would be possible to uninstall the software with the update and then re-install the original printer software to recognise the compatibles again?

I been using compatibles with my printer for about 3 years and they are cheap as chips, so dont want to be forced to pay overly inflated Epson ink prices. Cheers for the heads up dude. :thumbsup:

Banned

Take the printer back.
    You did not agree to only use Epson cartriges and neither did they insist that you do.

StevenA2000_uk;5108054

does this update the software on the PC or actually on the printer … does this update the software on the PC or actually on the printer itself?Do you think it would be possible to uninstall the software with the update and then re-install the original printer software to recognise the compatibles again?I been using compatibles with my printer for about 3 years and they are cheap as chips, so dont want to be forced to pay overly inflated Epson ink prices. Cheers for the heads up dude. :thumbsup:

I think the update is only for drivers. These are stored on your PC and not printer, and so if you uninstall everything and reinstall then you will be fine.

Sheep87;5108459

I think the update is only for drivers. These are stored on your PC and … I think the update is only for drivers. These are stored on your PC and not printer, and so if you uninstall everything and reinstall then you will be fine.

I think not.... If it was just drivers the user above should have had his printer working when he tried installing it on another PC

Sounds like a sneaky firmware update the the Epson itself

Hope I'm wrong.... I have 3 Epsons all using Comps....

maxmix

Original Poster

As far as I can tell it's been installed onto the printer itself as my laptop had no update applied to it, yet I get the same problem on that too.

I can't take the printer back, I've had it for 2 years.

It was only a few days ago that I emailed Consumable City, and in the reply I got the person mentioned Epson spending more time trying to get people to buy genuine cartridges than focusing on making decent printers.
    Makes sense seeing as most printer manufacturers usually make a loss on the printer itself, and then recover that loss by selling expensive cartridges.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling an older version of the software, but no luck. I also took the risk and replaced the cartridges with brand new compatibles and I still get the same error.

Maybe we just need to wait for a new chip that can bypass this check. I remember when I first got the printer about 2 years back, compatibles weren't working and I needed to wait for compatibles cartridges with a microchip that would work on this printer.

Thanks OP as this answers a similar problem I am encountering with using compats on my newish EPSON! :x

Any ideas on how best to bypass this expensive use of original carts from anyone would be much appreciated? :thumbsup:

I am using a refillable system I got from Ebay on my R360. Had no problems with them and have been using them for a while.

MrBrightside1987;5109050

As far as I can tell it's been installed onto the printer itself as my … As far as I can tell it's been installed onto the printer itself as my laptop had no update applied to it, yet I get the same problem on that too.I can't take the printer back, I've had it for 2 years.It was only a few days ago that I emailed Consumable City, and in the reply I got the person mentioned Epson spending more time trying to get people to buy genuine cartridges than focusing on making decent printers.Makes sense seeing as most printer manufacturers usually make a loss on the printer itself, and then recover that loss by selling expensive cartridges.I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling an older version of the software, but no luck. I also took the risk and replaced the cartridges with brand new compatibles and I still get the same error.Maybe we just need to wait for a new chip that can bypass this check. I remember when I first got the printer about 2 years back, compatibles weren't working and I needed to wait for compatibles cartridges with a microchip that would work on this printer.

100% Correct.... Printer modded with new firmware as such !

Epson and all the rest must lose millions in revenue with the cheap carts...

No doubt there will be bigger crackdows to come...

maxmix

Dammmmn...thanks for the heads up! I won't be installing any firmware updates to my all in one - paying about 86p per cartridge for the last two years and it's worked an absolute treat. I'm not about to start paying a fiver a cartridge again!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cool kettle Bosch kettle cashback won't work. Help!22
      2. Question for electrician on bathroom fan45
      3. Cheapest way to obtain Microsoft Office?45
      4. To buy Iphone 611

See more discussions